11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 3:12 PM by Ann Bens

PrPro vs AE cs5

Keith_Clark Level 2

So I have been looking at exPanding to some 3rd party plug-ins, and some of them are only available for after effects, where as others are available for both AE and PrPro. To tell you the truth, AE really intimidates me. So I basically try to do everything I can in PrPro. I've done 2 different tasks in AE so far, and felt like I was in over my head both times. (it just seems to me the program itself is a little more cumbersome)   My question is, with a PI that reads it's compatible with both AE and PrPro, if I use it only in PrPro will I be missing out on anything performance wise? Or will the plug-ins work exactly the same in both programs? Plug-ins I'm looking at are Red Giants colorista and also instant hd. Haven't tried the trials yet, but if they do what I want, will they be any lacking just using them in PrPro?

• 1. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The plug-ins will have the same functionality on both platforms.

• 2. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
            Butch2oc Level 1

I have found that all of my plugins designed for AE have loaded into premiere on install. The only time they don't is if the pluging can work in 3d space (or 2.5D) because obviously prem does not work in 3D space. Trapcode particular is a good example, it won't load but shine will etc.

Cheers

• 3. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

To oversimplify only a little bit, the Premiere Pro plug-in API isa subset of the After Effects plug-in API. If an effect plug-in is written for After Effects, it _might_ work completely in Premiere Pro, and it might work partially in Premiere Pro. Or it might fail. If someone writes an effect plug-in that is actually intended to run in both programs, we ask them to ensure that any features that are in After Effects but not in Premiere Pro don't cause problems. In other words, we recommend that the failure be "graceful". But that graceful failure is not something that you can assume for a plug-in written for After Effects that you just happen to try in Premiere Pro.

What I'm saying is basically to be careful and to not assume that just because a plug-in loads in Premiere Pro that it will actually work without problems.

Adobe Technical Support doesn't support the use of plug-ins in Premiere Pro that were not created for Premiere Pro.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
                Keith_Clark Level 2

well, the plug-ins i am looking at are either only for after effects, or the specs say they are written for and compatible for both AE and PrPro out of box. so i was just mainly wondering if the actual program of AE gives you any more to work with considering horse power and under the hood, or is it all the same whichever host program you use. but it appears its the same. just whichever host your more comfy using.

• 5. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

After Effects does have some performance advantages for final renders, but Premiere Pro has different performance advantages for previews while you're working. I'm more comfortable doing things like color correction in After Effects, but others are more comfortable in Premiere Pro. I'd say that you're right about it mostly being a matter of personal preference.Outside of the context of color correction, the differences are much more stark; you'd be crazy to try to do much cutting in After Effects, and you'd be equally crazy to try to do much compositing in Premiere Pro.

• 6. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
                    shooternz Level 6

What plugins are you specifically looking at or wanting?

• 7. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

"Plug-ins I'm looking at are Red Giants colorista and also instant hd."

• 8. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
                        {KMS} Level 2

I would download the demos and see if they fit your needs.  Colorista II is a powerful plugin, but the performance lag in PPRO makes it cumbersome to work with.  I have opted to learn the built in PPRO color correction filters and with a little practice I would say that they are almost as powerful (I wish PPRO had some better masking in the color correction, the secondary keyer works well) and much more responsive...especially with hardware MPE.  The lag with Colorista stunts the creative process IMHO.  I would also test Instant HD compared to natively scaling video in After Effects.  The differences in my test have been negligible.  I have a lot of Magic Bullet plugins (Suite 10) and enjoy them, but I have found that third party plugins are not always more powerful.

Just my two cents.

• 9. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                          > Colorista II is a powerful plugin, but the performance lag in PPRO makes it cumbersome to work with.

Even after the 5.0.3 update? That update includes a fix that addresses a performance problem in Colorista.

• 10. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not know for Instant HD but Colorista CS5 installes itself in Common so it shows up in Pro and AE.

Edit: Colorista edits much beter/snappier since 5.0.3. update.

• 11. Re: PrPro vs AE cs5
                              {KMS} Level 2

I have applied the update and the plugin is usable, but I guess I am just spoiled with how responsive the built in color correction options are.