7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 7:04 PM by the_wine_snob

PE9 Crawl Right does not work.

THX1142a Level 1

I'm putting titles in a video and I created three layers. One has a background, one has a phrase crawling in to the left and one has a phrase crawling in to the right. The one crawling in to the left works exactly like the instructions tell me it should. However, the one crawling to the right doesn't. If I enter a postroll number of, say 200, it should roll in quickly enough to remain for 200 frames, like crawl left does. However, a number of 0 or 30 will cause the text to crawl in at the last minute to just complete its crawl at the end of the clip. And if I use something like 200 or more, it never shows up at all.

Two other "bugs" in crawl:

1. If I change the crawl attributes and click ok, then open them again, it did not save my last changes. I have to do it again. This happens every time.

2. For my third layer, the text does not stop where I set it up to stop. It moves on to "center" itself, horizontal, on the page. I can move the text where it is almost completely off the page and it still comes in and centers itself horizontally.

Are these bugs, or am I missing some obscure setting somewhere?

• 1. Re: PE9 Crawl Right does not work.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Crawl/Roll Presets will only work with one line of text. Do you have any with multiple lines? If so, then just do one Title per line, and apply the same Preset.

As for the Presets, I really cannot help, as I do all animations with Effect>Motion>Position Keyframes, so have complete control over everything, including multi-line Titles. Others can help with the Presets, and how they should function.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE9 Crawl Right does not work.SADFDSASDDFSA
            THX1142a Level 1

This is one of the capabilities I actually purchased the product for.I am doing one line per title. I have three titles, one with the static background, and two more, with one line of text each, that I created as "default still" and then added crawl attributes. The Left crawl works perfectly and exactly as advertised. The Right crawl will simply not work as advertised. And it is only with right crawl that the software has difficulty making my changes stick.

Oh, and it crashed 5 times while I was trying to use it. It kept autosaving, but I could not find what it had autosaved. The first crash happened after about an hour and a half and I had to redo everything. I racked it up to learning, but eventually I'm gonna have to catch a fish or cut bait on this thing.

Meanwhile, I'll look into your method of getting this to work. I bought this product last December and put about 50 hours into it with no practical results. I got back from vacation, surgery, etc. and decided today to just tackle the darned thing and get it to work. I've been at it for 6 hours today and have yet to complete 20 seconds of titles the way the instructions (and tons of help sites and various other helps on the internet and in adobe help - and a lot of trial and error) have guided me. That's right. I have not even gotten to the point where I have added content.

BTW, you mentioned "Effect>Motion>Position>Keyframes". I can view that by right clicking a title, but I see very little useful motion there. Certainly nothing like sliding in, etc.

• 3. Re: PE9 Crawl Right does not work.
              THX1142a Level 1

>>If so, then just do one Title per line, and apply the same Preset.<<

Do you mean by that statement that if I have two lines on separate titles, they both have to crawl in the same direction?

• 4. Re: PE9 Crawl Right does not work.SADFDSASDDFSA
                THX1142a Level 1

I'm goofing around with the stuff you mentioned here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/696455 with some interesting results. I am guessing that in the pile of "virtual" documentation that comes with this there is some sort of instructions on it. I'm finding that almost everything I am learning is via trial and error or this forum. And it is not for a lack of trying to use the "help". It has helped me, but only for a couple of very basic things.

• 5. Re: PE9 Crawl Right does not work.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that I was not clear on this. The Motion does not have be the same, but to use the Presets, the Titles do have to be limited to one line of Text. It sounds like you are ahead of that "curve," as you have already broken the Title into two, each of one line ONLY. You should be able to individually animate each Title (of one line each), in almost anyway that you want with Keyframes, or even use the Title Animation Presets.

With the Keyframe Animation, of say a Title that will appear as "Meanwhile back at the ranch," where the word "Meanwhile" is on one Title and "back at the ranch is on another," you would Select the first Title ("Meanwhile"), then in the Effects Panel, click on Edit Effects. This brings up the Effects Control Panel, and with the Title/Clip "Meanwhile" Selected, you would go to Motion, and twirl that open, revealing Position. At the first Frame of that Title, you would move to be just off-screen (the starting position) with ONLY the horizontal Position - do not change the vertical Position, then move to where you want the Title to fully visible in the Frame, and add another Keyframe for that Position. Let's say that this is desired at the 05 sec. point. Now, as that is played, the "Meanwhile" will slide in and then hold for the rest of the Duration of that Title. Those Keyframes will provide linear velocity, so the Title will move to that Position with no change in Velocity. Many like to adjust the Velocity, as well, and PrE offers several ways to adjust this - Ease Out and Ease In are probably the most common adjustments to Velocity, but one has Bezier, where they can really tweak the Velocity.

Now, we have that Title "Meanwhile" holding, after it has moved in from one side, or the other. The "back to the ranch" Title can be Keyframed to come from the other side of the Frame, and to hold in the same spot, by repeating the above steps, but starting the first Frame's Position to the other side of the Frame and also off-screen.

Additionally, one can choose a point after the Title has been held, and can animate it leaving the screen in the same direction, or back to from where it started. The choice is yours. The length of time, that it is held is up to the editor, but I would suggest long enough for the audience to read the Title at least 1.5 times.

Along with animating the Position into, and/or out of the Frame, one could animate the fixed Effect>Motion>Scale to have the Title shrink, or grow, and these could be incorporated into the Position, just by adjusting the position of Scale Keyframes over the same time frame, as the Position Keyframes. One could also have the Title Rotate, or they could add an Effect, like Blur. I will often animate several of the fixed Effects, and also add other Effects and animate them over the same time.

As you can see, the animation with Keyframes and either the fixed Effects, or added Effects has almost unlimited potential and offer far greater power, than a simple Preset can do.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PE9 Crawl Right does not work.
                    THX1142a Level 1

Thanks for the help, Bill. I'm gonna give it a try. For the record, though, I'm still a bit puzzled why left crawl works and right crawl doesn't.

• 7. Re: PE9 Crawl Right does not work.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

That is something that I cannot address. Actually, PrPro only has the Crawl Left, and Roll Up, and to go otherwise, one must either invert the Clip's direction with Time Remapping, or do the Keyframes for Motion>Position.

Good luck,

Hunt