15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 8:04 AM by the_wine_snob

PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X

Katia Enbuske

Maybe I have wrong system settings in the editing program, because every time I make the smallest change, eg. add text, the PE9 crashes. I have to render the work area after each text addition and sometimes the program crashes 5 or more times before it finishes rendering. I'm spending more time restarting the program than actually editing and we're not talking about anything fancy, special effects, layers or such, but just adding a little title here and there... :-(

Could you please help, this is driving me mad and my editing is not proceding anywhere...

The computer I'm working with is:

MacBookPro6,2

Prosessor: Intel Core i5

Prosessor speed: 2,53 GHz

Memory: 4 Gt

The material I'm editing has been recorded with a Full HD-videocamera Canon Legria HFS200 1920 x 1080, but with SD quality.

The project setting I have at the moment are HDV 1080i. Something must be off because the Mac Book Pro should have enough power to run the PE9-program.

I'm so grateful, if someone here can help me with this!

Katia

• 1. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is a repository for, well Tips & Tricks. Maybe our MOD, Steve Grisetti,will move this out to the main forum, so that more will see it, and can comment.

Now, I am anything BUT a Mac expert, having been on PC's, since they were first introduced, so there could well be Mac-specific issues, that I would miss.

As for the red line appearing above a Clip (indicating that Rendering is needed for the smoothest playback), any time one changes a Title, for instance, they will get the red line. Same when they change a Transition, or even move an overlay, say a PiP (Picture in Picture), even a few Frames. That is normal. Note: though there is a red line above a Clip, or Clips, if the source footage matches the Project Preset 100%, one probably will have very good playback, and Rendering might well not be necessary. I complete entire Projects, without Rendering, as playback is smooth enough for me to judge things. In other cases, when doing Keyframe animations, I might need to Render a portion of the Timeline dozens of times. I all just depends.

Now, to address your crashes, can you take a look at this ARTICLE, and give us all the possible info on your Mac, your source footage and your Project Preset, it should help people troubleshoot the crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Our MOD, Steve, also uses PrE on his iMac, so will be a good person to have comment on your issues, in case something IS Mac-specific.

• 2. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
            Katia Enbuske Level 1

Thanks!

I noticed I should copy my question to another area.

As for rendering, I'm aware how necessary that is for smooth playback. When I edited the clips I didn't need to render at all, but as soon as I started adding titles and transitions PE9 starts crashing all the time. The same thing happened while editing the previous video, too.

Katia

• 3. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Katia, the reason you need to render all of the time is because you are using the wrong project settings.

You do not have an HDV camcorder. You have an AVCHD camcorder that shoots in a variety of modes.

You should shoot your video only in MXP or FXP mode and then using a Premiere Elements project using the AVCHD 1920x1080 project settings. (The camcorder also shoots in stereo or 5.1 audio, so you must also make sure you've selected the correct audio preset also.)

If you've selected the correct project settings and you've used Get Media/From AVCHD or Hard Drive Camcorder to download the video from your camcorder to your computer, there should NOT be any red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline until you add effects or transitions to them.

If you are seeing red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline, you are using the wrong project setting.

Using the right project setting is key to using the program effectively and efficiently.

Also note that you are editing on a laptop, which are built for portability not power. You may find that this type of video may be a bit challenging to edit on an i5 processor -- though you shouldn't be getting crashes if your system is well maintained and you have a good 50-100 gigs of free space on your hard drive. (Or are you editing your video on an external drive, which can require other considerations?)

• 4. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                Katia Enbuske Level 1

Hi Steve,

There are no red lines when editing just footage. But as soon as I add a

title or a transition the problems begin.

I've been fighting with this issue now while waiting for help from you guys

and I noticed that if I only render one little area at the time PE doesn't

crash as often...

Thanks a lot for the tips what settings to use in the videocam. I will check

them before shooting more material.

However, the material I'm working with now I can't affect anymore, unless I

can change some settings in the PE project? This is work related stuff, the

material can't be shot again and the DVD is expected to be ready as soon as

possible... So do you have an advice for the problem at hand?

2011/1/19 Steve Grisetti <forums@adobe.com>

Katia, the reason you need to render all of the time is because you are

using the wrong project settings.

>

You do not have an HDV camcorder. You have an AVCHD camcorder that shoots

in a variety of modes.

>

You should shoot your video only in MXP or FXP mode and then using a

Premiere Elements project using the AVCHD 1920x1080 project settings. (The

camcorder also shoots in stereo or 5.1 audio, so you must also make sure

you've selected the correct audio preset also.)

>

If you've selected the correct project settings and you've used Get

Media/From AVCHD or Hard Drive Camcorder to download the video from your

camcorder to your computer, there should NOT be any red lines above your

clips when you add them to your timeline until you add effects or

transitions to them.

>

If you are seeing red lines above your clips when you add them to your

timeline, you are using the wrong project setting.

>

Using the right project setting is key to using the program effectively and

efficiently.

>

• 5. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to change the project settings in Premiere Elements midway through a project. If you're that deep into the project, you may need to finish it with its current settings. Unless someone knows how to hack into a Mac project file and manually change it.

