I’m running several Adobe programs on Windows 7 - 64 bit machine supplied directly by Dell - including Elements, Lightroom, Reader and AIR.
I’ve not experienced any problems.
I suggest you contact your supplier and determine how they have set up User Accounts and Permissions.
Your problems are more likely to be hardware related rather than software related.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that is not the case.
All user accounts I have created have Administrative rights. The user accounts created by Adobe support have administrative rights. Support have admitted it is a Windows 7 vs. installer problem (Home Premium 64-bit). The basic issue is that the UAC "thinks" the Adobe installer is incompatible. The problem is unique to Adobe. The other dozen vendors and 40+ products I have all installed fine and works fine.
I have a Windows 7 64 bit machine and I do not have the problems that you describe. In the past I have had problems that involved the User Account Control. My solution was to disable the UAC until I finished what I was trying to do. All was ok after turning off UAC. Maybe this will help you. Worth a try.
To add to what has been written, installing programs as an administrator
usually results in less problems. It doesn't matter whether the account has
adminstrative permissions, you still should right click on the installer and Run as Administrator.
From what you say, the problem must be something particular to your computer.
Is widows 7 updated with the latest updates?
Message was edited by: MTSTUNER
Thank you for your help all three of you,
I finally succeeded to install.
I was using the downloaded version (not the DVD), I should have mentioned that. I did two things. I turned off the UAC (as suggested) and I moved the installation files from my user account folder where they were placed by default (I initially just accepted the default). The user account was protected despite my administrative rights, which is why install using setup.exe in the user account location failed. I have a feeling that I would not have had to turn off the UAC or move the files out of the user account folder if I had run as administrator. I'll remember that next time. It is funny customer support did not see this.
Anyway, now it is installed