7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 10:57 AM by gator soup

FireFox 3.6 "Full Color Management" Value 1

gator soup Level 4

Hi,

A Mac user (and web publisher), the most frustrating problem I've seen is HOW Apple geniuses Default untagged-unmanaged color to Monitor RGB.

Mozilla-FireFox 3 (with color management enabled) was the first browser to work around this "Mac" problem by assuming sRGB on untagged color, however it was not 100 percent correct because it doesn't appear to Convert untagged sRGB to Monitor RGB.

However, I think FireFox 3.6x has an option that now gets color management on the Internet 100% correct (at least in theory).

By using FireFox 3.6.13 or later, and setting its about:config> gfx.color_management.mode to Value: 1

some interesting things happen, specifically:

Tagged Whacked RGB "matches" Un-tagged sRGB

As a publisher, this means I do not even need to embbedd ICC profile, and if I do, they won't conflict with Un-tagged color, in fact Tagged color will "match" Untagged RGB.

Of course, that means the world would have to use FireFox's approach...but it seems like how it should work.

I set up a rollover here to illustrate and test my point:

www.gballard.net/firefox/

• 1. Re: FireFox 3.6 "Full Color Management" Value 1
          Gary Politzer Level 2

Interesting. Safari, Firefox, Chrome & OmniWeb pass your test perfectly. Opera & Camino fail miserably.

• 2. Re: FireFox 3.6 "Full Color Management" Value 1
            gator soup Level 4
            Safari, Firefox, Chrome & OmniWeb pass your test perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback, Gary.

I assume you mean they are behaving as expected — Safari, Chrome, OmniWeb, FireFox3 on a Mac OSX display WhackedRGB properly, but a shift in the sRGB rollover — Fire Fox 3.6 with Value 1 displays a dead on "match"?

Or are you saying the Windows versions are all matching?

In any case, "matching" Tagged Whacked RGB with Untagged sRGB is a nice trick that seems simple and very desirable — I wonder why Apple can't see this and give us a Default RGB option other than Monitor RGB (which is confusing and makes little sense)...

• 3. Re: FireFox 3.6 "Full Color Management" Value 1
              Gary Politzer Level 2

I am out of my depth here, but I'll tell you what I see on my screen:

I am using a 2008 Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, driving an Apple 30" Cinema Display with a not-so-recent calibration. When I load your example page in the different browsers, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, & OmniWeb display a dead match on the top image. In other words, there is no difference between the rollover & the default states.  Camino and Opera look the same as the other browsers in the default state, but display a strong violet cast on rollover.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: FireFox 3.6 "Full Color Management" Value 1
                Level 4

Color management in Firefox 3.6.13 is still broken as far as ICC v. 4 profiles are concerned:

http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

It was fine several versions back, like in 3.0.12, then they changed the code and broke it.  Still expected to take some time to fix.  The question is whether it will be months or years. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: FireFox 3.6 "Full Color Management" Value 1
                  gator soup Level 4
                  2008 Mac Pro running Snow Leopard, driving an Apple 30" Cinema Display...When I load your example page in the different browsers, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, & OmniWeb display a dead match on the top image. In other words, there is no difference between the rollover

In the setup I outlined, the only way I could theorize a "match" between tagged WhackedRGB and untagged sRGB in OSX Safari is if your Monitor RGB equals sRGB (because Safari applies its monitor profile to untagged .jpg (for all pratical purposes)).

Can you look at this tagged-sRGB> untagged-sRGB rollover in Safari, Firefox, Chrome, & OmniWeb

(do they also MATCH, or is there a slight shift between tagged sRGB and untagged sRGB)?

www.gballard.net/photoshop/srgb_wide_gamut.html

If they also MATCH, I would look at Sys Pref> Displays> Color and see what profile is actually highlighted there (because a dead-on MATCH in Safari OSX would indicate your monitor profile is the same as sRGB), if I have the theory correct.

I am also on a 2008 MP, 30" ACD, 10.6.6.

+++++++

Ancient One,

Thanks for pointing that out, I had the color.org page at the bottom but I will move it up and add your note...

• 6. Re: FireFox 3.6 "Full Color Management" Value 1
                    Gary Politzer Level 2

OK -

Safari: very slight increase in redness for the untagged image (rollover).

Firefox: same

Chrome: same

OmniWeb: same

• 7. Re: FireFox 3.6 "Full Color Management" Value 1
                      gator soup Level 4
                      OK - Safari: very slight increase in redness for the untagged image (rollover)

Whew!!!...
                      by "match" I am talking about a visual "dead on" match.

Pulling tagged-WhackedRGB and untagged-sRGB out of the hat and matching them (as FF3.6Value1 is doing) is quite a trick, IMHO...