2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 3:01 AM by tfi productions 44

need advice on best 3d output format please?

tfi productions 44 Level 1

hello,

i've been researching  a lot on s3d shooting, editing, and display

i've added to Bill Hunt's thread on s3d links (in the PPRo forum)

at this point i've made some conclusions and would like others to comment

i hope Mylenium will get in on this because i recall seeing him respond well to

some other s3d threads here in AE  (apologies if i spelled your name wrong)

Polarized (aka Passive) versus Shutter (aka Active)

the main problem with the Passive Polarized systems is that the vertical resolution

gets split in half and sent to each eye (L,R)...so 1920x1080 becomes 1920x540 (for each eye)

i trust adobe forum users more than i do online reviews:

QUESTION:  is the 'drop' in vertical resolution from 1080 down to 540 noticeable?

QUESTION:  is there a way to render an output that doubles the vertical resoultion (eg. 2160)

so that the Passive display can still show the full resolution?

QUESTION:  i've read that DLP projectors have display problems compared to LCD projectors,

with this in mind, Is anyone running s3d output successfully on an LCD projector?

QUESTION:  Are Active Shutter glasses the only current way to keep the full resolution of the image,
      since Passive splits the vertical resoultion into each eye?

QUESTION:  Does anyone have good advice on an 'affordable' full HD display

(whether it be a monitor, a tv, or a projector)?

maybe it's like Hunt said earlier,  s3d technology is still new, and maybe now is not the time to invest in it...

thanks in advanace,

j

• 1. Re: need advice on best 3d output format please?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

QUESTION:  Are Active Shutter glasses the only current way to keep the full resolution of the image,
          since Passive splits the vertical resoultion into each eye?

Yes.

QUESTION:  is the 'drop' in vertical resolution from 1080 down to 540 noticeable?

Definitely! Just like 3D movies in cinemas always look somewhat soft...

QUESTION:  is there a way to render an output that doubles the vertical resoultion (eg. 2160)

so that the Passive display can still show the full resolution?

Nope. That is only now beginning to happen in cinemas, so it will be another 2 or 3 years before that makes its way into home theaters in whatever form. I believe LG or Samsung showed some display prototypes on this year's display show in Taiwan, though, but just like OLEDs, it will take a while to ready them for a wider market (and make them affordable).

Mylenium

• 2. Re: need advice on best 3d output format please?
            tfi productions 44 Level 1

hey M,

thanks a ton for your answers

i guess a few years of patience is in order then

have a nice weekend

j

hopefully by that time

autostereoscopic will be on its 3rd genereation or something