12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 10:54 AM by DakotaKyle

Scratch disk and other setup questions

DakotaKyle

Hello, I am a long time Premiere user but have never been involved with the setup. I have decided to start doing personal video editing on my gaming computer and have run into some questions.

The biggest one I have is with the scratch disk setup. I've read the help doc about 10 times and googled every combination of terms I can think of but am still unsure how I should set these for my setup.

I have Premiere Pro CS5 installed on my C:, which is a 128 GB SSD

For storage I have 4 1TB drives in Raid 5, so 2.72 TB total storage.

How do I want to set up my scratch disks for best possible performance?

Question 2: This might be related to scratch disk setup, I'm not sure, but something I have always wondered. Which disk should I save my projects to in this configuration? Does it matter? Then, do I want to render my final video to that same folder or to another disk?

Question 3: I currently have a GTX 460 graphics card and am enjoying the benefits of CUDA acceleration. I have been looking at adding a second in SLI for gaming purposes, but have read that the Mercury Playback Engine is not compatible with SLI. Does this mean that it will still just work with one card and I will see no benefit in premiere, or that all CUDA acceration will cease?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

• 1. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

SLI: No performance gain at all and possibly only compatibility issues or mysterious errors.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Hardware forum is really a better place http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

Once there, start by reading the overview articles from the drop down menu block

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
              the_wine_snob Level 9

First, SLI is not supported by PrPro, so it will do you no good, and may well get badly in the way.

You have only two HDD's, the SSD and the RAID, so you do not have many choices there.

Given your I/O setup, I would not worry about ultimate performance and just locate your Assets, your Projects and your Scratch Disks on the RAID.

In a more perfect world, I'd suggest separating out the Assets from the Projects, but that would mean another HDD (actually a good addition, as a 3x setup is better than a 2x setup).

In a most perfect world, you would separate out your Assets to one HDD, your Projects to another, your Scratch Disks to another, and Exports to yet another.

The above has one drawback - later housekeeping. I create a new folder for all Projects, and locate my Scratch Disks to that. This allows for the removal of that Project, and it takes all of the Scratch Disk files with it. Still, for ultimate performance, separating might get you a few points on the PrPro Benchmark scores, but doubt that you'd ever notice it, plus you have more work to do, when Deleting a finished Project. Your call there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                DakotaKyle Level 1

Wow, thanks guys! That was really fast! I actually have two drives in an older computer that is serving as a media server that I could steal to go with the 4 disk setup you mention Bill. I'm excited to try it out!

I'm a little worried about moving to SLI now though. I'll check the hardware forums as mentioned and see if anyone is out there doing it and what the results have been. I'll figure something out to balance my gaming/editing.

• 5. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Wow, thanks guys! That was really fast!

I'll say. When I started my response, there were no others. Imagine my surprise when I later saw that Harm and John T. had beaten me to the punch. I was going to go grab the URL for Harm's article, but now see that I'd have wasted my time. That is a great article on I/O for video-editing.

There is one recent post on SLI, plus I got confirmation from one Adobe Sr. Engineer, who emphatically stated, "Premiere does not support SLI." Now, as for issues, I suppose that some have none, it is just not used by PrPro/PrE. However, many others DO have issues, and removing one card nearly always clears those up.

So, only things that I can say are:

• PrPro does not use SLI
                  • Many users with SLI and issues clear those up by removing the second card

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - it seems to be the same for dual ATI cards in CrossFire configuration.

• 6. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>two drives in an older computer that is serving as a media server

Do not try to use any kind of a network connection for your active media... lots of messages about problems, since PPro is not designed to work with files on a network

• 7. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                      DakotaKyle Level 1

Thanks John, I wasn't planning on using them over the network. I recently upgraded storage in that server, and now have 3 unused disks. I just never took them out since I had the space and it's easier to store them there than anywhere else really.

As for the SLI, I've decided to cancel my order on the second GTX 460, sell my current 460, and ordered a GTX 580. From the benchmarks I have seen I should get similar gaming performance to two 460's, and it should solve my worries about issues in Premiere. I do have a question about people who are currently doing SLI though. Since it is not supported, is Premiere still using one of the cards like it would without SLI, or is it removing GPU acceleration altogether?

Thanks for all the help to a newbie! I can't believe the speed, knowledge and friendliness of this forum, never seen anything like it!

Also, thanks to whatever Mod moved this into the Hardware section for me!

• 8. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                        DakotaKyle Level 1

Alright, so I have the hdd's in the case and am setting up where to place everything, but each of my drives is different, so I am hoping someone can suggest best practice on which drives should hold what. I can rearrange any drive to suit any purpose you guys would suggest, but here is what I currently have set up:

C: - 128 GB SATA III SSD

D: - 150 GB 10k VelociRaptor

E: - 250 GB Caviar Black

F: - 4x 1 TB Spinpoint F4 7200 RPM in RAID 5

Here is how I am currently planning on using these drives:

C: - OS, Programs

D: - Media, Projects

E: - Previews, Exports

F: - Pagefile, Media Cache

When I am finished with a project I move the exported file onto my media server, so that is why I set the export onto the smaller drive and media cache onto the RAID.

Does this look good or would you guys suggest a different orientation for better performance?

And one other question, this time regarding RAM. I currently have 6 GB of DDR3, 3 x 2 GB. I have been reading all about how moving up to 24 GB would be very beneficial, and since it really isn't all that expensive, I am planning on doing so. My question is that, I have watched the task manager while rendering and exporting my videos and I've only ever seen RAM usage hit 1.8 GB. I wondered why it didn't get close to using all 6, but didn't worry about it too much. But now that I am hearing 24 would be helpful, I am wondering if I have something set up wrong that is stopping Premiere from using all my RAM?

Thank you guys so much for the help.

• 9. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

C: - OS, Programs, OK

D: - Media, Projects, Pagefile, Media cache

E: - Previews, Exports, OK

F: - Pagefile, Media Cache, Media, Projects

• 10. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                            DakotaKyle Level 1

Any comment on the RAM question? If it makes a difference, I usually export to H.264 .mp4, and my imported media is either H.264 .mp4 from either my GoPro HD or my Canon 7D.

• 11. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, for some reason Jive removed the formatting, so for clarity I will repeat a corrected version:

C: - OS, Programs, OK

D: - Pagefile, Media cache

E: - Previews, Exports, OK

F: - Media, Projects

I have to look again at your RAM question. Can't scroll back without posting first.

In the preferences you can allocate the amount of memory PR uses. Set that to maximum, usually around 70-75% of all installed memory.

On my 12 GB system, I often see usage of around 7-8 GB.

• 12. Re: Scratch disk and other setup questions
                                DakotaKyle Level 1

Thanks Harm! You're the best!