11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 10:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Where can I find free video effects?

Can'tFindAScreenName2

Hi,

I just bought Premiere 9, and am pretty disappointed with the lack of templates and themes.  I want to add some video effects, but all I find are websites that want me to pay $50+. Anyone know where I can get free effects? I want to make a hand look like its on fire.

• 1. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
          Paul787 Level 3

For motion loops, there aren't a lot of free ones around. You can check at www.muvipix.com, which has some and others which you can purchase.

And www.motionloops.com has a wide selection of motion loops. None are free but you can often buy individual clips for $11.95 instead of a big expensive bundle.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, did you install the full additional Functional Content?

There are about 90 Effects and Transitions, plus Title Templates and Menu Sets included.

While one might want some specific others, the normal content is fairly inclusive.

What Effect(s) are you specifically looking for?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
              Can'tFindAScreenName2 Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Yes, I have the content. Frankly, I'm a pretty basic user. I'm sure if I put the time into learning the details I could create the effect I want. But, I'm just doing a slide show for friends and wanted something quick and easy.  I don't think the aestethic quality or style of the templates and titles is very good, so that's just a personal preference I suppose.

I have a video of my friend pretending she's lighting a trash can (full of old memories) on fire. I thought it would be cool to "paste" a burning fire ball over the trash can to make it appear on fire, in a kitschy way. Any suggestions?

• 4. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I actually cover step-by-step how to create an explosive or fire overlay in my book "Cool Tricks & Hot Tips for Adobe Premiere Elements"!

http://Muvipix.com/CoolTricks

I can't describe it as well here, but basically you get a video clip of fire with a black background (like those available at DetonationFilms.com), place it on a video track above your main clip and you apply Videomerge or Chromakey to it.

• 5. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve, that this is fairly easily done with compositing and Keying. The biggest trick is to find the right footage of the fireball/explosion, and then to Key it.

The closest that I can recall with "fire," is an older Alien Skin Effect - Fire, that was available as a Preset w/ images for use in Adobe AfterEffects. That was some time ago, so I do not know if Alien Skin still does this (they are known for their Filter plug-ins for Photoshop).

For the step-by-step, I do recommend Steve's great books, Tips & Tricks. Still, one needs to do some research to find just the right stock footage to use. Now, Muvipix has many stock video files, that are free to subscribers, and can be bought on a one-by-one basis, for non-subscribers. I do not remember if there is a fireball/explosion stock clip though.

Great idea - "burning up the memories!" I did similar in my short film, Lemmings about 40 years ago, but since that was film, had to shoot the fire! Nowadays, things would have been easier.

Good luck, and thanks for explaining what you are looking to do.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
                    jls9

Hello,

Here is a really dumb question....

Regarding you post, you mention installing the additional content from the disk.

I get the popup asking if I want to install the additional content, if so, insert the disk. I do, and nothing happens.

If I try to install it manually, it begins setup of the software again.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

~Jeff

• 7. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have purchased the media, you have four DVD's. Two are for the PC, and two are for the Mac. With the PC version, you want to insert the second DVD, which has the Functional Content. It sounds like you are inserting the program disc, instead.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
                        jls9 Level 1

I do have the original media, and I was quite surprised at the lack of content originally installed....

you may be right about the disks... I'll chk when I get home.... should it just begin automatically after inserting the disk?

Thanks..

~Jeff

• 9. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Depending on the AutoRun settings of your multi-drive, that second disc should launch and offer to install the Functional Content.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
                            jls9 Level 1

Worked like a charm.

As always, Thanks....

~Jeff

• 11. Re: Where can I find free video effects?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Great news!

Though I do not have the most recent version of PrE on media, I wonder if Adobe could perhaps make things a bit more clear. This question comes up often enough, that I wonder. The same thing happens with the download versions, when people do not realize that there is a second file, that must be installed, after the program has been installed. Maybe a more prominent set of complete instructions?

Thanks for reporting your success.

Good luck,

Hunt