6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 2:52 PM by areohbee

Bug Report: getCollectionByLocalIdentifier throws assert error

ckhorne

[Deleted from general discussion and moved here]

If I dump out the collections  using catalog:getCollections, build a table of internalIdentifiers, and  then later try to look up a collection by one of those id's, lua blows  up at me - an asert error IIRC. I've tried with known good ID's and with  bad ID's - I get the same error.

I can, however  innefficiently, create a table using catalog:getCollections()  recursively and then looking up in my own table by ID, but I am unable  to get the catalog:getCollectionByLocalIdentifier( id ) working.

• 1. Re: Bug Report: getCollectionByLocalIdentifier throws assert error
          areohbee Level 5

Thanks for letting us (plugin authors) know. And, once upon a time, Eric Scouten (of Adobe) hung out on this forum and acknowleged reports like this, and he once said "this is the place to report bugs in the SDK". However, those days are gone at least for now - there is no indication anyone at Adobe is even reading the SDK forum anymore, so it is probably a good idea to report real bugs on the official form as well.

PS - I've referenced the problem here.

Rob

• 2. Re: Bug Report: getCollectionByLocalIdentifier throws assert error
            ckhorne Level 1

Gotcha - I couldn't find any FAQ or anything that said where to send things to. Sometimes, it appeared the bugs went into forums, then via the Contact Us page, and then this forum, so I just put it where it made sense.

In the future, I'll note it the forum you've referenced. Thanks for the heads up.

• 3. Re: Bug Report: getCollectionByLocalIdentifier throws assert error
              areohbee Level 5

The SDK forum is much smaller and more "intimate" than the big Lightroom forum, and I sometimes entertain the (probably naive) notion that at least one Adobe engineer is still reading every word of this forum but maybe Adobe's present thinking is that a "listen but dont talk" policy may be best...

To be honest, given that so few of the bugs I've reported anywhere have ever been fixed, I'm not sure Adobe has time to fix many bugs between dot releases, more less dot-dot releases. Sorry for being a downer, but I'd be lieing if I said it isn't discouraging to me...

Personally, I'd be "happy enough" if Adobe would just document known issues between releases, so people like you and me dont have to discover this stuff the hard way...

Cheers,

Rob

• 4. Re: Bug Report: getCollectionByLocalIdentifier throws assert error
                ckhorne Level 1

Rob-

I kinda wondered if this were the case. I've been working on a rather complex plugin (for doing iPad <-> LR sync in a new iPad app I'm working on with another guy) - about 5,000 lines of lua for the plugin. While I've done development professionally for years, this was my first jump into lua. I found little in the way of support when it came to lua, and even less so with LR plugin development. It feels like there's only a handful of LR plugin developers in the world... and most all of them reference the same code.

After ~2 months of development for the plugin, I'm happy to say that it all works (although there's undoubtedly bugs somewhere), but that was in part due to scouring the web and finding gems like your own RC libraries. I didn't use them directly, but did glean some useful tidbits from them (and for that, I thank you!). In retrospect, I probably should have used this forum more to get through some of the issues, and maybe I will in the future.

Maybe the small lrplugin community should start a wiki to catalog all these...

Thanks-

-chris

• 5. Re: Bug Report: getCollectionByLocalIdentifier throws assert error
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Rob has already started that Wiki:

http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/lrdevplugin

Much of that site is devoted to the particular framework he's developing, but there are also places to record plugin knowledge independent of the framework.

• 6. Re: Bug Report: getCollectionByLocalIdentifier throws assert error
                    areohbee Level 5

ckhorne wrote:

The link John gave is a place where an attempt has been started to do that, however no attempt has been made for it to be all inclusive yet. I document new stuff there as it comes up, but for all the rest, the forum is still the best resource.

The lrdevplugin site at assembla does have a convenience link to display all the SDK bug threads in this forum:

https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/lrdevplugin/Lr_API_Notes

Rob