14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2011 6:06 AM by A.T. Romano

PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers

SnowBlades

Long time searcher, first time poster...

I have been creating a HD video with PrE7. Using PrE, I burned the video to a Verbatim Blu-Ray [BD-R] disc, and play-tested it in my Sony Blu-Ray player. The disc is comprised of a series of short movies. The Disc Menus appeared, and I clicked to play the primary movie. Everything appeared fine, until the first movie came to it's stop marker and was supposed to end. Instead of returning to the main menu, the movie continued playing as though there were no stop marker installed. Subsequently, the next short movie played... ignored its stop marker, and the following movie played... etc...

All the Menu/Scene markers showed up correctly in the menus, but not one of my stop markers brought the disc back to the main menu. When I burned the entire thing to a DVD, the menus/scenes/stop markers all functioned correctly. I did add more videos with scenes and stop markers between the DVD and Blu-Ray burns, but other than unwittingly changing a setting, I don't see where that would have made my Stop Markers useless.

Also, I burned the Blu-Ray using H.264. Can anyone shed some light on the difference between H.264 and MPEG2, with regards to advantages/disadvantages to using one or the other? Would this make a difference to the Menus/Stop Markers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
          nealeh Level 5

When you added additional material did you put a STOP marker at the very end of your timeline? If so delete it - it is unnecessary and (for DVD's at least) causes burn errors. If you did, try burning again after deleting it and see if that helps (I suggest you use re-writeable BD disks during testing).

MPEG2 is the DVD standard, H.264 is for High Definition. There should be no difference concerning STOP markers.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
            SnowBlades Level 1
            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

nealeh wrote:

When you added additional material did you put a STOP marker at the very end of your timeline?

Ahh, yeah. I did. I'll try deleting it and report back if that fixes the problem.

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

nealeh wrote:

MPEG2 is the DVD standard, H.264 is for High Definition. There should be no difference concerning STOP markers.

Thanks for the help and info Neale.

Edit: For formatting

• 3. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
              SnowBlades Level 1

Well, Adobe finally went and p----d me off enough that I abandonded it as any sort of finishing program. I am going to give another program a shot. I never got around to trying the solution that Neale offered, because I wanted to correct another video quality issue that arose. In the process of that, PrE7 finally pushed me over the edge [yeah, I still used it, even though it killed my laptop--which was sufficient to run the program.] So hopefully if someone knows something about this issue, they can provide more light. In the "More Like This" column to the side, I finally found Stop Markers thread from about two years ago, which addresses the same exact issue. No solution there. Steve's helpful tip is not an issue in my case, as my clips were probably more like 2 to 6 seconds apart. Bill's question regarding the Menu Markers being named is not an issue either, as all of my menu markers were named. The menu markers seemed to work fine in my case, but the stop markers had no effect.

In case it helps anyone else out, my BluRay burner is a hp bd340i, the computer has a Core i7 2.8 GHz with 6 GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD with over 700GB still available. I have an ATI Radeon 5800 Series vid card, with 1 GB of DDR3 dedicated memory. Definitely capable of running HD video through PrE7.

• 4. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                nealeh Level 5

Well you really should try deleting that stop marker at the end of your timeline, it is a known 'no no'.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale

• 5. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Many people here really like Sony's DVD Architect, as it allows much more control and features that the authoring modules in PrE do not. I have not used it, but others love it, and our MOD, Steve Grisetti, has written two books on that authoring program.

I use Adobe Encore, which is a full-featured authoring app., but unfortunately, it is ONLY available bundled with PrPro, so is not available as a stand-alone product. If I did not have it, I would definitely look to DVD Architect, and just pick up one of Steve's books on it.

For the Stop Marker issue, I would test Neale's suggestion, as it has helped many in the past. Adding that extra Stop Marker at the end of the Timeline, has tripped up many users.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt and others involved in this thread....

Please dust off your memory on this one.. not so long ago did not this type of issue come up before, namely, problems with the use of Stop Markers (any where) in thePremiere Elements Share/ burn to disc BluRay? I need to dig out what I think I recall.  My recollection is that the person reporting the problem got no where with this issue, from Adobe or elsewhere.The YES it works or NO it does not work definite answer never materialized for this person. But, let me see if I can find that series of posts.

Have you, Neale, or anyone else reading or involved in this thread actually created a project with Stop Markers and then burned that Timeline to Share/Disc/BluRay (H.264 or MPEG2...preset) and gotten them to work at all?

