28 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 8:18 AM by the_wine_snob

need some help new to boards

Rdeweil

I have a video track and audio track. I am looking to make my video track match the beat in the audio track. the video and audio dont match up right now. i need to speed up the video to match the beat of the audio. can someone explaine how to do this.

thank you.

Ralph

• 1. Re: need some help new to boards
          nealeh Level 5

You use the timestretch tool - Right Click on the clip in the timeline. This can make your video faster (use a Speed % greater than 100 ) or slower (use a Speed % less than 100%).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: need some help new to boards
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ralph,

Welcome to the forum.

Neale has given you the info on the Time Stretch operation, to adjust the speed of your Video.

Should you need to Cut any of the Video to the beat, you can use the * key (asterix), on the numerical keypad (with NumLock ON), to place markers on the beats. Just play the Timeline, and tap the * key on the beats. Those Markers can make Cutting easier, with the Video. It might take a moment to get used to the tapping, but the Markers can also be moved to tweak things a bit. Also, as the Markers are attached to the Timeline, they remain in place (unless you move them), as you Cut and adjust your Video Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I sometimes confuse my Adobe programs, but think that PrE has a Detect Beats feature, as well. As I use PrPro, without such a feature, I use the * key method.

• 3. Re: need some help new to boards
              Rdeweil Level 1

hey everyone i wanted to thank you both for the help. i'm so new to this i only down loaded the trial ver, yesterday and all the options and basics have me dizzy right now. i do have a couple of more questions, ok this video stretch option i see if i speed the video up it also shortens the size of the clip. i need to lengthen a pace of video inside the video clip itself. so let's say i have a 2 min long video clip. The first 10 seconds i need to stretch to like 20 seconds then the rest of the 2 min l need to speed up to 111 percent. so i guess i need to split the video clip right? and make it 2 slips. so now for the next question, how the heck do i split a clip and make it 2 clips?

last question of the day, i have a 1.27 second video dead spot at the beginning of the video. another words the music starts and then the video starts 1.27 seconds into the music. what can i put in that spot like a fade in or somthing. also at the end of the song id like to do a fade of on the video or a spin ..somthing cool. how do i do that.

Thanks again everyone!

You guys Rock!

• 4. Re: need some help new to boards
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you have one Clip. We'll call it the "master Clip" here. There are several ways to divide that up, but this is probably the easiest and quickest: move the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line) to where you wish to Cut the Clip. Then, press Ctrl+K. Note: this will Cut everything (Audio & Video) at that point. There are ways around that, but we'll save that discussion for later. Now, you have two "sub-Clips" from that master Clip.*

Different Effects can be applied to the sub-Clips. If the change in speed (in your case) is a bit jarring, just add a Cross-Dissolve Transition at the junction of the two sub-Clips.

Good luck,

Hunt

* The official use of "Master-Clip"and "Sub-Clip" is different, but mainly in PrPro. Here, I used them for the example only, and that's why I did not capitalize Master, or Sub, and also placed the terms in "s.

• 5. Re: need some help new to boards
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several possible ways to handle that 00;01;27;00 (hours;minutes;seconds;frames) dead spot.

First that comes to my mind would be to use the Camera icon to Export a still of the first Frame of your Clip. Then place it in front of that Video Clip, and drag it to fill the space - effectively increasing the Duration of that Freeze Frame, that will come into the Project with the Still Duration set in Edit.Preferences>General. . That acts as a Freeze Frame, but we're going to give it some special treatment. Add a Dip-to-Black Transition at the very front (the Head of that still Clip), and carefully click on the Transition near the end of it, and drag it, to increase the Duration of the Transition to about 10 sec.. Now comes the more advanced lesson.

