so Ned, i had it working. it was great. the only problem was that the xml file was named "popup" but my boss wanted it to be named something else so i named it "products", then i changed the actionscript where i parsed it. and it wont work now. both of the text boxes returned "null"
no matter what i do it won't work. i have tried changing it back but it doesnt matter.
is there a way to view the link to make sure i have it linked correctly? the xml file and the fla file are still both together in the same file. i dont know why renaming it would all of a sudden make it screwed up. but it wont work no matter what i try
Changing the name of a file cannot cause the code to fail, as long as you change the name every place it needs to be changed. You'll just have to spend some time finding what you missed.
aha! got it. i must have accidentally deleted something (not really sure how i did though, i don't remember messing with this part) but, firstChild.nodeValue SHOULD have been firstChild.firstChild.nodeValue. i would have kept trying to figure out what was wrong with the way i parsed it.
here are some points for putting up with me. hopefully once i get this stuff figured out i can go back to the illustrator forums and leave you alone haha.