It was the new feature, Protected Mode.
However, the problem is not yet solved. I can MANUALLY uncheck the Enable Protected Mode at Startup checkbox (on General page from Edit, Preferences), but it needs to be done programmatically.
I found the Registry setting I want to modify in code before someone prints:
1. The key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Privileged
2. The value is bProtectedMode
3. The data I want to write is the number 0, for off.
I wrote a program that can modify registry settings for REG_SZ data types and it works. But bProtectedMode is REG_DWORD, and I cannot get that to work. If I leave the desired data 0 as a number I get a data-type mismatch error because the Win32 API function is declared to expect a string for that argument. But if I convert the desired data 0 into a string -- I've tried "0", " 0",, and "0000", the last 2 because REG_DWORD should be expecting 4 bytes of data -- I get weird values in the Registry's data.
Anyone know the trick?
I don't understand.
You already have a PDF that you open up in Adobe Reader. It looks like, so you print it to your printer. What type of printer is it?
And where does an "output PDF" come in? Are you saying that you are making a NEW PDF from the original PDF? Why would you want to do that?
What I mentioned was one part of what the program does with the PDF: if that one unit of functionality does not work, then the series of things cannot work.
The program can create multiple PDFs from running multiple Crystal Reports and images - the user selects which reports and which TIF, JPEG, etc. images to include in the batch. Then, the program "prints" all of those individual source PDFs - along with a final page report - to a single output PDF: this merges them into the single, final output PDF for the user. We use Black Ice printer drivers to do the "printing" part.
You have provided the answer but it's presented in what I feel is a confusing manner for most people who are wrangling with the gibberish problem. Permit me to state my explanation for those who might not see how simple the solution is:
Launch Adobe Reader X.
Click Edit > Preferences... > General
Uncheck the box that says Enable Protected Mode at Startup.
Exit Adobe Reader X in the usual manner.
Henceforth, the gibberish problem will be gone. You should not have to perform the above operations ever again unless the software is installed again on this or another platform.
That doesn't work: it doesn't meet the needs. I had already stated (2nd post) ...
I can MANUALLY uncheck the Enable Protected Mode at Startup checkbox (on General page from Edit, Preferences), but it needs to be done programmatically.
I understand that, for your purposes, it needs to be done programmatically. However, for many who encounter this question by Googling for "adobe reader x gibberish" as I did, what I presented is likely to be all they need, as it was in my case. In other words, your partial solution was a complete solution for me -- for which I thank you!
A few things...
1) The process you are using is significantly flawed. Printing a PDF to another PDF will ruin all manner of PDF features. It is NOT recommended.
2) The printer driver you are using clearly is doing something improper that it can't run in our Protected Mode. If you insist of using this method, then ensure that you are using the latest version of the driver and/or look for alternatives.
3) You can't switch out of protected mode while Reader is running - that would ruin the whole idea of protected mode.
It's not just his printer. I have a HP printer that has the same problem. I've found two work arounds for the "gibberish" issue.
1) Disable protected mode.
2) Don't close Adobe Reader until printing is finished.
See this link for a scan of what the printed document looks like and what the printed version looks like:
Personally I've found Adobe Reader X to be unusable when Protected Mode is on. There's just too many bugs: can't save PDF file (easy to reproduce, click save, click cancel, click save), can't open PDF file in web browser (also easy to reproduce - open PDF that opens solely in plugin), can't print PDF file correctly (same problem mentioned here), etc. I haven't tried 10.0.1 yet to see if any of these have been fixed.
Even if I uncheck "enable protected mode" I still get gibberish. NitroPDF prints the same PDFs fine.
I had the same problem with Adobe 9 (with all the updates)
Tried everything to unblock the black marks on the page as suggested on all the posts.
The quick fix:
I ended up downloading Adobe Read XI, opened the file and then printed without any problems.