4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 6:53 PM by Ned Murphy

What's the difference?

devine_r

I am taking an online course right now that requires Flash CS5.   I am very  new to Flash.  I bought the Creative Master Suite Collection and have Flash Catalyst CS5 and Flash Professional CS5.  What's the difference between all of these?  I asked my teacher which would be better to use... catalyst or professional (need to know what one if most like Flash CS5) and he doesn't know!!  Anyone have a suggestion of which one I should be using for this course?

• 1. Re: What's the difference?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If the teacher can't answer which is required, how can anyone else?  Chances are Flash Professional CS5 is what your want to use.  I believe anything else is nerely a derivative work.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What's the difference?
            devine_r Level 1

Thanks!  I guess he just doesn't know because he has only used Flash CS5 and never the professional or catalyst!  I didn't know there were so many different types!

• 3. Re: What's the difference?
              Lee Burrows Level 4

hi

flash catalyst the designers equivalent of flash builder (which you should also have as part of master collection) so its ideally used for building RIAs rather than animations or simple websites.

If you are new to flash, i suggest you start with flash pro and move on to catalyst and flash builder when you no longer consider yourself a beginner

• 4. Re: What's the difference?
                Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Flash Professional would be the primary version of Flash.  I think they tagged the Professional onto it some years ago as if there was a non-professional version.... I don't think there ever was, but I never really paid attention to the naming anyways.

1 person found this helpful