3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2011 6:37 PM by the_wine_snob

Audio Syncing Problems

mikec82 Level 1

I am a wedding videographer who has a few months ago switched from FCP to PrPro CS5. I am currently working on a wedding ceremony where I am experiencing some audio sync issues. I filmed the wedding with 3 high def cameras. The video was all filmed in 29.97 HDV, with 48000khz 32 bit audio. Additionally, I used lapel microphones for both the groom and the officiate, each recording to a device in WMA format. I used "free mp3 wma converter" (which may be part of the problem!) to convert the WMA to 480000khz 32-bit WAV files. After using HDV Split to make sure there were no breaks, I imported/captured everything into Premiere CS5. Once I dropped everything into the timeline, I located the part in each audio layer where the officate says "Thank you, you may be seated". I created unnumbered markers at the precise frame that begins, and all 3 video layers and 5 audio layers became synced. However, when I scroll further down the timeline, something has gone out of whack and I don't know whether its the video w/ audio layers, or if it's WMA files that I converted to WAV. Any help would be tremendous!

• 1. Re: Audio Syncing Problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several threads on using a separate Audio recorder, and the OOS issues. Much discussion has ensured by a few of us "old-timers,"who bemoaned how things used to be, when the cine camera was tethered to the Nagra, and one could set up either to provide the crystal sync, but that does not seem possible today with our great digital equipment. Ought to be easy, but there is a difference in the "clocks" used.

Hope I get this right, as I blew it last thread - one user with Zoom Audio recorder found that the Audio drifted by 100.3%, so just used the Time Stretch Tool w/ Maintain Pitch to adjust that. This took experimentation, but when he found the correct %, it fixed everything.

For general OOS issues, this ARTICLE might offer a few tips, but in the end, I think finding the % of drift, will fix everything for you, and with that same equipment, will always work. Testing now will pay dividends in the future.

For some additional background, I would Search this forum for "sync" and maybe filter on the_wine_snob (me), or Jim Simon, and read. Jim is the user, who found the exact % that his gear was off, and also does weddings.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - just ignore the old-timers moaning in our drool cups.

• 2. Re: Audio Syncing Problems
            mikec82 Level 1

Thanks. The audio from my Olympus recorder was running a little fast, so I set it to 99.8% and this seemed to fix things, at least for the first recorder. I'll try the other. Hopefully this percentage can be a figure I use over time, meaning less (or no!) experimentation in the future. With it being such a slight adjustment, I may try not using the  "maintain pitch" feature, since it sounds a little robotic (for lack of  better term) when its on. Thanks again - I'm blown away by your contributions to everyone on this forum!

• 3. Re: Audio Syncing Problems
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Absolutely great news. I hope that each has the same OOS %, and that number works for you.

I have to pay homage to Jim Simon for the "cure," as in the early days, all I was doing was moaning about "the good old days." He came forward with a faily elegant solution.

Still, it galls me, in this age of electronics and chips, that we cannot get 100% sync, with just a bit of silicon. Heck, my deck clock "phones home" to the "Atomic Clock" in Boulder, CO, to get the exact time. Of course, that clock does not realize that I am in Phoenix, AZ, and the time never changes here! Same for the clock in my wife's Mercedes. Twice a year, we have to reset both. Bogus!!!!

Good luck, and hope that the differential holds true for both.

Hunt