With that still Clip Selected, go to the Effects tab. Look for Blur (I like Gaussian Blur), and drag that Effect to the still Clip. In the Effects Panel, click on Edit Effects, and this will open the Effects Control Panel (very, very powerful tool, so remember this one, as you will use it a bunch over time). You will see the fixed Effects, like Motion, Opacity, etc., and will also see the Blur Effect that we added. Place the CTI at 00;00;00;00, which will be the first Frame of the still Clip. Note that there is a CTI in the Effects Control Panel, as well as the one on the Timeline and they will match up. Click the little "stopwatch" icon, which will toggle ON Keyframes and place a Keyframe at the very beginning of that still Clip - Frame 01. Now, go to the last Frame of that still Clip. Click on the Add Keyframe to place a Keyframe on that last Frame. Note: right now, the Attribute of each of those Keyframes is 0, i.e. no Blur yet. On either side of the Add Keyframe icon/button, there are two arrows, the Previous and the Next Keyframe navigation buttons. As there is no Next, with you on that last Keyframe, it will not be active, but the Previous Keyframe arrow will be. Click it to go back to the first Keyframe, the one at Frame 01. In the parameters area, click-drag (scrub) on the amount of Blur, and go with something like 15 - 20 (quite a bit of Blur). Last, Rt-click on that first Keyframe and choose Ease-Out, then go to that last Frame Keyframe, Rt-click and choose Ease-In. Hit Enter, to Render the Timeline, and then play back. You might decide that you will want to hit the 0 Blur point a bit sooner than the last Frame of the still Clip, and if so, just Click-drag on that Keyframe to move it to the left. Render again, if necessary. Note: one can limit the area of the Timeline that is Rendered, with the WAB (Work Area Bar).

Lot of lessons in this answer, but they should not go to waste, as they will come in so handy later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - this is but one treatment, and there is an unlimited number of others, plus variations on this one too. Plus, there are different ways to do most things in PrE, and as one learns, they might like one workflow, over another.

PPS - I like to start almost all Timelines off with about 02 sec.of Black Video (from the New icon at the bottom of the Project Panel), and then do my Dip-to-Black from that into a Title, or a Video Clip. You could do the same, so that your Dip-to-Black into the still Clip will not even begin for 02 sec.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: need some help new to boards
                    Rdeweil Level 1

Wow bill,lol you are the man! this is going to take some time.lol thank god

im off tomorrow. but i have to say this is so much fun. thank you sooooo

much.

Thank You,

Ralph Deweil

www.christmasonmanhattan.com

www.premierdj.com

• 7. Re: need some help new to boards
                      Rdeweil Level 1

hey bill, as wondering if you could be as nice to put all those details into steps for me. like 1 - 50 lol. ive now read your last post to me like 4 times, and it might just be my blood shot eyes at this point but each time i read it. im getting more dizzy. lol I really hope you dont mind. I think my middle name should be, Dip-fade! lol

again,

Thnak you!

Ralph

• 8. Re: need some help new to boards
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome. Most of us love it, when the questions are not about installing, or crashes, but how to do something with the program.

Another treatment, that might be interesting, would be to do about the same thing, but instead of Blur, start the still Clip off with the B/W Effect, and then slowly animate that to the full-color. I think that the B/W Effect in PrE can be Keyframed - many can, but some cannot.

I did a tutorial, with about the reverse of that treatment, to create an "abstract background" for handling slides in a SlideShow. It's on Muvipix, so just imagine going from my end image TO the beginning.

Just so many ways to handle filling up that space on the Video Track.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: need some help new to boards
                          Ted Smith Level 3

I sometimes have the situation where the sound starts before the video I want to show.

This can be due to the start of a clip being out of focus or excessive movement of the camera when I press the record button.

I disguise the faulty video with a Title or maybe a freeze frame or wide shot from a later part of the clip.

I put the title or freeze frame on the track above the video and simply quickly fade it out just at the point where the usable video exists.

The sound then starts while the title is still showing.

You often see this in news telecasts where the camerman has not been able to frame up the picture in time before the sound action starts.

