26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2011 7:25 AM by kazmandu

Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD

Toomany3 Level 1

I have about 6 months worth of work sitting on a Premiere CS5 timeline that's 30-minutes long. I'm ready to make a DVD.

I can not seem to render the whole thing out now or have Encore push out a DVD without it crashing.  I have tried it on 3 different powerhouse computers and all of them crash.

Most all my errors are either "Blue screen of death" or "Could not render.  Unknown error."

The latest error I got that actually has something descriptive is:

"Premiere Pro Debug Event:  Premiere Pro has encountered an error. [..\..\Src\VideoFrameFactory.cpp-234]"

I have the latest updates on all computers.  The project renders fine/normal on the PP timeline (with either ENTER or from the menus).  I get the green bar all the way accross and can scrub though fine.  But to export the entire project just aint working.

• 1. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
          Toomany3 Level 1

Perhaps to clairify, this is a FINAL project composed of 5 different PP projects.  It's a rather envolved project with lots of effects, cuts, etc. so we split up the project into 5 sections.

Now that all 5 sections are complete, we have imported them into one final project and simply dropped the 5 finished sequences into one master timeline for final-final editing (trasitions, etc.).

Now these 5 sections are just one project which will not export into any of the major formats (.MOV, h.264, etc.).  Nor can I make a DVD of it without Encore crashing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I read some posts that Encore CS4 didnt' like spaces in the file names.  Is that still an issu in CS5?  I do have a lot of spaces in the projects.

• 2. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

A BSOD is almost always a hardware issue. It can be heat buildup, RAM going bad, or similar. I would try to immediately rule out the hardware first. This ARTICLE will give you some tips and links.

If the hardware checks out fine, then I would switch OFF Reboot on Error, and look closely at the BSOD for details. Also, look at this ARTICLE on finding clues as to what else might be happening.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - do you have any gaps in your Video?

• 3. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I read some posts that Encore CS4 didnt' like spaces in the file names.  Is that still an issu in CS5?  I do have a lot of spaces in the projects.

Yes, spaces, some characters and overly-long file names are still an issue. This is because Encore uses the Sonic AuthorCore modules, and they do not do well with those elements.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will check them all out.  For what it's worth, the blue screen of death only happened one time on one machine.  The other times were "unknown error" errors, the others were simply "stopped responding" messages that stay on 24 hours.

The machines are all virtually brand new.  6 months old and about $4000-6000 each.... and it's happening on all of them in some form or another.

I should have looked at the BSOD message, but didn't.  Dang!

Is there a way to log errors on Encore or PP?  Ctrl-click icon until splash page or something?    

• 5. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use the windows event viewer to see what it has to say about the error.  What adobe module is involved?

Based on your description of multiple machines, etc, I'd also be careful to look at each situation and then error.

For example, when you try to dynamic link to Encore, what happens?  Does windows event viewer log an error?

Can you export a small portion of the timeline successfully?

As a workaround, if it comes to that (and if I were you, it has already!), did you really have to put the 5 projects into 1, or could you export something from each one?

Or can you dynamic link from subproject 1 to Encore successfully?  Can each of the subprojects be its own timeline in Encore?

Even if you don't elect such options as a workaround, they may be instructive as to whether they work with some of the subprojects and not others.

• 6. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Use the windows event viewer to see what it has to say about the error.  What adobe module is involved?

I agree, and that is the thrust of the second article that I linked above - using the Event Viewer to search for "clues." Sometimes, one only ends up with a bunch of gobbeldygook (technical computer term), that not even an MS developer, or coder can decipher, but often there is a link that leads right to the faulting module(s).

If all else fails, look down that BSOD article for the link to The Case of the Unexplained. Do not use the link in the second article to that video, as it has been changed.

Also, to the OP, do you have any active anti-virus software running? A lot of problems are developing because of those programs. All active scanning, anti-virus, spy-sweeping can really, really get in the way. I recommend turning all such programs OFF, for an editing session. This ARTICLE will offer a few tips, and since it was written, the active anti-virus software has become much more intrusive to editing. There is also a link to Black Viper's Win7 Tune Up Tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD

I agree, and that is the thrust of the second article that I linked above - using the Event Viewer to search for "clues."

I forgot that was in there!

• 8. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You know, sometimes I forget what is in some of the older articles too - and that I might have linked to them up-thread.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                          Kona Bob Level 2

Another way I would troubleshoot this is to render out each of the 5 subprojects to a single movie file in the same format as the project original.

If you get errors or failure on one of them, you know the problem is in that section somewhere- some corrupted element on the timeline, corrupt project file, etc. and you can zero in on it & figure it out.

If they all render out O.K., then open a new project and import the 5 sub movies, splice them together and try again to export to Encore.

