7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2011 11:57 AM by A.T. Romano

processor speed for HDV/Blu-ray in PE9

Owl Boy Level 1

Hello All

First post for me.

I just purchased Premiere Elements 9. I loaded it on my current computer, where it limps along. (2 GHz processor). However, I am in the act of getting a new box.

My question is - I see the following spec for PE9:

2GHz or faster processor with SSE2 support; 3GHz processor required for HDV or Blu‐ray

But when I look at new computers, even many expensive gaming packages do not have as much as 3 GHz. The standard seems to be 2.8 GHz.Would anyone care to comment on this specification? I am new to video processing....maybe I shouldn't worry about HDV (I am mainly interested in making videos for youtube and to burn to DVD).

Thanks much -

Owl Boy

• 1. Re: processor speed for HDV/Blu-ray in PE9
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)

Minimum TWO hard drives, THREE are better

Since Premiere Elements is 32bit, you don't need 64bit Windows 7 - Win7 32bit with 4Gig ram will work

But, if you are ever going to upgrade to Premiere Pro, you want Win7 64bit Pro and 12Gig or 24Gig of ram

• 2. Re: processor speed for HDV/Blu-ray in PE9
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with John T. A fast i7 will make editing of HD material much nicer, and especially so, if one is using AVCHD material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: processor speed for HDV/Blu-ray in PE9
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

Based on what this user has posted here and elsewhere, the user appears to want to know (in the real world) if editing HDV is possible at all in Premiere Elements 9 especially or Premiere Elements in general if the processor clock speed is less than 3 GHz and does not meet the blanket pronouncement in the Adobe System Requirements.

As I have said before, many users have and are editing HDV in Premiere Elements with processor with clock speed less than 3 GHz, but there are a lot of other variables thrown into the mix like numbers of cores, available RAM, virtual address space, and free hard drive space to name a few.

This user posts the Adobe statement...

"2GHz or faster processor with SSE2 support; 3GHz processor required for HDV or Blu‐ray".

and questions the "required" in that statement. I have edited HDV successfully in Premiere Elements in computers with processors with clock speed less than 3 GHz but with a lot of other computer details factoring in.

With regard to the comment about Premiere Elements being a 32 bit application and mention of upgrading to Premiere Pro. It should be included that Premiere Pro CS5 is the first 64 bit application in that series and thus should be able to take full advantage of the 64 bit resources. Reminder, Premiere Pro CS4 was only "optimized for 64 bit" which addressed virtual memory aspects rather than RAM (physical memory). And, before that, the others were just 32 bit applications without any optimization for 64 bit.

I think this boils down to "nicer" versus "possible". I would agree on nicer but possible with good success depending on more than just processor clock speed of processor.

ATR

• 4. Re: processor speed for HDV/Blu-ray in PE9
                the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I could be wrong on this, but believe that the "minimum system requirements" are for a single-core CPU. As you know, and state, the number of cores will have a big effect. A Quad-core CPU at 2.5GHz will offer more power than a single-core CPU at 3GHz - slightly more than 3x the computing power.

Now, I could be horribly wrong there, but given the nature of the "minimum system requirements," I cannot imagine that Adobe is saying that one would need a Quad-core at 3GHz, and especially for HDV. Even with AVCHD, one would not need that power, though every bit of CPU performance there, will be appreciated.

Remember, I am just guessing a bit.

As far as John T's other comments, regarding the OS and the possibility of upgrading to PrPro, I do not see any issue. They might not apply to the OP, but seem correct to me. Is there something that you find problematic?

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: processor speed for HDV/Blu-ray in PE9
                  Owl Boy Level 1

Thanks for the replies....Just what I was looking for.

[FWIW I tried asking the same question in elementsvillage, but am having all kinds of mechanical problems with that forum. This one works fine for me.]

I will leave this thread open the rest of the day in case more opinions surface.

Thanks again.

• 6. Re: processor speed for HDV/Blu-ray in PE9
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Heck, most of us usually complain about the Jive software, that powers THIS forum!

ATR is a frequent contributor, and maybe a MOD on the ElementsVillage forum, so maybe in that thread, he can also help with the forum structure. Other than to follow a few threads over there, I have to admit to not really using that forum, so cannot help with its workings, or structure.

Good luck, and I am sure that a few more will weigh in on recs.

Hunt

• 7. Re: processor speed for HDV/Blu-ray in PE9
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

OB

What has been written here is essentially the same as what is written in your thread on the same topic that you have posted elsewhere. The important matter is that you are getting the information that you need in considering your video editing needs.

You did manage to get through to posting at least two threads at that other forum, so the connect appears to be there. Where is the hang up? Do you get a chance to write your post but are having problems when you hit the Submit button? If so, please send a quick Private Message to me at that other forum, and I will try to iron out the problems so that you can enjoy your visits there and come away with Premiere Elements solutions when you seek them there.

I look forward to working with you here or at that other forum.

ATR