6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 2:58 AM by nealeh

Premiere Elements 9 PC: Major Importer Failure

A.T. Romano Level 7

I think that I have gone down every troubleshooting road on trying to discover why "all of a sudden" Premiere Elements 9 PC will not import anything via Get Media/Files and Folders into its Organize interface as is its default behavior. The program fails at that point and shows the message "the program is not responding". Yet if you force the closure of that particular project and reopen a new one, you find that those media that failed to import into Organize in the first project now are live and well in the Organize of the new project. You can drag them from the Organize to the Timeline and use them in this new project. All other functions of Premiere Elements 9 PC appear unaffected by this import failure. AND, source media can be video (any format and size) and photos (any size). This happens even with import of the first and only file being a jpg (800 x 600 pixels).

My history of Premiere Elements 9 PC/baddrivers.txt file/ and "incompatible driver messages" is well documented in these forums. That involved Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit and a NVIDIA display card. And, I have been moving along successfully with Premiere Elements 9 PC for several months. About two weeks ago, I upgraded my computer to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Intel Graphics Card, and Premiere Elements has been performing great until yesterday when what I call "major importer failure" struck. The computer has about 800 GB free hard drive space and about 2.5 GB out of 4.0 GB of available RAM. All of this worked great for about two weeks and now suddenly this yesterday. Did I do anything different or unusual? I think not. I also have Premiere Elements 7 and 8 on this same new computer, and they continue to function perfectly in all respects, whereas Premiere Elements 9 does not. AND, yes I have had the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 Update installed and in use before and after the importer failure.

Troubleshooting has included

a. Uninstall/Reinstall from Premiere Elements 9 installation disc + uninstall/reinstall of QuickTime + Photoshop Elements 9 as well.

b. System Restore (as well as a restore of an earlier version of the installed Premiere Elements 9.

c. Removal of possible interferring program, such as, Nero InCD.

d. Removal of recent Windows Updates

e. Uninstall/reinstall of Intel driver since at one point in the failure the Edit Mode Monitor was displaying part of the Disc Menu Section while the program was in the Organize Mode.

f. Have looked at permissions, running as Administrator, etc.

One of the things that I will try this morning is installing Premiere Elements 9 PC on the previous system Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit to see if there is any major importer failure there at this time.

If anyone has the time, I would appreciate any comments on a troubleshooting avenue that I may have overlooked. This appears to be another Deja Vu all over again. I hope not.

Thanks.

ATR

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 PC: Major Importer Failure
          nealeh Level 5

Tony,

What happens if you start PSE9 and try to import your video from there. I know that Organizer is now a self contained program, but it's still worth trying.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 PC: Major Importer Failure
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

Thank you for your interest in this issue.

I still have not pin pointed why my Premiere Elements 9 works great EXCEPT it will not import media into the Organize with Get Media/Files and Folders and attempts to do that drive the program into unresponsiveness and extreme difficult closure, even with the Task Manager.

Yes, I have already looked at the workaround that you suggested for moving forward in my Premiere Elements 9 PC project, that is, entering all my source media into the Elements Organizer (can do from Photoshop Elements side) so that the source media thumbnail will be in the Premiere Elements Organize "ahead of time", and I will not have to depend upon Get Media/Files and Folders to get that job done.

But, until I hit the key to this, I think I have an almost perfect better way. My computer is now Windows 7 Professional 64 bit that comes with the Windows XP Mode. Essentially what you have in this mode is a virtual Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit machine (best I can determine, Microsoft Generic Card). I can install Premiere Elements 9 (same serial number as on the Windows 7), and IT WORKS, no problem with the Get Media/Files and Folders. The one glitch in this perfect solution is setting up to burn to DVD. The Windows 7 Windows XP Mode Virtual Machine will not recognize installed internal DVD/CD drives when you go to write a DVD. The explanation is that the optical drive in XP Mode is a virtual device - read only. I have confirmed this. In order to use Premiere Elements 9 PC burn to disc in this Windows XP Mode , my answer here appears to be plugging in an external DVD burner USB and then using the USB Attach of the Windows XP Mode.