• 10. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                            fincaman2 Level 1

Hello There, this might be a shot in the dark but I had a similar problem, in my case the computer would just freeze a few minutes in to Encore render. I am using an i7 processor with a Gigabyte motherboard which is designed to overclock when needed, I had to go into bias and reduce how much it overclocked and this cured the problem. Worth a try

Regards

Kevin

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                              Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks everyone.  I will respond to the specifics in a bit, but suffice to say I have done pretty much everything above.  Split the project back up and have had success rendering out all 6 parts of the program (it grew by 1 part in the resplit).

Now I'm getting a different kind of error going back and forth from Encore:

PProHeadless.exe - No Disk

There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive

\Device\Harddisk5\DR5

It gives three options:  Cancel, Try Again, Continue.  Clicking on any of the 3 doesn't make any difference, the (now annoying) Windows alert bing triggers and the same dialog instantly reappears.

Not sure what this means.  I have harddrives and a blank DVD in the drive all ready to go.  Windows sees it.

??

• 12. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                RDA972 Level 3

Have you tried making an image instead of a DVD?

If you can produce an image of the Encore timeline you can burn it using Nero for instance.

• 13. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD

There have been instances of Encore not opening/loading correctly with a blank disk in the drive.  I do not think this is your issue but I would try it without a blank disk.

• 14. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The PrPro Headless is a sub-set of PrPro, that is invoked with the use of ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link), and basically allows Encore to load just the needed elements from PrPro, without opening the full program.

As a test, before you work in Encore, launch PrPro with that Project Open, then just minimize it. Now try Encore. Do you get the PrPro Headless error?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - note that I refrained from making my tired joke about PrPro Headless only showing up near Halloween...

• 15. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                      Toomany3 Level 1

Funny Bill!  Haha!

Baby steps.... now I'm getting another error:

The software that is used to decode the media is not available on this system.  Installing the correct decoders for the files you are working with may help correct the problem.

Then it just gives me the option to click "OK."  I looked for the "not OK" button, but it's not there. 

I'm going to try the suggestions now.  GRRR!  Hope this works!  I've got to get this disc out to the clients today! 

• 16. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's look at this file in detail. What is the format, and what is the CODEC used?

It is likely that:

• The necessary CODEC is missing from the system, or has become corrupted
                                        • The necessary CODEC is one that PrPro cannot use
                                        • The necessary CODEC has been overwritten by some other program, like a CODEC pack
                                        • The necessary CODEC has had its priority usurped by another CODEC, and this happens often with CODEC packs

Knowing the exact CODEC will be the very first step in figuring out which of the above apply in this case.

One can use G-SPOT (PC only), or MediaInfo (PC, or Mac), to gather the necessary info. Both are great, free utilities.

Good luck, and please let us know more about that file,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                          Toomany3 Level 1

Hey guys,

Well I'm making progress, but the "2 steps forward, 2 steps backwards" type of progress.

I keep attacking the problems based on your suggestions.  Some work, some don't, but that's the game, right?

Now I'm getting some weird errors that cause it to go into "not responding" mode:

TIFFReadDirectory Warning

\\?\R:\........\blahblah.tif: wrong data type 7 for "XMLPacket"; tag ignored

This is really strange because it's happening all over the place where we exported some TIFF stills directly from the PP timeline (using the little camera icon) for a freeze-frame effect.  These have been in the project for months with no issues, but now they are surfacing as problems.  I can't get past this except to delete the TIFFs, but they are just as important to the final render as some of the video or audio clips.

Any more suggestions?

• 18. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never had any issues with still images sized to near the Frame Size of the Project. I am finishing one Project with 3000+ still images, plus many other Assets.

I would suspect that something else is going on here. Could be systemic, or perhaps with the install. You are encountering errors, that almost no one else has had, per my reading of the forum over the years.

Something is just not right.

Good luck, but I am out of ideas,

Hunt

• 19. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                              Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks... grrr!

This project is big, has lots and lots of cuts, transitions, etc.  Probably 3000+ cuts.  I don't think it's anything that's never been done before.  And really, upon looking at it, it's not really outside of a normal show.  It's only 28:30 minutes long split up into six sections.  This is our first big project with Premiere.

Here's a sample of something we rendered out a couple months ago.  Please keep in mind this is a rough, uncolored, unpolished edit that was meant for internal review purposes and isn't a final cut:  http://www.vimeo.com/18168346.  You can see that the program isn't outside the realm of normal with the music, sound effects, and video cuts.  It's a pretty normal show, something I would think Premiere/Encore should be able to handle no prob!

This is an ongoing program and we've spent about 12 cumulative days on  just trying to get it from our timelines to a regular DVD.  I expected some hurdles along the way, especially with Blu-ray, but I can't even get that far.  I can't seem to get it out of Premiere into Encore.