• 10. Re: need some help new to boards
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the use of the L-Cut and J-Cut can be very effective. Normally, people think of them with just Video, but there are other visuals, that can effectively work too. This ARTICLE discusses them in more detail.

A recent poster, with a problem with logos on some stock footage, posted their finished piece. There was a very effective J-Cut in it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: need some help new to boards
                              Rdeweil Level 1

Morning Bill, and everyone. how do i just cut the

video and not the audio. im playing around with the stuff we talked about yesterday and the gap ctrl-k creates in the audio i cant figure out how to fix the gap. if i drag either end of the audio it slows down the song. and then they dont match any more.

• 12. Re: need some help new to boards
                                Rdeweil Level 1

hey Ted thanks, let me make sure i have this right, i can but a effect in a different video line just were i need it?

• 13. Re: need some help new to boards
                                  Rdeweil Level 1

bill, got a problem. during editing, this pop up came up and

said system running low on internal memory. save your work. i did that and then program shut it self down. whats that about

• 14. Re: need some help new to boards
                                    nealeh Level 5

Right-click the clip and select "Unlink Audio and Video". Now, after selecting the video clip, changes you make will only affect the video. You also need to determine, when you delete elements of the video track, if you want the gap closed or not. If you do then again right-click the track and select "Delete and Close Gap".

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: need some help new to boards
                                      nealeh Level 5

Low system memory and shut down usually happens when there are inadequate resources. You must perform some basic tasks and tell us more about your PC (see the Got a Problem link below) and your video clips.

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
                                      • Run Disk Cleanup.
                                      • Run Defragmenter.
                                      • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clip and hardware:

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale

• 16. Re: need some help new to boards
                                        Rdeweil Level 1

Nealeh, thanks so much, im looking but i dont see the

unlink audio and video when right clicking on the clip i want to work on. its just not in the box im looking at. could it be a feature i dont get in the trail ver?

• 17. Re: need some help new to boards
                                          nealeh Level 5

Make sure you are right-clicking on the clip in the timeline. NOT in the monitor window. It is not a trial limitation.

1.png

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale

• 18. Re: need some help new to boards
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale has covered one way to unlink the Audio from the Video, and I like another. One can Alt+Click on either, to separate the two, when the source file is muxed, i.e. multiplexed - one Audio stream and one Video stream in one AV file.

If I wish to Cut only the Video, I will Alt+Click on that stream in the Video Track. This temporarily unlinks the two streams. I will then use the Razor/Scissors Tool to make the Cut in Video. If I am removing a section, I will then make the second Cut. Then, I can Rt-click on that section, and Clear, or press the Delete key. In this case, where we have Audio spanning that section, that has not been Cut, the Delete and Close Gaps will not close any gaps, as the Audio, that spans that section, was not Cut too. This works just as well, if we wanted to Cut out a section of the Audio, leaving the Video untouched - we'd just Atl+click on the Audio stream, and repeat the steps above.

I like the Alt+click method, as it is temporary, and when one clicks away, the Audio and Video are linked again, and will act like one solid Clip w/ both the Audio & Video.

With many (most?) operations in PrE, there are several ways to accomplish the same thing, and the choice will usually depend on how an editor likes to work. Some prefer keystrokes, while some prefer mouse clicks, and some (like me) prefer a combo of the two.

Also, one should be aware that the original AV file has not been altered in any way. What we have done is to add instructions on how to process the data from that original AV file, when we go to Export/Share. What that means, in the above case, is that the Cuts are meaningless, until we Clear/Delete that section. One could do a 100 Cuts, and you'd never see them in the Exported/Shared output file, unless we did something like the Clear/Delete. Also, as what we have on the Timeline is but a representative of the source AV file, and it's linked to that original file in the PREL (Project) file, the Frames are still available to us. If we followed the steps above, and decided that we Cut too much out, we could Click-drag on the Tail of the preceding sub-Clip (Click-drag to the right), and the removed Frames would appear, as if my magic. Same if we Click-dragged (left) on the Head of the following sub-Clip - the Frames come back.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 19. Re: need some help new to boards
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

System resources are a combo of RAM and Windows Virtual Memory. NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs demand a lot of resources. Before I begin an editing session, I use the tips in this ARTICLE to set the computer up for the session. If one has Win7, be sure to see the link to Black Viper's Win7 Tune Up Tips. There are links to other articles, and one should be sure to see the one on Windows Virtual Memory, down-thread.

