16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2011 4:42 AM by nealeh

Just bought Premiere 9..Confused

2strokeman

OK, so I have a bunch of HD clips I wanted to put together into a little movie. I get all of the clips in there and start to add transitions and all is good but after the 6-7th transition the video starts to act like its playing catch up, its all jumpy and really laggy, why is this, also I cant figure out how to make a title, everytime I click on title it asks me to upgrade to plus and pay another $50.00, I dont want to do that I just paid $100.00 for the dang software today.

All in all its not very easy to use and I would like some little tips on some secrets. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks, Scott

• 1. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, a great place to start is my books! They're full of "secrets"!

As for your lag issues -- what kind of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer? When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you choose?

Is there a red line above your clips on the timeline? If you are seeing a red line above your clips as soon as you add them to your timeline, you have not matched your project settings to your source video. Ideally, you should see no lines at all above your clips until you add effects or transitions to them.

But, once you do add effects, you should render the timeline (press Enter) every time you see red lines above your clips. (The red lines will turn green.) Once rendered, your timeline should run smoothly and you should have no lag issues.

Assuming, of course, your system is up to snuff for video editing.

BTW, have you checked out my free Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com? They should help you with the basics.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

Along with Steve's questions, and suggestions, you might want to furnish some more info. This ARTICLE will give you tips on what would be useful, and also how to gather some of it.

The system (full details), the HD source files (full details) and the Project Preset will be very useful to help us help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There is an "offer" to upgrade the Adobe.com membership to the "Plus" version, that gets more storage space on the server, and access to some additional Themes, Menu Sets, etc., but I believe that there is a way to turn that "offer" OFF, so that one does not see it again - maybe a checkbox with something like "Don't show this again?" Many feel that the Plus membership has not been worth the effort and price, as Adobe has not really offered THAT much additional content. Also, that Plus membership seems to be only for the US, and not the rest of the world.

Maybe others can tell you exactly how to get rid of that offer for good. I am with you - show me an offer once, and let be permanently opt out, and never see the offer again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                2strokeman Level 1

Perfect, When I get home from work looks like I got some stuff to go over, as for the red line above the clips, no its not there on the whole thing but when I do add an effect or transition it is there, but I cant get it to turn green, I will play with it when I get home, thanks for the information guys!

Scott

• 5. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Scott,

The absence of the red line indicates that your Project Preset does match your source footage. The red line indicates that for the ultimate smoothness in playback, one would want to Render (hitting the Enter key). As you have noticed, when almost anything has been added to a Clip, whether an Effect, a Title, a PiP (Picture in Picture), or a Transition, the red line appears. I normally am able to get adequately smooth playback, even with the red line. Now, when I am perhaps animating Effects with Keyframes, I may well need to Render, and for every change that I make - it just depends. One can also limit the area of the Timeline that gets Rendered with the WAB (Work Area Bar). This can be set to say one Clip, or area of a Clip, so that Rendering is ONLY done for that area. With animated Effects, I might Render dozens of times, just for that area, until I have things exactly as I want.

One many Projects, even with a bunch of red lines, I might never Render, as playback is more than adequate for me to judge how things look.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                    2strokeman Level 1

Ok, well here is my information, atleast what I could gather up:

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit OS

Pentium Dual Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz

Ram - 3.00 GB

Graphics - Mobile Intel 4 Series express chipset family

1309 MB total available graphics ???

Primary Hard Disc - 179GB free of 287Gb

The device I will be loading all my videos from is a SONY BLOGGIE which records in HD and formats in MP4 or MPEG-4 (I was told those are the same)

I loaded everything into the Adobe software cut clips and added a little slow motion and then rendered (pressed enter) all bars turned green. I then put transitions in between clips, now bars are red and some green, so after doing all that, I rendered again, all bars are green! feelin good about myself. Went to play the video and the first couple transitions were good, nice and smooth, but then it started doing the laggy crap again and started jumping around! I then shut down the program and here Iam!!

Scott

• 7. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Scott,

MP4 (the H.264 CODEC) will require a lot of CPU horsepower, and I feel that anything less than a fast Quad-core, or i7, will lag. I am not sure that much can be done about this. If the Rendered Timeline lags, the only choices would be to perhaps add more 7200 RPM HDD's to spread the I/O load (not as useful as a faster CPU with either H.264, or the AVCHD variant), or add a faster CPU, but that will most likely require a new MoBo.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                        2strokeman Level 1

What about say an i3 or i5, Im in the market for a new computer but wow are they proud of the i7's!! Any suggestions on computer?????

