12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 5:44 PM by Photoquest8458

will premiere elements be going to 64 bit

Photoquest8458

will premiere elements be going to 64 bit

• 1. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is a USER TO USER forum, so nobody here knows Adobe's plans

Anyone who is a Beta tester has signed a "don't talk" agreement, and may not comment

Any employee who posts here may also not comment on Adobe's plans... until the CEO is ready to make an announcement

So... nobody who posts here knows, or is allowed to comment if they do know anything

My personal GUESS is that since Premiere Elements is oriented to the person who is going to use a standard 32bit operating system, not a heavy duty 64bit editing computer... that PreElements will stay 32bit until ALL computers are 64bit

• 2. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not heard any rumors on this, but it could always be in the works. As PrE 10 is still about 8 - 9 mos. out, the wait might be rather long.

A couple of things to consider:

PrPro went full 64-bit with CS5, and there is no 32-bit version available, so a CS5 user MUST have 64-bit. I doubt that Adobe will offer two versions (64-bit & 32-bit) for a US$100 +/- program, so if they do go 64-bit, all 32-bit users will be out in the cold.

All CODEC's must be 64-bit, so that all will need to be replaced.

All Effects must be 64-bit, so some will have to be rewritten, or discarded. CS5 lost quite a few.

PrPro CS5 offers lots of enhancements, that take advantage of 64-bit OS.

Just some thoughts, but only Adobe knows for sure. Anyone in their program will have signed an NDA, so cannot speak of what might/might not be under development.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
              Photoquest8458 Level 1

I dont think that 64 bit is so far out of the range of the average consumer.  The way things are going (and as microsoft see it), everyone should buy 64 bit OS on a new system. (esp since they claim windows 7 can run almost all 32 bit programs.)  So the only reason there are 32 bit sytems is for upgrades , and until the parts run out.

From the math it seems you get some serious improvement in performance.

Just a thought

• 4. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The ability for an OS to run a 32-bit program, though it is 64-bit does not cover the issues with having to replace everything, that the program relies upon, if it is 32-bit, like the CODEC's that I mention above. If the program is 64-bit only, then the elements that it must use, have to also be 64-bit. It goes far beyond being able to run on the OS.

PrE also relies heavily on Apple's QT Player, which is still only 32-bit. That will have to change somewhere, before PrE can go full 64-bit. Watch for that, and it might give you some kind of idea. PrPro only relies on QT Player, and its CODEC's, if one is doing MOV files.

I am sure that Adobe is monitoring the user-base of PrE, to find out what OS the majority is on. When they feel that critical mass has been met, they WILL go to 64-bit PrE.

When Adobe went to the SSE-2 instruction set, the performance of their programs was greatly improved. Unfortunately, many users were on older AMD CPU's, and were cut out, as they did not have that instruction set. You should have heard the screams. Some still echo today.

Going with a 64-bit, or soon 128-bit program will happen. It just depends on the timing. Work is on-going on 256-bit OS's right now, but they are still down the pipeline.

Hunt

• 5. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                  Photoquest8458 Level 1

Bill,

That makes a lot of sense.  Especially the apple stuff.

Thanks

• 6. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, two things could easily happen: Apple will go full 64-bit, and all will be OK, or Adobe will go more along the lines of PrPro, that does not rely so heavily on QT Player, beyond MOV files.

Again, just something that we mere users will have to wait for.

Because of the target audience of PrE, I think that full 64-bit only will be a bit of a mistake, right now. Just looking at this forum, there are quite a few users, who still have Pentium D CPU's, and are trying to find older versions of PrE to edit on those aged computers. Until the majority are ready to invest in a new i7, with 12GB of RAM and Win7-64, I think there will be a major backlash.

I am not diminishing the power of having a 64-bit program on a 64-bit OS, just thinking about "how that will play in Cleveland... "

As you state, a 32-bit app. will usually work well on a 64-bit OS, but just cannot take full advantage of the power and RAM in the OS. I think that adaptability will keep PrE in 32-bit a little longer - but I have been very wrong before, so stand ready to be corrected.

Hunt

• 7. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                      Photoquest8458 Level 1

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2354987,00.asp

I just saw this article.  cyberlink, a competetor, how has a 64 bit commercial version.  if you read the specs, it also uses the video GPU.

I am not sure how good the tools are, but the rendering is roughly 10  times faster, from reviews i am reading.

Also, i looked at the latest dell website. you cannot buy a non 64 bit machine in the consumer area.

Hopefully adobe will make the 32 bit version and 64 bit version of the next adobe premier

• 8. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I noticed that it was "optimized for the i7 and mentioned a 64-bit OS," but could not find any statement that it was a 64-bit app. Maybe I just missed that.

Optimization, like certification, is different than writing a 64-bit program.

Did I just not see the description of PowerDirector?

Thanks for the link,

Hunt

• 9. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>32 bit version and 64 bit version

Again... I don't work for Adobe... but I personally see ZERO chance of that happening

Rewriting the code to 64bit is not a small project, and I do not see Adobe having 2 versions of a $100 program

• 10. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree. They did not even do that for an $800 program - one could do the CS5 64-bit, or with the suites, use the CS4 32-bit program. No 32-bit for CS5.

Maybe they feel differently, and will offer one of each, but I doubt that it would be in the same purchase.

Just thinking here,

Hunt

• 11. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                              Photoquest8458 Level 1

Bill,

thanks for your input on this.  I did find a nice review of the 64 bit aspects of cyberlink  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372982,00.asp

I think this company is (cyberlink)  is orders of magnitude smaller than adobe . so if they can do it..............

• 12. Re: will premiere elements be going to 64 bit
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

It's not so much a matter of "can do it," but a matter of "will our projected base buy it?"

PrPro CS5 went full 64-bit, plus added the MPE (Mercury Playback Engine), and things went well. Now, some of the PrPro install-base did complain, as CS5 was 64-bit only. Still, Adobe saw the numbers and went that way. I am sure that they are weighing the numbers with PrE, as well, and when they feel that the time is right, will go 64-bit. Who knows, when they do, there might be some MPE and CUDA trickle down to PrE.

Now, PS, PrPro and AE are full 64-bit. Cannot recall if AI has gone there too, but probably. In the case of the suites, the only option with PrPro, if one is NOT on 64-bit, is to install CS4. PS is an either/or. AE offers either the 64-bit, or a step-down with a 32-bit version. Only Encore (in the main suites) is 32-bit, due to the Sonic AuthorCore modules, which are still 32-bit, but it has been optimized for 64-bit.

Adobe is doing everything BUT turning its back on 64-bit code. With the consumer PrE, their timing will be based on how the numbers come in. They are seldom first, but with most versions (let's leave PrE8 out of this - Adobe's "Vista?"), usually do it pretty well.

Time will tell,

Hunt