Even with a new, and stout computer, there can be many programs and processes running at boot-up, that steal resources. This is especially true if one bought the computer pre-built - it will be loaded with tons of bloatware, most of which is unnecessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are a lot of great articles on tuning up one's computer, in the FAQ sub-forum, at the right of the main forum screen.

• 20. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                Rdeweil Level 1

my tool bar does not have that on it. what am i doing wrong, i did as you explained.pre snapshot.jpg

• 21. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Rdweil,

Unfortunately, I cannot read your drop-down menu well enough to see what is there, and what is not.

Are you Rt-clicking on the Clip on the Timeline?

What happens, when you Alt+click on whichever of the streams that you wish to edit independently? Does that JUST Select that one stream?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                    Rdeweil Level 1

hey bill now im starting to feel bad. im sorry. when i r click on any clip i

do not have anything that says. unlink video. that doesnt come up. anyway i

bought the program and finshed my first one. its not perfect but for a first

try im excited. id like to be able to show you. how can i do that.

Thank You,

Ralph Deweil

www.premierdj.com

• 23. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                      nealeh Level 5

As Bill has commented your screen shot isn't legible enough. But it doesn't look to me as though you have selected a clips on the timeline. You must click on the clip first. If you look at my image above you can see the timeline underneath the options pane. The leftmost clip (the selected one)  is brighter than the right-most one.

Cheers,
                                                      --
                                                      Neale

• 24. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                        Rdeweil Level 1

Good Morning Neale, I hope all is well. OK I GOT IT!..... lol it took a

little, but i got it now, i kept clicking on the video clip, once i clicked

the audio clip the unlink option came up.

Thank You,

Ralph Deweil

www.premierdj.com

• 25. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                          nealeh Level 5

You're welcome. Glad to hear you got it working - it can be so frustrating when you think you are doing something right but then cannot see the choices you're being advised to pick.

Cheers,
                                                          --
                                                          Neale

• 26. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                            Rdeweil Level 1

oh god i see that. so much to figure out and learn. could you teach me how

to edit the duration of a video transition. thats my next problem. mine are

happening to fast.

Thank You,

Ralph Deweil

www.premierdj.com

• 27. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                              nealeh Level 5

I strongly urge you to visit the muvipix website where there are many free tutorials and other resources including the editing of clips.

[EDIT] Actually Steve Grisetti (one of the muvipix founders) has a link in the FAQ, Premiere Elements Basic Training. The first item provides links to the the four free tutorials.

Cheers,
                                                              --
                                                              Neale

Added [EDIT] section

• 28. Re: need some help new to boards
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

The recommended Basic Training Series is a great place to start.

With Transitions, like most things in PrE, there are several ways to accomplish the same thing.

First, if your feeling is that the Transitions are too short by default, just go to Edit>Preferences>General and change the Duration of Transitions to be longer. This will then affect the Duration of all future Transitions.

If you already have the Transitions in place, but wish to alter the Duration, just Click and drag on the Head, or Tail of the Transition. This can be a bit of a "pixel-hunt," as with the default zoom of the view of the Timeline, the Transitions are rather small. I like to expand the horizontal zoom level (the slider above the Timeline), and also the vertical zoom, which is done in the Track's Header, at the junction of the Tracks. Hover the cursor over the junction of the Tracks, until it turns into two parallel lines with up and down arrows (again, can be a pixel-hunt with a high-rez computer monitor).

Good luck,

Hunt