3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 4:37 AM by FrequentFlyer789

Having trouble with overlays

FrequentFlyer789

Made a video so that was easier to see my mistakes

As you can see I'm struggling with basic concepts.

• 1. Re: Having trouble with overlays
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's really hard to say what's going on without a higher rez screenshot of your comp. If you have lighting effects then you have 3D layers and your 2D shape layer would not be effected by the lights. Try changing the shape layer to 3D.

Also, if you're layering basically white over white you'll only get white. You said in your narration that you changed the color but I didn't see any color change in your example.

If you simply want to change the color of the background you can do that by going to the composition settings and choosing a new background color there.

Post a full screenshot (not a movie) of your composition layers and maybe I can get a better idea of what's causing your problem.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Having trouble with overlays
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Rick said, it's very hard to see what's going on with such a low-resolution movie, but I'll try to answer what I can based on what I could make out.

First of all, I very strongly recommend that you work your way through the basic getting-started materials listed on this page, in the order that they're listed.

Regarding changing the color of the rectangle: You drew a shape layer.  To change the color of a shape layer, you change its fill color. But a shape layer isn't really the best tool for the job if you just want to change the background color. As Rick said, you can change the composition background color. Or you could use a solid-color layer.

Regarding your difficulty getting the rectangle layer to be behind the other layers: I couldn't see very well in your movie, but I'm guessing that you have a bunch of 3D layers in there. 3D layers appear in front of or behind one another based on (among other things) the Position property. 2D layers, on the other hand, appear in front of or behind one another based entirely on the layer stacking order. When you mix 2D and 3D layers, things get tricky. After you've worked your way through the basic materials, come back, and we'll answer all of your questions about that specific trickiness.

Oh, and the T column that you clicked in several times to change transparency... It doesn't do what you think it does. See this page for an overview of various ways to change transparency. The T switch is described here.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Having trouble with overlays
              FrequentFlyer789 Level 1

I watched this in full screen and I didn't see any problems in seeing what was done. Also, as I said in the video I went through all of the basic tutorials on adobe and on other sites, spent days watching and taking notes but I appreciate the link.

I appreciate that you took the time to answer, have a nice day.