ATR

• 7. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                      nealeh Level 5

I don't have Blu-ray so I cannot test the problem.  I suggested deleting the end stop marker for two reasons (1) the poster confirmed that he added an end of timeline stop marker AFTER doing his original DVD test and (2) it is a known problem for DVD so may well be the same in Blu-ray.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Neale

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51986

The above thread is from the other Premiere Elements Forum that I frequent and dates back to 2009 regarding the no can do re: stop markers/Premiere Elements/BluRay. Note the comment by Chuck Engels placed in that thread. stanwilliamson who was in desparate search for an answer posted his question in many forums at the time. Supported by the Chuck Engels reference to "Adobe Forum" in his post in that thread and my recollection that there was a thread here on the matter as, I know it is here but I cannot find it. I am not sure if it is still available with the forum restructioning that takes place here from time to time. That was a 2009 thread, and it is now 2011.

Different time, different version. Hoping someone who has been there and done that can come forward and contribute a YES/NO answer for any version of Premiere Elements, from the year 2009 to the present 2011.

I will keep searching.

ATR

PS I wish  we could re-enforce "no stop marker" at the end of the last item on the Timeline. That oversight has caused many a problem. DVD, for sure; BluRay, probably also if stop markers really do work at all in the Premiere Elements Share/Disc/BluRay end product.

• 9. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                          Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Well, I have pre9 and a Blu-ray burner and a Sony Blu-ray disc player. After burning a Blu-ray disc, there is no stopping and returning to the main menu at stop markers or even at the end of the movie with or without an explicit stop marker. When the end of the movie is reached, the disc stops playing without returning to the menu and the Blu-ray player returns to Home.

• 10. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert J Johnston

Thank you for posting that important Premiere Elements 9/BluRay/Stop Marker information. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, as I said, I cannot test this myself since I do not have BluRay equipment available to me. I am still at the level of your marvelous suggestion for the use of the Phantom Burner for burn to folder for BluRay using Premiere Elements. Recently I went from Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit where I had been using the Phantom Burner to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and was pleased to find the download for this Phantom Burner that worked for my Windows 7 without having to use it in its Windows XP Mode/virtual Machine (by the way, that Phantom Burner works there also).

I do have one question about your workflow. You say "I have pre9 and a Blu-ray burner and a Sony Blu-ray disc player". Is your Share/Disc/BluRay preset = H.264 or MPEG2 choice and what is the nature of your BluRay player? You say Sony. Is it the Sony Play Station 3 or a standalone Sony BluRay and DVD player? I am curious to know if a Premiere Elements 9 BluRay Format on a BluRay disc (BD-R) can be played back on a Sony Play Station 3 with the latest firmware with or without Stop Markers in that Timeline burned to BluRay.

And, do you see any evidence of this type of Stop Marker issue when you preview the Timeline in the Disc Menus section of the program before going to Share for the burn to BluRay?

Thanks again for your significant contribution here and all the rest in the past.

ATR

• 11. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                              Robert J. Johnston Level 2

The Share>Disc>Blu-ray preset is h264 1440x1080.

When previewing the menu in Premiere Elements 9, the stop markers work correctly.

When playing back the Blu-ray disc on my computer in Arcsoft's media player 5, the stop markers don't work.

My Blu-ray disc player is a standalone Sony BDP-S370. Stop markers don't work when playing back on TV with this disc player.

If you like Phantom Burner, you might like Virtual CD 10 that they put out: http://www.virtualcd.de/vcd/apps/download/download.cfm?lg=0

• 12. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert J. Johnston,

Thanks for the follow up information. As always, very interesting and informative.

ATR

• 13. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                                  dranle Level 1

Hi,

I have the same problem with the stop markers in PRE9.0.1. They work in the preview-mode inside the PRE-project but not from the disc (PC or stand-alone BD-player).

That's awesome, if there is no solution for this problem I have to look for another programm.

Regards

Andreas Lenz

• 14. Re: PrE7 Blu-Ray Disc disregards Stop Markers
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas Lenz

Unfortunately, the matter stands as stated. From the days of Premiere  Elements 7 to Premiere Elements 9, NO ONE has come forward to state that  he/she has taken a Premiere Elements Timeline with stop markers, burned  that Timeline to Blu-ray Format/Blu-ray disc in Premiere Elements, and obtained  Blu-ray format on Blu-ray disc where the stop markers were recognized  at playback with a player.

I have Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8, and 9 and, with my Blu-ray equipment, I  can confirm the "stop markers ignored" matter mentioned above.

From what I have read, the BDMV format that Adobe uses for its burn to  Blu-ray (with or without menus included) is what is considered true  Blu-ray authoring. Classically I have seen the distinction made
                                    BDMV (format allows for menus, not compatible with all players, true Blu-ray authoring)
                                    BDAV (cut down version of BDMV, no menus)...you see this a lot with OEM Blu-ray software that comes bundled with a Blu-Ray burner.
                                    Here the BDAV is considered the more player compatible of the two.
                                    All that being said, I have not explored other Blu-ray authoring  software as an alternative for this issue. I have yet to find one non Adobe software that specifically mentions stop markers in its promotions.

We will continue to explore this issue and the Blu-ray format standard's support for stop markers in general and report back with any further developments.

ATR