6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 7:48 AM by TucsonJeff1

CTI goes beyond end of movie!

TucsonJeff1 Level 1

I'm using PRE8 on Windows 7. I have a project which ends at 3 minutes. I've shortened the entire project to about 2 1/2 minutes. I've made sure that there are absolutely no objects past the new 2 1/2 minute mark. However, when I play the project within PRE8, the CTI continues past 2 1/2 minutes, and continues blankly on to the original 3 minute point. How can I get the CTI to stop at the new end of the project?? I've had this problem on other projects, too.

Thanks for your usual prompt response!

Jeff

• 1. Re: CTI goes beyond end of movie!
          nealeh Level 5

Almost certainly you have a rogue element on one of the timeline tracks (not necessarily the ones you think are only those in use)

• Press the backslash key [\]. This will expand or contract the timeline to fit the window.
          • Position the CTI towards the end of the timeline
          • then use the [Page Down] key to move from clip to clip.
          • When it moves beyond what you think is the ending zoom right in and you should find the rogue element (again, this may be on another track to the on(s) you think are the only ones you used). You may have multiple rogues so keep using the [Page Down] to find them all.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: CTI goes beyond end of movie!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale has covered things well. This ARTICLE, while probably echoing most of what he said, might also have a tip, or two.

One thing to look at is ALL Tracks, Video & Audio. In PrE, one usually has vertical Scroll Bars on the far-right of the Timeline Panel. Do not forget to Scroll, so that all Tracks have been observed. One can also Click-drag on the top of the Timeline Panel, to expand it to max height (Scroll Bars will then disappear), to see all Tracks at once. Look very closely for the Scroll Bars, as the GUI does not make them stand out that well, and many miss them.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: CTI goes beyond end of movie!
              TucsonJeff1 Level 1

Thanks for your prompt response! Yes, I already used the

tracking method to locate 'rogue' items, but found nothing. Attached is

a jpg file which shows /all/ tracks in the project. Note the position of

the CTI which is far beyond the end of the movie project. If there's a

'rogue' object in the project (and there just may be!), it's totally

invisible to me. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Jeff

• 4. Re: CTI goes beyond end of movie!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

The JPEG did not attach. Use the little "camera" icon on the top-middle of the editing screen, to attach it.

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

When looking for Orphans, I like to also zoom in on the horizontal view of the Timeline, so that one can see things at a Frame-level. In that view, hit the End key, to see exactly where the CTI goes. Does it go beyond where you think the Duration should end? If so, you have an Orphan. Also, do not forget to Scroll the Timeline, to see ALL Tracks.

One can also check the position of the CTI, where the last intended Clip ends vs the displayed Duration of the TimeCode.

Good luck, and hope you find your Orphan,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CTI goes beyond end of movie!
                  TucsonJeff1 Level 1

Hi, Bill !!

I greatly expanded the horizontal view of the timeline and was able to

locate the small objects causing the problem!! Many thanks to you and

Neale for your invaluable contributions to this forum!

Jeff

• 6. Re: CTI goes beyond end of movie!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

So glad that you found the Orphans. They are often created when one has Snap ON, and are just a bit too forceful, when butting up Clips. PrE will shear off a Frame, or two, and as one tightens the edits, those will be left behind. I do recommend leaving Snap ON, but taking care, when butting up Clips - be a little bit gentle, as there is no warning that an Orphan has been created - until the Duration suddenly goes wrong.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt