5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 5:50 AM by robdillon

Trying to diagnose inconistent Flash display on other PCs

HealthcareHelper Level 1

I'm using a Flash-based mp3 player on a site I'm working on. When it's working right, it shows up as a rectangle with:  1-A bar across the top showing what song is currently playing, 2-A box on the middle left that shows the album cover associated with the song, 3-A box on the right showing a list of songs that can be clicked to start the playback, and 4-A small rectangle below the album cover with text like "Info" that takes the user to a place to buy the music when clicked.

The problem is that depending on what operating system, what version of that operating system, which browser (and which browser version), either the album cover or the info box may sometimes be missing. I'm not a Flash guru, but it seems to me that the Flash plugin on a user's browser would either show all or nothing if the swf is defective. If Flash operates within it's own "space" as a process, the contents of the Flash object should be independent of browser and operating system variations.

The player (xspf_player from musicplayer.sourceforge.net) is open source and I have the fla file. I suppose I could open it in Flash CS5 and fix the problem, if I knew what I was looking for. Here's a link to the page where I've spent the most time tweaking to make this work...

http://www.keithpurtell.com/kthings/fripp.htm

• 1. Re: Trying to diagnose inconistent Flash display on other PCs
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

The problem may be the version of the Flash plugin that each browser is using versus the version of the plugin that the file wants to use. Is the issue always the same in each particular computer/browser that you are testing on? If it is always the same, then I would suspect the plugin version. If the problem is inconsistent or seemingly arbitrary, then the problem may be with the way that the images and/or other parts are downloading.

That's a very nice sampling of Fripp's work!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trying to diagnose inconistent Flash display on other PCs
            HealthcareHelper Level 1

The latest release of this player (which I'm now using) was April 2006. Do I need guess at what version of the Flash plugin was current then, or is that indicated somewhere in the fla file?   Also, it sounds like I should make sure my code allows people with older versions of Flash to view the file. If that's the case, one thing I need to do perhaps is tweak the SWFObject code used to embed the Flash mp3 player, because it is currently set to detect whether users have version 9 of Flash. I'm wondering if I should scale that back and retest (although you would think that newer versions of the Flash plugin we be less buggy and function in a more stable way). By the way, to answer your question about the behavior, yes it is consistent in the browser tests, suggesting a plugin version problem.

Here's a link to the info on the embed code I'm using...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/swfobject.html

• 3. Re: Trying to diagnose inconistent Flash display on other PCs

What version of Flash are you using to create this mp3 player? The only purpose for using swfobject is to simplify the playback experience for the end user and it should be transparent to them.

One thing that you can do is to publish your Flash movie in Flash, not use swfobject and see if there is any difference in these problematic computer/browser combinations.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Trying to diagnose inconistent Flash display on other PCs
                HealthcareHelper Level 1

Another developer created the the mp3 player and put it on the Web as open source. I have Flash CS5, but I'm not up to speed on it. If there is a way to open the fla file for this player (included in the open-source package), and have Flash CS5 check it for errors, that would be great. I'm also interested in the publish function you mentioned. Just point me in the direction of a tutorial somewhere and I'll figure it out from there. Thanks!

• 5. Re: Trying to diagnose inconistent Flash display on other PCs

Yes, you should be able to open the .fla file in your copy of Flash. When you open the .fla, go to the Publish Preferences in the File menu. Then select the Flash tab. The first item in that tab, Player, will show you the player/plugin version that the file was originally written for.

If your users are not using, at least, that version, then they may have difficulty.

Before you make any changes to the original file, make a backup copy. Always work on a copy of the original.

If the Player version is lower than 10, you might change the version to 10, then go to the HTML tab and check the "Detect Flash Version" option. Then publish using these changes and see how the file plays.