2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2011 2:51 PM by holden driver

FCP XML import questions... is it doing it correctly?

holden driver Level 1

Hi Guys,

Firstly I'd like to say how impressed I am of how the Audition Developers are being actively involved in the this forum. Well done.

Now, please correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't been a user of AA3, only CE2. So I could be reporting something that's meant to work this way.

I opened up a FCP sequence (with multiple video tracks) and decided to export it to be able to see what it's all like. So, File, Export, XML, Format is "Apple XML Interchange Format, version 5" with include master clips and save with metadata. All good, export completes in about 2 seconds.

I then open that XML session in AA and I get a bunch of files loading (in the background too- love it!). Now, my quick question is should it be doing this:

In my seqence, I've removed the audio from the multiple videos, (just deleted those section of the clips as it's a music video with 'quiet video', and a single audio track laid as the master and the only audio.

Should, AA load all the video files and their audio associated, but not add them to the project like it's done, but more so, there is only 1 video clip displaying on the video line in aa, which, that part of the clip isn't even shown in the entire video clip anyway. Is this kind of thing whereby you have multiple camera angles in the sequence where AA gets a little confused of what to show? Would it be a codec issue? The videos are 1080p from a Canon 7D?

Cheers,

Steve

PS. By the way, love the idea of the work flow from FCP to AA, then back again. When coming from using AA/CE to going to Sound Track I was never satisfied. I think this solution much better!

• 1. Re: FCP XML import questions... is it doing it correctly?
          Charles VW Adobe Employee

holden driver wrote:

Now, my quick question is should it be doing this:

In my seqence, I've removed the audio from the multiple videos, (just deleted those section of the clips as it's a music video with 'quiet video', and a single audio track laid as the master and the only audio.

Should, AA load all the video files and their audio associated, but not add them to the project like it's done, but more so, there is only 1 video clip displaying on the video line in aa, which, that part of the clip isn't even shown in the entire video clip anyway. Is this kind of thing whereby you have multiple camera angles in the sequence where AA gets a little confused of what to show? Would it be a codec issue? The videos are 1080p from a Canon 7D?

Audition currently only supports one video track, and one video clip on that track.  It is a lot of work to support all the video transitions, text crawls and everything else.

What I can say about the intent of the workflow is that we wanted to at least accommodate those who do audio post, and already have a reference video from which to work.  So if the editor creates a final or even rough cut in the NLE, they could render the video edit to a single video file and then export that sequence to the DAW via FCP XMEML.  All of the audio clips' edits/crossfades/levels/keyframes should be imported into Audition.  In other words, we were trying to get to a level that was on par with typical OMF workflows where you'd send the audio editor an OMF with all the audio clips + handles, and an accompanying single video file that they could edit against.

If you can try it that way, perhaps render a DV QuickTime .mov file, place that in a sequence with all the audio clips, and then send the XML to Audition, let me know how that goes.  Also, try exporting an OMF from FinalCut Pro and importing that into Audition and make sure that the XML and OMF are on par with each other.   There will be some slight differences due to the limitations in each of the interchange formats, but both should be usable for real work.

While I'm thinking about it, some other tidbits to using FCP XML:

• We don't import the Audio Units plug-ins from the XML that were used in FCP.  Although you can add those plug-ins manually in Audition
          • The FCP XML Export from Audition is really basic in the Public Beta.  It has since been improved and will be better in the actual release.

PS. By the way, love the idea of the work flow from FCP to AA, then back again. When coming from using AA/CE to going to Sound Track I was never satisfied. I think this solution much better!

Thanks, keep the feedback coming.

• 2. Re: FCP XML import questions... is it doing it correctly?
            holden driver Level 1

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the detailed resonse.

I've tried a few things you've said and I can understand what you are saying regarding creating a quick mixdown of the video file and reinserting it in. This idea works fine - kind of.

The only trouble is with doing that is that because I've got multiple video clips still in the project AA still gets confused as it which one to load as that "one" clip that is should use as the 'master' clip.

I over came this by a copying and pastng everything to a new sequence and then deleting all of the tracks of video except this new 'master' video track. Exported it again as an XML, loaded it, that seemed to do the trick.

A quick idea... not sure if it's worth doing, or would be easy. But what if the import facility opens a prompt and shows all the video files attachd with the file sorted by length, or even the tracks - to give you a better idea of which track/video it should display as the main video to sync with. specifically so we don't have to do that extra sequence change.

I say this suggestion because even though I was able to export this XML file fine and import it, (and import back to FCP without any problems) AA was picking a video clip that isn't even used in the sequence. So I just found it a little strange still.

These are just my ramblings I guess.

I'm yet to give the OMF a chance. Hopefully very soon.