1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 4:04 PM by robdillon

How to lip sync and see the sound wave better?

Alright, so first of all I will thank you for clicking this post!

There's 2 questions/problems, so if you got the solution on both/one of them, PLEASE post!

So I'm working on an animation where some guys sings and in order to make that look good, i need some good lip syncing.

Since this is not short clips, but a whole song on 2-3 minutes, it's very hard for me to make the lip sync perfect because I have to replay from the beginning in order to hear the music.

So question one is: Are there a way that I can play the movie in the middle and still hear the music?

And so the second question is that I can barely see the sound waves in the Music layer, even though there's lots of music.

Here's a picture of how big the sound waves are:

And that's in the middle of the song!

The problem is not that the music is too low, because it's quite high.

So question number two is: Are there a way that I can make the soundwaves bigger in the music layer without affecting the music itself?

Feel free to post even if you don't have the answer, so it will stay at the top till someone knows how to fix this!

Thanks from Mistah NovaNova

• 1. Re: How to lip sync and see the sound wave better?
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

There are several ways to make the sound file, or any layer, more prominent in the timeline. In the upper right corner of the timeline window is a contextual menu. In that menu select Large. This will make all of the layers use a larger area in the timeline window. Set the frame rate to higher rate, say 100 or 150 fps. This will stretch the audio, and all of the other content over a larger space in the timeline.

Both of the above will make the audio track easier to see. Add a layer to the timeline and place key frames at points where you need. These will aid you in managing the audio.

I usually cut up the audio file into smaller chunks and place these end to end in the timeline, usually in different layers. The net effect on playback is that the sound plays as expected. On the timeline, I get a short chunk of content to work with. You cannot expect to maintain sync over any extended period of time in Flash, or any application like it. Keep the extent of any given synched section short and run them end to end. The audio and the visual portions of Flash are compiled separately and will be played back separately.

1 person found this helpful