12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 10:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Urgent Exporting Help!

paulsearle Level 1

Trying to export a big project, problem seems to be that all of the keyframe animation with photoshop files aren't exporting. Just black space, then where the video comes in it seems to work correctly. Ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the PSD's?

This most often happens when one has overly-large still images. Remember, only the pixels that comprise the Frame Size of the Sequence can ever be seen at any time. If you are shoving around a bunch of unnecessary pixels, you will be stressing your computer, more than is necessary. This ARTICLE might be useful.

Also, make sure that ll PSD's are in RGB Color Mode, and 8-bit Color Depth.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
            paulsearle Level 1

Bill thank you so much for the response. This sounds exactly like the issue. I am not at the computer at the moment so I don't know the exact dimensions of the PSDs but they are large and the computer has been running extremely slow when editing them (many layers and keyframe animation).

I believe this article has given me enough information to fix the problem; just save_as a backup, resize the PSDs in photoshop with the same names and then replace the folder and it should find them with the same keyframes and everything intact.

One question I do have is that I have been using the large files obviously, when I replace them with smaller images will they shrink in proportion to what I shrank the larger images to fit my canvas?

I'll just have to figure out how small to resized them because I am working in a RED ONE sequence so it's larger than 720x480.

I very much appreciate the help, this will get me out of a bind.

Paul

• 3. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

I hope that it is only the overly-large stills, causing the issue.

When that article was written, most folk were editing SD Projects, hence the 720 x 480 dimensions. Now, HD is more the norm, and with 2K or 4K material, the sizes will need to go up to match those Project Frame Sizes.

Prior to CS5 (see some input from Todd down-thread in that article), there were two compelling reasons to Scale to approximately the Frame Size: quality of Scaling and also resources to push the extra pixels. With MPE, Adobe was able to do a better job with the Scaling algorithms, than previously, so the admonition on quality, due to Scaling algorithms no longer is true, but the resources to push those pixels is still in effect.

PrPro can handle some pretty large stills, if one just looks at the program. However, there is overhead with each, and the computer will usually give up, before the program will. Add a bunch, and even a stout workstation will likely have an issue. If one does have many large stills, and they do need all the pixels, say for long slow Pans on a Zoomed out image, then AE is a better choice. It will first handle larger stills, and does so in a way that the resources of the computer are not used up so quickly.

As an example, I have one SD Project with 3000+ stills, though most are sized exactly to the Frame Size of 720 x 480. My workstation has no issues with that Project and it edits, Exports and functions very smoothly. On the same workstation, I had a small SD Project with about 6 4000 x 4000 stills (below the max pixel dimensions for PrPro), and it brought the computer to its knees. I just could not edit, with only a few Tracks, and animations on those "photo walls." Took that to AE, and it was smooth as silk. Now, by today's standard, the workstation is passe, but you can see that with two SD Projects, the same computer works fine with all those Scaled images, but choked on only a half-dozen very large ones. I hit the "ceiling" in the second Project. In your case, with your machine and CS5, there is a ceiling, but yours is just much, much higher than mine was.

Good luck, and please let us know how things work out. Like I said, I hope that is all that is happening, and that Scaling will get you well below any ceiling.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                paulsearle Level 1

I hope so too. If I already suffered through the slow editing and the waiting, have my keyframes and animation just how I want it I should be able to export directly from Premiere Pro through Adobe Encoder correct? This is my first Premiere project, I'm coming from Final Cut Pro and so I've made my way through. But to switch to After Effects would take too much time to learn, I am on a tight deadline, that has actually passed.

Could I ask if I am exporting correctly, maybe that is my issue. We're going to DVD so maybe I exported the wrong presets or codec or something and that's why my images did not show?

How should a workflow work from PremirePro to a DVD-size file?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you planning on doing the down-rezzing from HD (or 2K/4K) from PrPro, to get to the the DVD authoring? The reason that I ask is that some users will Export at full-rez and then use other Encoders to get to the DVD specs.

Before I start just throwing out suggestions, that might not yield the ultimate results for you, if you can give us your desired workflow to DVD, then folk can give you direct suggestions.

Good luck, and thanks for the workflow info,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                    paulsearle Level 1

I would like to export from PrPro at full resolution and then encode it to get it down to the correct size for DVD duplication.

I had previously tried this and this is when the PSDs did not export and left the black area. I don't have the exact specs that I exported with in front of me but I will post them when I get access to them.

So I guess in a typical workflow, 2k red sequence to full res export what are my specs?

Thanks again

• 7. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that info.

At this point, I will step aside,and let others with RED and CS5 experience chime-in. They will be able to take your desired workflow and offer the exact settings and methods, that will get you the best results. Look for replies by Colin, Craig (ShooterNZ), and other RED shooters to step up to the plate.

Please keep us posted on the stills and their animation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                        paulsearle Level 1

Appreciate all the information Bill. I will keep an eye out for those other posters.

• 9. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                          paulsearle Level 1

So I'm sitting in front of the workspace now and it looks like I had just used the wrong codec instead of H.264 to get it into a quicktime file and for one reason or another it didn't render out the animations.

It seems to be working now with H.264

Aprreciate all of the help and sorry for the round about way of getting to the answer.

Paul

• 10. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

Got my fingers crossed for the H.264 CODEC.

Good luck, and let us know how that works.

Hunt

• 11. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                              paulsearle Level 1

So I had two problems, neither of which had to do with the photoshop files themselves.

First was that I used a weird codec that for some reason didn't like the animations and just didn't render them. When I switched to Quicktime and H.264 everything worked perfectly.

Secondly, I had the aspect ratio wrong, it had to be set to square pixels to get the correct ratio without any letterboxing.

Thanks for all of the help.

Paul

• 12. Re: Urgent Exporting Help!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Paul,

You are most welcome, and thank you for reporting what worked for you.

Good luck,

Hunt