• 9. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                          DurbsLad Level 1

2strokeman, something you may not be aware of: what you see in the preview does not correspond directly to the finished product.  What I mean is that the finished product will be rendered from start to finish in the final form, whereas the preview is flinging together bits and pieces on the fly and doing a lot of work as it goes.  The final product will be a stream of images shown in sequence, and is a lot less work to display.  The jerkiness is a symptom of all the frantic calculation going on, and the final output should not have that jerkiness.  Rendering the workspace should reduce it, but you could still have problems caused by other things such as your file system: NTFS is very much better than FAT32, which you might be running - if so, convert it to NTFS (Windows Help tells you how).

As far as CPU upgrades go, bear in mind that it probably means a new motherboard as well.  If you go AMD (you generally get more bang for your buck, but people will argue technicalities on this one, with a degree of religious fervour at times) this is a certainty, and if you go to a newer Intel processor it's very likely.  If you are upgrading, consider going 64-bit, because it's faster and address spaces are larger (and it supports more than the 3GB 32-bit Windows supports) and pretty much all CPUs are 64-bit these days.  Also bear in mind that Windows licences are moe expensive to upgrade between versions than to buy a new OEM licence with new hardware, but consider all possible versions before deciding because the cost difference between OEM versions is very much less than the upgrade from, for example, Pro to Ultimate ($10 compared to $200 when I bought a new machine).  If you plan to use virtual machines, Ultimate is probably best, and otherwise, my preference is Pro).  Check the difference between versions before making a decision, and be sure you get a version which supports what you need.  Avoid Home Basic - it won't do some basic things; if I remember correctly, you can't even change the desktop background (wallpaper, in the old terminology).

• 10. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                            2strokeman Level 1

Well I finally got things rolling a little bit, Iam going to say my lag issue is my computer and its capabilitys not being good enough. On another not Iam still having trouble with the titles and all that jazz, when I click on the "titles" button and they all pop up I can only choose the first 3, all the other ones say that in order to use these I have to upgrade to plus, and says this " the option you have chosen is exclusivley to plus members and wants me to upgrade.

• 11. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you trying to use Title Templates, that appear in the Titles display Panel? The ones that are available with the Plus membership should be flagged (think that it is a yellow logo on them), and to access those Templates, one would need the Plus membership. All of the other Title Templates should be available for use, as they are all installed with the Functional Content. There are several, however, that are only displays, until one "unlocks" them with the Plus membership. I am not fond of this method, though it is one that Pinnacle Studio has used for many years. With that program, one gets the displays of tons of Menus, Effects, Transitions and Templates, that have to be subsequently purchased to use. Pinnacle Studio users have been in a state of confusion, from when this method was first introduced, about Studio 6, or 7, IIRC. Also, that program is sold in many versions, and the main difference between say Silver, and Titanium (or whatever they are calling them now), is that the more one pays, the more of those items is unlocked upon installation. Unfortunately, ALL are shown, but only some will be available, until one buys the unlock key.

Exactly which Title Templates are you trying to use? Is there a special banner/logo on those?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                                2strokeman Level 1

Ok, well after I finished the editing, I endered it once more, then played it to see what would happen. It was still really laggy but after uploading it onto youtube it was fine, there was no laggy clips or anything. I think I just need to go through a "how to" tutorial to figure out how to use titles and all the good editing stuff. If I have anymore questions I will certainly ask you guys. Thank you so much for the information I appreciate it!

Scott

• 13. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                                  nealeh Level 5

This is what your Titles pane should look like. Make sure that you do not have the 'Filter By:' set to 'Plus Members Only'. There should be dozens of standard titles available. If you do not then maybe you have not installed the Additional Content.

1.png

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale
                                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                                    2strokeman Level 1

There is a total of 32 that I can choose from and I think I can only use about 5-10 of them Iam not sure really dont want to waist time going through all of them, were can I get these additional content downloads? Thanks Neal, also it was set on General, not plus members only.

Scott

• 15. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                                      2strokeman Level 1

Also I dont have near the options in the choices as you do. Must be the add on pack

• 16. Re: Just bought Premiere 9..Confused
                                        nealeh Level 5

If you have the retail version, the additional content is on the second disk for your operating system. If a download version then from http://www.adobe.com/special/premiereel/downloads/

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children