4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2011 2:24 PM by Harm Millaard

SD card reader for new build?

KrisClean

Could someone please recommend the most effective product to move files from SD cards to a PC, including SDXC cards? I shoot with a Panasonic GH2. Internal or external reader. I googled quite a bit but was unable to find good current info. My case has plenty of room for an internal, and my mobo can do eSATA and USB 3.0. I don't believe a USB 3.0 reader is available yet, btw.

And are there any significant performance differences between the run-of-the-mill internal multiple-card readers, anyway?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: SD card reader for new build?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Use USB2 for transfer. No need to buy a reader for that, let alone a USB3 reader, since the camera does not support it.

• 2. Re: SD card reader for new build?
            KrisClean Level 1

Thanks for the advice. It wasn't clear to me which option would be the most efficient, but I did read that there are significant performance differences between external USB readers. Is there any performance difference transferring files to the PC from the camera via USB 2.0, versus a separate reader?

To amend my original question, I suppose I'm predisposed to buying some sort of reader device for my build, just to have the convenience for any non-GH2 card I might need to access on my PC. It would be cleaner to have an internal reader, but I'm open to whatever type is most speedy and efficient.

After some more googling around just now, it appears Maxell announced a USB 3.0 SDXC reader at CES several days ago:

"As an accessory to the new SDXC Card from Maxell, the SDXC card reader makes it easier and faster to move high volume contents between a memory card and computer. High definition videos, high resolution pictures, or anything else that you have on your SDXC card can now be quickly transferred to your computer and vice-versa. The SDXC card reader has four different ports: SD, Micro SD, Compact Flash and Memory Stick™ and supports most memory cards available today. The device connects to the user's computer via a USB 3.0 cable to ensure high speed data transfer rates. The SDXC card Reader is Bus powered and does not required external power supply.

Specifications:

• Ports: 1 x SD/SDHC/SDXC port,
              1 x Micro SD/SDHC port,
              1 x Compact Flash Card port,
              1 x Memory Stick ™ port
            • Compatibility: Compatible with PC and Mac
            • Includes USB 3.0 cable"

No word on when it'll be available...but if it's less than a month, I suppose I can wait.

• 4. Re: SD card reader for new build?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

All those flash cards, be it SD, SDXC, or whatever it is called, are way slower than the USB2 port offers. None of those flash cards come close to sustained tranfer rates of 25 - 30 MB/s, let alone to the USB3 claimed transfer rates. The flash cards are the limiting factor here, so it is an utter waste of money to invest in a USB3 reader. EOS.