3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 1:03 PM by mik27lan

Photoshop CS5 Color Management

mik27lan

My question has a complicated back story, but here is where I'm at.  I'm still a newby when it comes to color management.  I'm running Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 3.3, Windows 7 64-bit, Dell Studio XPS desktop, and a new Dell U2311H monitor.  I really struggled several months ago trying to learn color management and Photoshop printing work flow, and may have made an error during that process that created my situation.  When I attach a new monitor (or different monitor), all of my images in Bridge, Photoshop, and Lightroom display with a strong pink/magenta cast.  Images displayed by applications that are not color managed look normal.  Once I calibrate the new/different monitor (with Spyder2Express), and reboot, the color managed images display normally.  If I go to the Control Panel, and assign another profile (such as sRGB IEC61966-2.1) as the default profile for the monitor, all images continue to display normally.  If I go to the Control Panel, and disassociate ALL profiles from the monitor, the images displayed by Bridge, Photoshop and Lightroom again display with a strong pink/magenta cast.

If no profile has been assigned to the monitor on which Photoshop is going to display an image, what does Photoshop do that might result in a pink/magenta image?  Might I have a corrupted profile somewhere, or might I have miscoded something in Color Management that is causing the condition?  If I need to provide some additiional info, please let me know what info is needed.

Thanks for any assistance..

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 Color Management
          thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The display profile is totally independent and divorced from the image (you never assign a display profile to an image). The only role is for previewing the document with its embedded profile for your display using that display profile (eg sRGB to Display profile for preview). Photoshop always assumes some display profile even if you didn’t build one (it uses the OS’s currently loaded display profile for these previews). IOW, a profile is always “assigned to the monitor on which Photoshop is going to display an image”. That profile may be totally incorrect and could produce a magenta cast. You must calibrate and profile the display! See: http://www.takegreatpictures.com/digital-photography/9984 and from there: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 Color Management
            mik27lan Level 1

Andrew, thanks so much for taking the time to respond.  I believe I found

and corrected my problem last night.  When I attempted to do my own printing

from Photoshop last summer, I experimented a lot as I tried to figure out

the work flow.  I discovered last night that I had apparently introduced an

error into the Monitor Color settings under Color Settings.  The RBG Work

Space under Monitor Color was set to "Monitor RBG - xxxxx", where xxxxx was

the profile for the Epson paper I was experimenting with last summer!  I

suspect that Protoshop was using that profile when I didn't provide any

other profile for the display.  I changed that setting to "Monitor RBG -

sRBG", and my problem (the strong magenta casts when displaying images

without profiling the monitor) is gone.

I have been using the Spyder2Express for the past couple of years, and

usually work with a monitor I have previously calibrated with the Spyder.

This magenta problem only showed up when I switched to a new monitor, and

displayed images before running the first calibration.  I wanted to resolve

the magenta problem, however, to determine whether it might be connected to

two other problems I have involving color management.  The first was my

attempt last summer to print on a "hand me down" Epson 2200 printer.  I

finally got the work flow figured out, but was never able to eliminate a

slight magenta cast from some of my prints.  I tried printing from three

computers, using two operating systems, downloaded the 2200 driver and paper

profiles numerous times, printed on two different Epson papers, printed test

prints of the same image on two other printers (without the slight magenta

cast).  I've given up on the 2200 for now!

My latest concern, which really prompted my renewed interest in color

management, is my latest monitor calibration.  I just purchased a Dell

U2311H, and calibrated it with the Spyder2Express.  At the end of the

calibration/profiling process, the Spyder provides a before/after view.

With other monitors, I've always felt that the calibration/profiling process

improved the test image.  With the Dell U2311H, however, it appears to my

eyes that the "before" image looks super, while the "after" image appears to

have a yellowish, or yellowish-green, cast, and the after image is also

"lighter", giving the image a bit of a "washed out" look.

Any suggestions on what I might try next?

Thanks again for your help, Andrew.  By the way, I read the two articles you

sent links for.  I especially enjoyed the article on matching display and

prints.  I'll keep rereading that one until it all soaks in!

Mike

www.mikelandwehr.smugmug.com

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS5 Color Management
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

mik27lan wrote:

My latest concern, which really prompted my renewed interest in color

management, is my latest monitor calibration.  I just purchased a Dell

U2311H, and calibrated it with the Spyder2Express.  At the end of the

calibration/profiling process, the Spyder provides a before/after view.

With other monitors, I've always felt that the calibration/profiling process

improved the test image.  With the Dell U2311H, however, it appears to my

eyes that the "before" image looks super, while the "after" image appears to

have a yellowish, or yellowish-green, cast, and the after image is also

"lighter", giving the image a bit of a "washed out" look.

Could be the target calibration you ask for, but does the after produce a match to the prints?