12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 11:18 PM by kdoc2

Sequence Settings

kdoc2 Level 1

I've been editing a video from a 720 HD camera, so I've set my Sequence for 1280x720, 29.97, PAR = (1.0) -- and I hope this can be used for Blue Ray. Is this OK?

But I also want to make it for a standard DVD, which of course won't be 16:9. What settings do I use? I assume I want 720x480? Do I go into New Sequence--General--

Editing Mode--Desktop

29.97, (1.), 30 fps drop frame timecode?

What do you do about the fact that some of the video is now cut off: In premiere do you just have to readjust all the clips under Video Effects--Motion?

Do I make two different sequences in Premiere, or do I let my exporting or dynamic linking to Encore do this?

kdoc

• 1. Re: Sequence Settings
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The easiest way is to use one sequence and export to MPEG2-DVD or let Encore handle it.

• 2. Re: Sequence Settings
            kdoc2 Level 1

Thank you Harm,

If you

(1) use File--Export: Do you "Match Source Attributes--High Quality" for the Blu Ray?

Why not use MPEG2-Blu-Ray? And then which of the Presets?

And use NTSC for the regular DVD--and which one, Wide Screen, High Quality? (i.e.-what do each of these choices mean??)

And you set Quality Slider to ?

And Maximum render Quality for both?

Or do you (2) just use Dynamic Link, and let Encore handle the  settings?

Is there a good source for reading and choosing on each of the Presets and settings?

I take it from your answer that it doesn't matter?

kdoc

• 3. Re: Sequence Settings
              Jim_Simon Level 8

720p/30 actually isn't an HDTV or Blu-ray standard.  At 720p, you can onily do 24 or 60 fps.  So if your camera actually shoots at 30 fps, that may cause some issues for a Blu-ray (though it'll work fine for a DVD export).

• 4. Re: Sequence Settings
                kdoc2 Level 1

That's very helpful Jim. Although I thought you could just plug in whatever

you wanted for Premier (or Encore) i.e. mix and match unquote, and

they'd take care of it. For example, it shows me that it will do an output of 24 for the BluRay even though the source is 29.97. Are you saying that the change in frame rate causes some distortion?

kdoc

• 5. Re: Sequence Settings
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Encore is very strict in what it will accept (needs to be DVD/BD compliant), and will not do much in the way of "whipping the Assets into shape." It assumes that one has done all the compliance in PrPro, before it sees the material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Sequence Settings
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Yes, changing frame rates will cause issues.  You should shoot and edit in the frame rate you intend to use for delivery.  (The exception being over/undercranking.)

The corollary to that is you should edit and deliver at the frame rate you shot at.  The problem is, Blu-ray won't do 720p/30.  (Which means if you intend to deliver on Blu-ray you should not be shooting at that rate.)

The upshot of all this is basically "know what you're doing before you do it".  (Or at the very least, practice with shots that don't matter.)  This way you get the best final product with a minimum of issues cropping up on you.

• 7. Re: Sequence Settings
                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                      The problem is, Blu-ray won't do 720p/30.  (Which means if you intend to deliver on Blu-ray you should not be shooting at that rate.)

Nonsense. Edit in 720/30p, and then nest in a 720/60p sequence or just export to 720/60p, with frame blending disabled. You'll get a 2:2 progressive pulldown that is visually identical to the original 30p.

So, maybe nominally it's not 30p, but aesthetically, it is.

• 8. Re: Sequence Settings
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                        Edit in 720/30p, and then nest in a 720/60p sequence or just export to 720/60p, with frame blending disabled. You'll get a 2:2 progressive pulldown that is visually identical to the original 30p

Well, that's a head-slapper for me!  I've never tried exporting 720p30 as 720p60.  Did it work in CS4 as well?

It still won't get rid of the problems that go along with shooting @ 30p: poor motion resolution and less film-looking than 24p.  I still recommend avoiding shooting at that frame rate.

-Jeff

• 9. Re: Sequence Settings
                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                          Well, that's a head-slapper for me!  I've never tried exporting 720p30 as 720p60.  Did it work in CS4 as well?

Probably--don't see why it wouldn't.

It still won't get rid of the problems that go along with shooting @ 30p: poor motion resolution and less film-looking than 24p.  I still recommend avoiding shooting at that frame rate.

Maybe for TV-type display, but it's my preferred framerate for material destined solely for the web. Works great in both SD (480/30p) and HD (720/30p or 1080/30p). I think it looks better than 24p on the web (though obviously at a slightly-higher bitrate cost), and it doesn't suffer any of the deinterlacing issues associated with 60i... just to wind up at 30p.

Back when I had cable, one of my favorites shows (Good Eats) went to 30p production. Not that I watch them (really), but I've seen several "serials" like soap operas that use 30p, as well. It certainly depends on the content and subject material, but I think 30p can work in certain scenarios.

• 10. Re: Sequence Settings
                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Probably--don't see why it wouldn't.

Well, CS4 didn't do things right when going from 60p to 60i, so it's possible that 30p to 60p wasn't handled correctly, either.    CS5 has been great in the 60p to 60i case.

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Sequence Settings
                              Colin Brougham Level 6
                              Well, CS4 didn't do things right when going from 60p to 60i, so it's possible that 30p to 60p wasn't handled correctly, either.    CS5 has been great in the 60p to 60i case.

This is true. One would like to believe that 30p -> 60p would require less "brains" on Premiere's part

Now, why can't CS5 be better when going 60i to 30p?

• 12. Re: Sequence Settings
                                kdoc2 Level 1

Now you guys have kinda lost me. Can you say what you agree about--what can and cannot be done with regard to changing frame rates?

kdoc