8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2011 8:51 AM by eidnolb onlyone RSS

Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari

Gaines Whitcomb Community Member

Apparently a common problem! Just recently "updated" and began having occasional crashes. Here's my current info:

Mac OS X -   Version 10.5.8

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini3,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MM31.0081.B06

SMC Version (system): 1.35f0

Serial Number (system): YM90446319Y

Hardware UUID: F155E418-7D9F-578F-985F-251B1AAE6E34

Safari -   Version 5.0.3 (5533.19.4)

Acrobat.com:

Version: 1.6.65

Last Modified: 6/4/09 12:36 PM

Kind: Universal

Get Info String: 1.6.65, 11/16/2008 21:00

Adobe Flash Player -   Version:  10,1,102,64

• 1. Re: Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari
          eidnolb onlyone Community Member

Hi, You list that you have Adobe Flash Player version 10.1.102.64. What is "Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari" in Flash Player?

The Shockwave Flash plugin for your Safari browser should match the version of Flash Player Installed.

If it isn't then that is the problem. You may want to Uninstall Flash Player and Install again using the standalones.

eidnolb

• 2. Re: Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari

1)  I was just looking for a place ("Flash Player" menu choice) to post my

question. When Safari crashes, I get an error message:

..... maybe caused by  Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in ........

I know very little about computers. I'll need further explanation to look

into #2 and #3 below, e.g., Shockwave Flash, standalones, etc.

Thanks,    Gaines

• 3. Re: Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari

Hi, ok, no problem, it just confused me:-) There are several terms involving Flash Player that are confusing anyway.

Before Installing a new version(update) of Flash Player, it is necessary to Uninstall the old/previous version. FP doesn't update by "adding" to the existing version. It is "out with the old" and "in with the new", LOL

That Flash Player plugin error message may refer to the older version of Flash Player 10.1.45.2. Not sure but could be.

Check the version of the Shockwave Flash plugin to be sure what version it is.

You can download and SAVE to your Desktop the Uninstaller:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then you can Install FP directly from here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Now on this Installer site, if you don't want the Google Toolbar, you must UNcheck it. It may be in more than one place as you proceed thru. Also I don't know if you can SAVE the Installer to your Desktop or not. I am not that familiar with Mac. Do so if you can. If not, I would close all browser windows except the one you are using.

You can also choose to use this Adobe site to Install. Take a look at it.  http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/fp_distribution3.html

Let me know if you have any questions after reviewing the above.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb  adding link

• 4. Re: Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari

The Adobe site says I have the proper version of Flash Player - I checked

the one they detect against their listing of the correct version for my

Mac.

The only mention of Shockwave on my computer (besides the webarchive pages I

saved today for reference) is a file:

"NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave"

a Unix Executable File (Power PC), 8 KB, in "Mac hard drive/Library/Internet

plug-ins."

The Flash Player.plugin file is also in that "Internet plug-ins" folder, and

its description matches what the Adobe site detects.

The Adobe site says I have no Shockwave plug-in.

? Apparently I've never had a Shockwave plug-in? Do I need one?

Do I need to uninstall the (apparently correct) Flash Player plug-in, and

then re-install it?

Incidentally, I've not had a browser crash lately. Watched a couple of

Netflix movies with no problems. Moving from site to site on the Internet

hasn't caused a problem. I believe it's only when using the mouse, and *

perhaps* specifically when moving the cursor with Left button pressed, that

the browser crashes. Perhaps it's when the cursor drifts across one of those

ads that launch a little movie, which sometimes happens when I'm using the

scroll-down bar. I'm not absolutely certain of this, but it's a strong

impression I have. I used to get into trouble occasionally with my last

Windows machine by moving the the mouse about too much w/button depressed.

Could this have anything to do with the problem?

Gaines Whitcomb

• 5. Re: Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari

Hi, You have the correct Flash Player then from the test site. When you tested, am I correct in understanding that you received a message there that you need a plugin?

This "NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave" would most likely be the Adobe Director.

I'm not sure of whether using the mouse as you say would cause this or not. I don't think so.

Take a look at this info and then let me know on the above whether you received that message at the test site.

For Mac   Location of plugins
                      Look into the HD/Library/Internet Plug-ins/ directory and see if you have the below two files:
                      Flash Player.plugin
                      flashplayer.xpt

From another thread:
                      Here's what I have in the Library related  to the Flash Player:
                      DirectorShockwave.plugin version  11.5.6r606
                      Flash Player.plugin version 10.0 r45
                      Flashplayer.xpt  version not specified  (this is some kind of Apple Script.)  I can't show you the content, because
                      when I copy/paste it into this message, it cuts of when posting.

Thanks,

eidnolb

• 6. Re: Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari

*On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM, eidnolb *<forums@adobe.com>* wrote:  ***Hi,

You have the correct Flash Player then from the test site. When you tested,

am I correct in understanding that you received a message there that you

need a plugin?***Take a look at this info and then let me know on the above

whether you received that message at the test site.**

>

>

>

The Shockwave test box merely says "plug-in missing."

• This "NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave" *would most likely be the Adobe

Director.* *I'm not sure of whether using the mouse as you say would cause

this or not. I don't think so.**

For my Mac,  HD/Library/Internet Plug-ins/ shows the below two files:

Flash Player.plugin

kind:  plug-in (universal)

version: Adobe Flash Player   10.1 r102

flashplayer.xpt

>

kind: TextEdit Document

..... this is a brief coded text document - combination

of words and symbols indecipherable to me.

>

>

The only mention of Shockwave is the NP-PPC-Dir-Shockwave mentioned above.

I still have not had a recurrence of the browser crash; it's been several

days now. It appears I've been functioning without Shockwave for more than a

year and a half (bought the Mac in May of 2009). Do I need it? Would it

improve video quality when watching Netflix movies online, or sports events

on ESPN3?

This may be beyond your province, but might the missing Shockwave have

anything to do with not being able to play some Windows .wmv files? We get

theses in emails occasionally - some we can play, some we can't. The error

message, in this case, says we may not have the latest RealPlayer updates;

I've gone to that site - we do have the latest.

Thanks,

•   Gaines Whitcomb*

• 7. Re: Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari

Hi, You said: Would it

improve video quality when watching Netflix movies online, or sports events

on ESPN3?

Yes regarding some websites; in fact ESPN requires Shockwave Player in additon to Flash Player for viewing some of their content.

I haven't checked if Netflix requires it or not. You could check their system requirements.

You can read about Shockwave Player here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer/?promoid=DJDXH    

You will see that this is needed for several reasons. You can test with your browser there also. If you see the image, you have Shockwave Player, if not then you don't. I think the link is there to Install it also.

You already have Director and Shockwave Player plays content that has been created by Director.

Most sites use Flash Player only, but others use Shockwave Player.

Hope that helps,

eidnolb

• 8. Re: Flashplayer 10.4-10.5 plug-in crashes Safari

Hi, here is some info on the .wmv files for Mac

http://www.ehow.com/how_2196174_play-wmv-file-mac-computer.html

There may be other links for this, I just did a quick search on Bing.

eidnolb