We definitely don't want to go through this next time.  I'm just wondering, what, IF ANYTHING, I'm doing wrong because my timelines play back just fine in Premiere.  I haven't had too many problems, other than AE not dynamically linking some things seamlessly, but overall I LOVE Premiere.  But I ABSOLUTELY MUST be able to get my project out on DVD in order to stay in business.

I appreciate everyone's help.  I assumed if I had no problems in my timelines, I should have no problems exporting to Blu-ray or DVD.... You know what they say about assuming.....

Not sure what more I can do but, gulp, call tech support and spend the next 2 hours working my way up the tech support food-chain to finally reach the guy that will be able to help me.

• 20. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                                Toomany3 Level 1

Capture.PNG

Here's a snip of a typical timeline.  Nothing really out of the ordinary.

• 21. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                                  piccadillypunter Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to these forums as a poster, but not as a looker.  However, I noticed this post and wondered if you sorted it out.

I also had three PP projects which were all involved and big.  I wanted to put them on one Bluray disc.  There were 22 sequences in the three PP projects and they just fittted into 25gb.

I had so many crashes I almost cried.  It was so frustrating.  Using Adobe Bridge across to Encore you can only send one sequence across so that is no good.  I began the Encore project and tried using the AB to bring them over, but it took literally hours to open the various PP projects.  Eventually I had it all  together but then the transcoding took - well it never di d finish because it crashed at various points.  The last straw was after 16 hours of transcoding on a very fast machine it gave me yet another BSOD.

In frustration I went back to basics and discovered I could export from pp each sequence using Adobe Media Encoder and queue them up and then start the queue.  The first time I tried I accepted the Adobe names (very clever 01. 02 .. etc but startin again for each sequwence - however Iput them in different folders to separate them.  This caused all sorts of problems in Encore and I found they all have to have unique names from pp (cant rename them) for Encore to work.

They still caused BSOD several times during transcoding, but they save the ones already done - Encore does not save during it's 16 hour stint - and I simpy had to reboot, clean up the mess, and restat the queue at the point it crashed.  After four tries it finished the queue!

Importing these into Encore is easy as - and quick too - the Encore project opens in one minute instead of 1 hour, and then it is just a matter of doing the menus etc.

Maybe this will help someone else.  The final product is just brilliant.

Piccadillypunter

• 22. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Piccadilly,

First, a BSOD is most often a hardware issue, or can be caused by a bad driver conflicting badly with the OS.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips and things to look for. I would handle this first.

Next, one can start their Project in Encore, and from there, use ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) to choose the Sequence(s), that will be required. When going from PrPro, one has the option of Sequence, but if they start from Encore, there is not the same limitation.

Hope that helps, and please dig into the BSOD. With Transcoding, my bets would be: heat, RAM or PSU issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD

They still caused BSOD several times during transcoding, but they save the ones already done - Encore does not save during it's 16 hour stint

If you transcode in Encore using the "transcode now" option before building, it will save each one that is done.  Are you sure that the ones completed weren't done?

No matter; congratulations on getting the job done!  Now as Hunt says, sort out the source of those nasty problems!

• 24. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                                        piccadillypunter Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.  I have tried lots of things on the hardware front.  It seems strange to me that it works sometimes and not others.

I bought a new machine to do this work – it is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit – has 8gb of memory and 4tb of disk in a raid 5 formation giving me an effective 3.5tb of disk in two pools.  There is plenty of disk room and the virtual memory is now min 32gb to max 64gb.  The processor is an Intel Core i7-950 3.06ghz on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard and the video card is a Radeon HD5770 HIS 1gb 5770 PBI-E VGA Card.  I have tested this configuration extensively with ATI Catalyst and it works fine with all but this software.

It is in a very open case with lots of fans, aircond, and the Catalyst performance board does not show it is getting overheated.

The transcode now option is greyed out for some reason when doing bluray.

If someone has a suggestion on hardware i would be keen to hear, but I have tried it with other taxing video programs with no problems.  I can cause it easily by loading premierepro and switching sequences quickly before it has loaded all the media - that is a hard-on problem.

• 25. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD

The transcode now option is greyed out for some reason when doing bluray.

Hmmm.  Make sure you are selecting the asset only, not the timeline - and that it shows as needing to be transcoded.  (What does the one you are trying say for transcode status?)

• 26. Re: Premiere and Encore Can't Make DVD
                                                            kazmandu Level 1

Just a heads up to anyone else having the:

[..\..\Src\VideoFrameFactory.cpp-234]"   error

I had the same error and PP even crashed. I checked the video just to see if the movie gods were on my side and it was playable even though PP crashed with that error code. So check the video just in case before freaking out like I did. But if you're reading this you're already freaking out I would bet.