When Premiere Elements 9 PC was released, I was forced into much troubleshooting of the display issues which are very widely documented here. But then I was using "a real" Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit" with a NVIDIA card. In the trial version, the BadDrivers.txt and VideoRenderer.dll got me through that episode. For me, the purchased version "essentially" was not afflicted with these same problems, and it has been running great. Now when I go to a new computer system for better performance/greater computer resources (by the way, Intel HD Graphics card), Premiere Elements 9 runs great for two weeks and then this no Get Media/Files and Folders matter sets in accompanied by program going completely knocked out by the event. In all of this, old or new, I have Premiere Elements 7, 8, and 9 installed on the same computer. While Premiere Elements 9 is being hit with these issues, Premiere Elements 7 and 8 are not , same computer environment, same source media, same project preset, et al. For me, the Premiere Elements 9.0.1 has not hit the mark.

I have done extensive troubleshooting of the this current matter, too long and involved to go into now. I am preparing a full detailed description of the issue and the troubleshooting that went into the search for a fix. I will be posting it at the forum that I frequent. When I post it there, I will supply a link to it for whomever is interested. I have filed a bug report with Adobe on this matter in abridged format as per the space provided in its bug report online form.

Thanks again for posting.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 PC: Major Importer Failure
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale and whomever else had any interest in this problem, I FOUND THE KEY!!!! And, it came in a desperation move when I decided that I was not going to leave any "stone unturned".

Rehap...after two weeks of Premiere Elements 9 PC working great in the new Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, suddenly I could not import media into the program with Get Media/Files and Folders. When I went through the typical import motions, nothing appeared in the Organize interface and, if I tried to import another file (video or still) or tried to close the program, it went into complete non responsiveness. And, when I reopened Premiere Elements new project, there was the evidence that the media that did not enter the Premiere Elements Organize interface had made it into the Elements Organizer. More often part of the failure syndrome was difficult program closure with the Disc Menu Section displayed in the Organize interface....shades of a display card incompatibility problem, I feared.

Now to get to answer...believe it or not, creating a new catalog in the Elements Organizer.

Here are the motions that I went through....

With the program still not working for import as described...

a. Used the Premiere Elements 9 opening via Adobe Premiere Elements.exe shortcut icon on Desktop to bypass the Welcome Screen.

b. Instead of going File Menu/New Project in the gray interface, I launched the Elements Organizer from its tab in that location.

c. In the Elements Organizer, I did not delete the original catalog, I just created a new one that I made the active catalog.

d. When I went back to the Premiere Elements workspace, all was resolved...Get Media/Files and Folders working as advertised.

That was probably the worst and most difficult troubleshooting since I have been troubleshooting Premiere Elements 2.0, 4.0, 7.0, and 8.0/8.0.1 for several years. You would not believe all the avenues that I went down on this one...from activation, display card uninstall reinstall for what I knew was the latest version, complete and clean uninstall reinstalls of Premiere Elements 9 and QuickTime and a few other programs, and things too numerous to mention.

I always tell the people that I help troubleshoot Premiere Elements never to give up when troubleshooting the product. Based on this experience, "stick-to-tive-ness" really does works and rewards.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 PC: Major Importer Failure
                nealeh Level 5

One for Tips & Tricks I think!

Glad you found a workaround. So far Get Media is still working for me, but if it stops I'll know what to try first.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 PC: Major Importer Failure
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

I have searched online and have not seen any other reports on the issue that I presented. So, I am wondering how rare this one is. Hope no one else encounters this, but, if he/she does, I hope that he/she will post letting us know if this worked for him/her as it did for me with the profile of the problem given.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 PC: Major Importer Failure
                    nealeh Level 5

Creating a new catalog was also suggested by Adobe to resolve a different user problem (backing up their Organizer). Perhaps this will become the Elements equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Del .

Re: Why am I getting "CA Headless has encountered an error" suddenly?

Re: Error message

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale