9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2011 10:54 PM by codexplorer

MTS files

Chrisyking Level 1

Hi. I know Premiere can edit AVCHD natively, but how do i get to chose which MTS files to import in premiere? Bridge won't show me thumbnails as it doesn't support MTS files properly (will import them, but won't show thumbnails so what's the use in using it). In Premiere you seem to have to click a file just to see what's in it, so to find the shots I want from 50 or so MTS files do I really have to click each one just to see what it contains?

I am very surprised that Premiere can import MTS files but Bridge won't show them as thumbnails. Premieres lack of thumbnails is a real killer for me and makes me want to go back to FCP. There should be a way of looking at the thumbnails of say 50 files all on one page without clicking them - or am i missing something.

Using CS5 on a macbook pro

• 1. Re: MTS files
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

What graphics card?  I get MTS thumbnails in Bridge using Windows 7 with an nVidia GTX 280.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: MTS files
            Chrisyking Level 1

Using a macbook pro . Maybe this is a Mac problem. Seems like Adobe don't like

macs.....

• 3. Re: MTS files
              Jim_Simon Level 8

A way to make it work might be to bring in all 50, then change the bin from List view to Icon view, maximize it for easier viewing, go through and delete the ones you don't want to keep.

• 4. Re: MTS files
                Chrisyking Level 1

Thanks but that's not practical for me. Would make my projects to messy and would take too long. Adobe are you listening? MTS support in Bridge please?

• 5. Re: MTS files
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Adobe are you listening? MTS support in Bridge please?

They are, here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 6. Re: MTS files
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jeff Bellune wrote:

What graphics card?  I get MTS thumbnails in Bridge using Windows 7 with an nVidia GTX 280.

-Jeff

Yes i have thumbnail but can you preview, play the file? I cannot.

• 7. Re: MTS files
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

would take too long.

It'll be a whole lot faster than waiting for Adobe to do anything.

• 8. Re: MTS files
                        Crowspost

My guess is you do have thumbnails for files sub 1 gig in size, but more than likely, you cannot play the video in bridge - and any attempts at playing it (space bar) results in said .mts file being treated like a still image file...

edit - for files greater than 1 Gig, you will NOT get a thumbnail... (just so we're clear).

Bridge via CS5

• 9. Re: MTS files
                          codexplorer Level 1

I found a sort of workaround:

- I first convert .mts into .mov using ClipWrap ($49) which I was using with FCE (I did not want to transcode in AIC).

- then I rename the files as .mpg

This has two advantages (and one disadvantage):

- the .mpg files can be played in Bridge (although with some jerkiness)

- they are considered as the native .mts files by Premiere. In other words they are played back without any jerkiness (and effects can be applied without rendering). Don't ask me why the same files called .mov are NOT played smoothly in Premiere (it seems to be due to the fact that Premiere uses QT when it encounters a .mov file).

The problem is that the .mpg files cannot be played by QT (or previewed in the Finder).

My 2 cts.