10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 9:41 PM by dwarrenk

ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed

binar0101

Fellow Forum Members,

I'm building a system to run Premiere Pro at an optimum level.  However, the conflict I'm encountering relates to Quad Monitor Support.  Every single CUDA card offered by Nvidia (i.e., GTX 580, Quadro 4000, 5000, 6000) seem to only offer Dual monitor support.  The third mini HDMI port is worthless since it doesn't run together with the two DVI ports.  Not happy with Nvidia about this decision.

I'm building a Windows 7 64 bit system and It's my understanding that if I want to run Premiere Pro CS5 using the Mercury engine to speed  up rendering, then the only game in town is an Nvidia Quadro graphics card.  I wouldn't have a problem with this only if Nvidia would offer a video card with Quad Monitor support like ATI does with the 8800 card they sell.

So my question is, "Does Premiere Pro render at the same speed on an ATI 8800 card vs. a Quadro 4000/5000?"  If the answer is yes, then I'm buying the ATI 8800 since this card supports  4 monitors.  If the answer is that the ATI 8800 is slightly slower with rendering, then I'm still buying an ATI 8800 since a slight difference in rendering doesn't matter that much to me.   However, if the answer is that Premiere Pro rendering on an ATI 8800 is serioiusly handicapped.  Then I have a problem, since I really want Quad monitor support and Premiere Pro to render fast.

I hope to hear back from Premiere Pro users that have used Premiere Pro on platforms equipped with ATI 8800 and / or Nvidia 4000, or 5000.  Did you notice any performance change between ATI 8800 and Quadros? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> "Does Premiere Pro render at the same speed on an ATI 8800 card vs. a Quadro 4000/5000?"

No.

The Nvidia cards mentioned provide CUDA processing features that speed many things up---some by a lot.

See this thread for details about CUDA processing.

• 2. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
            Harm Millaard Level 7

You have a problem!!!

Generally the speed difference is a factor ten or more that the nVidia cards are faster than any ATI card for rendering.

Look at the results page of the PPBM5 Benchmark and notice where the results come out for software MPE only. Those are indicated in the 'CPU/GPU MPE on' column with NONE.

• 3. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
              binar0101 Level 1

Thanks to all for their post.

I guess for those of us who want to buy a graphics card that is able to support 4 monitors as well as supporting Premiere's Mercury playback engine are out of luck.

The only solution I see is having to buy two Quadro 4000 / 5000 cards which would be insane.

Is Adobe going to keep Premiere's Mercury playback engine exclusive only to Nvidia cards forever?   I would like them to offer it to ATI cards (such as the ATI Firepro V8800) as well for those of us that want the option to run 4 monitors.

• 4. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Is Adobe going to keep Premiere's Mercury playback engine exclusive only to Nvidia cards forever?

That question is addressed in the thread that I pointed to in my previous post.

• 5. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you consider a GTX 460 and a 570/580? Much less expensive than the rather overrated Quadro cards, unless you need 10 bit output. Now that would be insane with 4 monitors.

Keep in mind that the nVidia drivers are designed for two monitors max, so you may run into problems with using four for a single application.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
                    Jim_Simon Level 9

I'm curious why anyone would want four monitors?

• 7. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
                      binar0101 Level 1

Besides video editing I do online trading. Therefore, I need all the monitor real estate possbile to look at charts while I do some editing.

I find this entire arrangement that Adobe has with Nvidia very difficult to accept.   Nvidia is asking a lot of money for video cards that miss the mark in one critical area which is Quad Monitor support.  Adobe should pressure Nvidia to come out with a card that supports 4 monitors as well as their Mercuring playback engine.  Making customers have to compromise is not a smart way of doing business.

• 8. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
                        icegene

Hi there,

I was wondering if you have found an alternative solution to buying two quadros. I once came across a post in the nvidia forums about putting a Geforce Card and a Quadro in the same machine...

Also, I've seen that GeForces don't need to be in SLI to give you more than 2 monitors but you will need more than one card. Two cards in SLI will only support 2 monitors while a third card can support another 2. giving you 4 ports. As seen on the link, you might be able to pull of up to 6.

Alternatively, there is the Quadro NVS cards that have up to 4 display ports.

Hope this helps!

• 9. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

icegene wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering if you have found an alternative solution to buying two quadros. I once came across a post in the nvidia forums about putting a Geforce Card and a Quadro in the same machine...

Also, I've seen that GeForces don't need to be in SLI to give you more than 2 monitors but you will need more than one card. Two cards in SLI will only support 2 monitors while a third card can support another 2. giving you 4 ports. As seen on the link, you might be able to pull of up to 6.

Alternatively, there is the Quadro NVS cards that have up to 4 display ports.

Hope this helps!

Heaven forbid SLI and Premiere together, do not even think about it.

Here is my suggestion.

Just for you I tried adding a GTX 550 Ti to my system which has a GTX 580.  I had two monitors on my GTX 580 and while I did not have two more spare monitor I did have of additional 1920 x 1200 monitor.  I powered up and it found and installed another driver for the GTX 550 Ti, I do not know why it did not install a second copy of the 267.59 driver but installed 266.58.  It all worked I then had three surfaces all connected and then I ran our PPBM5 benchmark and it was not affected by the the addition of the second board.  By default it used the CUDA of the first board.  Of course I cannot guarantee other drivers or other GPU's or for that matter other motherboards. Make sure you have lots of power available I would not mix Quadros and GeForce boards and why would you want to anyway.  After all that I suspect that when you add the other realtime software you probably will ruin any editing capability you might of had.

I just took a look at the prices, the two board nVidia solution is about half the cost of your ATI V8800 solution!

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 10. Re: ATI 8800 vs. Quadro 4000 / 5000 Rendering Speed
                            dwarrenk

I have been running 4 monitors for about 1 1/2 years now (ATI Radeon HD 3450 card - 1 card drives 4 monitors) To access the Mercury rendering engine, I had to switch to NVIDEO GTX570... I tried it with my ATI card to have 6 monitors..... (blue screen of death every 3 minutes) Removed the ATI card, ...so, I'll buy another GTX570 & go back to 4 monitors... heck, I've even thought of using a video projector & shooting a picture 5-6 foot wide. My Asus P6TD motherboard has 1 PCIe x 16 slots and 2 PCIe 2.0x16 slots, If the GTX wasn't $339.99 each, I would buy 3 and utilize all 6 monitors.