Meantime, are you editing all the video on your laptop hard drive? If so, how much free space is on the drive?

• 6. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                    Katia Enbuske Level 1

Yes, I'm editing on the laptop hard drive and I have 317 Gt free space.

I check videocam settings and the SD-recording mode I've been using uses 7

Mbps, where as the FXP you suggested takes 17 Mbps and the MXP 24 Mbsp. So

wouldn't material shoot on FXP or MXP even heavier than the quality I'm

currently using? Or does it work better with PE settings, even though it's

heavier?

2011/1/19 Steve Grisetti <forums@adobe.com>

Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to change the project settings in

Premiere Elements midway through a project. If you're that deep into the

project, you may need to finish it with its current settings. Unless someone

knows how to hack into a Mac project file and manually change it.

>

Meantime, are you editing all the video on your laptop hard drive? If so,

how much free space is on the drive?

>

• 7. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X

If you mean SP recording mode, that actually shoots in 1440x1080 -- but I don't know if that's true AVCHD or not. You say you're not seeing red lines above your clips, so it may well be that your project settings are matching your source video.

But you also said in your first post that you're constantly needing to render your video.

So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the problem or if I just don't know what's going on.

The challenge with working with these multi-format camcorders is that it's hard to tell when they're shooting in a mode Premiere Elements can edit natively and when they're not.

Sorry I cant' help you more. It might be worth contacting Adobe Tech Support.

• 8. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                        Katia Enbuske Level 1

I need to constantly render the video as soon as I start adding titles and

transitions -and while rendering the PE often crashes.

What also puzzles me is that when the program shuts itself a lot of the

previously rendered work appear unrendered again: often I need to render

EVERYTHING after a crash, even if I only had the latest title or transition

unrendered before the crash...

This all slowns down working tremendously, since I'm doing same work over

and over again. Because if I don't render all the red areas, the program

crashes again for sure..

• 9. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

If I have followed the thread correctly, it sounds like the Clips come into the Timeline, with no red line above them, indicating that Rendering is not required for the smoothest playback. The red lines then appear, with the addition of a Title, a change in the Titles, or the addition of a Transition. This would be normal, as any change to the Video, whether by the addition of an Effect, or any change to an overlay item, such as a Title, would yield a red line. In many cases, the playback of such footage would probably be adequate, without the Rendering. In some, like with Effects, especially if they are Keyframed, then for the smoothest possible playback would probably be necessary.

Maybe I just missed something along the way, but think that the appearance of the red lines is due to changes in Assets like Titles - and that is normal.

Please correct me, if I am wrong,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X

I think you're right, Bill.

But Katia really shouldn't be getting crashes every time she adds titles!

• 11. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree. With a PC, the most common connection with Titler crashes is font issues. As the Mac normally has a smaller set of fonts (not fewer fonts, just fewer types), I wonder if it's a font issue, or something else entirely. Still, I'd eliminate a bad, corrupt or poorly formed font on the system, and if that did not help matters, would look elsewhere. If her Mac has a font manager, I would look at removing fonts from being installed (leaving them on the system), and examining the workability of Titler. As I have Extensis Suitcase on my PC's, that is how I survey my fonts for problems. If I get a Titler crash, I can uninstall half of my fonts easily, and test. If that fixes things, I can put fonts back, incrementally, until I narrow down the bad font. If that does not fix things, I can then remove one half of that existing half, and test, repeating, as is necessary. Now, I have no problem fonts, and have not for years. Each new font gets run through a font repair and testing utility, before it gets installed in the system, so I know that with but few exceptions, all of my fonts (about 13K on the workstation, but with only about 300 installed at any one time) are good, and will not crash Titler. Matter of fact, I have never had Titler in either PrE, or PrPro crash.

Just thinking about those Titler crashes.

One other thought is that since Titler is actually a sub-program, within and launched from within PrE, it could be possible that the joint use of PrE and Titler is pushing an underpowered system over the edge?

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                                Katia Enbuske Level 1

Yes, it's normal to get red lines with new additions, but I don't think it's

normal that the PE crashes every time they appear. Whether while rendering

or if I try to continue without rendering PE will soon crash also for not

rendering.. So it's a lose-lose situation.

I will make some tests before next bigger editing project and try shooting

footage with the qualities Steve suggested and see what happens.

Thanks for help guys!

• 13. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct. Most feel that PrE 9 is a very stable program. Steve has been running it on an iMac with few problems (or at least few that he'd share with us).

The red lines appearing should NOT case a crash.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                                    Katia Enbuske Level 1

Hi guys,

Just to inform you I solved my problem of yesterday by saving the video as QuickTime on my hard drive and then bringing it back to PE9 with Get Media, dragged the whole 32 minute clip on Timeline, set the Menu Markers and turned into a DVD.

The resolution is not as high quality, but at least I got the video done. I managed to do the conversion even though the Timeline was full of red. But for next time, I will need to check to correlation of recording mode vs editing mode carefully before starting a new project..

• 15. Re: PE9 crashes all the time while editing on Mac OS X
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and thank you for both reporting your success and your workflow.

Good luck,

Hunt