2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 7:56 AM by the_wine_snob

"Signal" error messages

Paul2903

Whenever I open either a new or old project, I receive the following two error messages:

Signal

Assertion failed:sSelf==ollsSelf==

reinterpret_cast<MessageData*>(instuff)->Self

and

Signal

Assertion failed:SAdapterSelf==o

I have no idea what these error messages mean (nor does New Delhi, it seems). I do have problems with projects, but expect this is because I have a single HDD spinning at 5400 rpms (with and i7 chip). Of course, none of the promotional or marketing material on the software says the two or three HDDs spinning at 7200 are necessary to use the program without headaches.

• 1. Re: "Signal" error messages
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you have a program called Visual Studio installed on your computer?

Otherwise, can you give us more information, per the notice at the top of this forum?

What operating system are you running? How much RAM do you have? How much free, defragmented space is on your computer? Is this a laptop? Are you saying you're editing to your C drive and you're not using another hard drive?

Which version of the program are you running?

Have you gone to the nVidia or ATI site and downloaded the latest drivers for your video card? Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime?

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and which project settings did you use in Premiere Elements?

• 2. Re: "Signal" error messages
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

I am not familiar with that particular error message, but most "signal" messages are generated by the monitor itself, and indicate an issue with the, well signal. This could be because of a bad cable, a bad video card, some problem in the monitor, or some problem with the general I/O (Input Output) of the computer.

I would look at the cable to the monitor first, at the video card next, then at the computer, and finally at the monitor itself.

You might have luck tracking that error down on the monitor's mfgr's. Web site, or from their support department.

If that then yields no good results, I'd address the video card next. What brand/model is it, and what is the driver version, number/date?

Also, as another user mentioned similar issues with 16-bit displays, what Color Depth setting are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt