13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2011 9:29 AM by Jim_Simon

DVD Export - Problems

Oelenberger4

Hello,

I shot some video a while back and I am trying to make a DVD with the footage.  I have several questions and any help would be greatly appreciated!

First Camera: JVC GZ-HD5

I used the 1440CBR (1440x1080i, 27Mbps Constant Bit Rate) record setting.

Is there are difference if I capture the footage versus taking the file off the camera?  The camera files are .tod files and I have to change the file extension to .m2ts for them to import in to Premiere?

Second Camera: Sony SD Camcorder

If I want to make a DVD using both cameras footage which sequence preset should I use?

What is the best option for exporting to DVD?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: DVD Export - Problems
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

With non-tape cameras, one cannot Capture, but must Import instead.

Now, you are talking about HD footage, and mention DVD, which is SD. Are you planning on down-rezzing the HD footage to SD, or are you doing BD, which will be HD?

For your mixed Assets (do not know the specs. of the footage from the second camera), do you plan on mixing those on one Timeline, or will one camera's footage be on a separate Timeline, and the other's footage be on another?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: DVD Export - Problems
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Capturing and importing are two complete different aminals. Those actions are about as similar as a snake and an eagle.

Capturing is done over firewire from tape based cameras, importing can only be done from disk or flash card based cameras. The are not interchangeable.

The sequence does not matter, you can intermix both formats in the same time-line, but the most practical approach is to drag the most used format to the New Item icon in the project panel, which automatically creates the correct sequence settings and use the other format in that same sequence as well. It may reduce the amount of rendering required for previews.

• 3. Re: DVD Export - Problems
              Jim_Simon Level 8

the most practical approach is to drag the most used format to the New Item icon in the project panel

I disagree.  Knowing final delivery will be DVD, it would make no sense to uprez the SD to work in an HD timeline, then downrez that whole thing to fit on DVD.  If he has any SD at all, and will be delivering on DVD, he should be working in an SD sequence.

• 4. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Have you considered he may be talking about an SD (Secure Digital) card HD camera, probably AVCHD.

If he is talking about a standard definition camera, then I agree.

• 5. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                  Oelenberger4 Level 1

Thank you both.  I will be putting this on a standard definition DVD.

Sorry the second camera is a standard definition camera.  I guess I will use

the standard definition time line and re size the HD footage.  What is the

best way to resize?  In the manual for the JVC HD camcorder it is noted that

the 1440CBR should be captured using ilink?  What would be the difference in

capturing versus dragging files off the camera?  I have tried a couple of

times to make a DVD but the quality is if horrific.

Thanks

• 6. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't do Mac, but I **think** ilink is a Mac's way of saying Firewire in the PC world

• 7. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

There are two quick and easy ways to resize your HD footage to SD. The first I'm not sure about, the second I know works.

1) Select it in your bin and choose the "Clip | Modify | Interpret Footage" command, and make your adjustment there, bringing it to match the framerate and frame size of your SD footage (be careful, though, not to "squash" your video if you've got 4:3 SD...)

2) Select your clips in the timeline, right click, and select "Scale to Frame Size." This may perhaps be the best option, though may not be as quick as selecting it all at once in the bin. Note that you can select multiple clips in the timeline by pressing the "A" key on your keyboard and then clicking on your first clip. It will select that clip and all that follow it.

As to the instructions in your user manual, it sounds like it's asking you to brink the footage in over firewire, which isn't the proper workflow for digital format stuff... If the footage works copied to your computer and changed to mts files, then go that route. If PrPro doesn't recognize it, then you'll need to figure a different way to ingest it. However, playing back and capturing over firewire doesn't seem to be a very sensible option.

• 8. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The iLink designation is most often seen on Sony products and on the Mac for IEEE-1394a.

Hunt

• 9. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                          kdoc2 Level 1

Precisely what settings would you use for the DVD? Do you go to 720 x 480,   use whatever framerate you wish,  and chose pixel aspect ratio seems to fit the original camera. Note I asked a similar question somewhat later, without seeing this thread.

kdoc

• 10. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

This Encore FAQ Entry covers all DVD/BD supported formats. Not sure if anything important has been added for CS5, but if so, it will be in Flash/Web DVD's, as the specs. are set pretty much in "stone."

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 11. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                              Keith_Clark Level 2

dcmtnrider wrote:

I have tried a couple of

times to make a DVD but the quality is if horrific.

Thanks

<rant> from my experience, basically all interactions with JVC tapeless media has left little to be desired. i have not messed with any .tod files, but have done many dvds in .mod format because i had gotten the very first JVC tapeless cam in 2004ish. the .mod files are.... almost imposible to work with, outside of using cyberlink. i tried sony. i tried adobe. i tried FCP and all results... were dismal. (i was filming in 16x9 and no program would accurately flag the footage) then i just realized.... jvc tapeless cams themselves were the problem. the cam was just terrible.the ONLY way i could get the widescreen footage to show up as widescreen other than using cyberlink software was to use http://www.cyberlink.com/products/mediaespresso/overview_en_US.html and convert to a .mpg file. then it worked in the other NLEs, but the video quality was always poor.

.mod (sd) and .tod (hd) are both just straight up mpeg2 file extensions, and as such... dont agree with being "edited" much. your best bet with these cams is using the pack is software or PrE and burn directly to disc after making cuts. (in my experience)

basically... jvc tapeless cams (from my experience, and IMHO) only work well outside, on a summers day. otherwise... its not even worth it to hit the power button. :-/ hopefully they have improved in the last year or so... </rant>

• 12. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I've not had experience with the older JVC tapeless cams, or any of the consumer version JVC cams, however I can vouch for JVC's professional (GY-series) line of tapeless cams in PrPro CS5... editing is a dream!

• 13. Re: DVD Export - Problems
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  use whatever framerate you wish

No, use the one that matches your footage.