15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 12:36 PM by Ned Murphy

Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie

Cuwen_26

Hey everyone.  My boss made a quiz for the Flash movie I'm doing, using the Articulate Quizmaker software, and he saved it as a swf file.  It plays great in Flash Player and through Flash.  Now, I'm trying to use my main Flash file to call the quiz swf file and play it at the end of my movie.  The main Flash file is set up as a swf array, calling the different swf files I want it to play in order.  I want that quiz swf file to play at the end.

However, when I do that and I publish the file, I just get a blank screen when it tries to load the quiz swf file and a bunch of code in Flash that pops up.  What's going on?  How can I load the quiz swf file into my Flash movie?  Anybody know?  Help would be much appreciated!  Thank you!

• 1. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the bunch of code that pops up?

• 2. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
            Cuwen_26 Level 1

QUIZMAKER> QuizMaker Version = ASSESSMENT_ENGINE/5.01.021 b
            QUIZMAKER> Current slide # is:
            >>>>>>>> xmlfile=
            freestanding testing operation
            QUIZMAKER> DATA AssessmentObjectNode.primaryfile = quizmaker.xml
            QUIZMAKER> DATA AssessmentObjectNode.secondaryfile =
            QUIZMAKER> DATA dp=
            QUIZMAKER> DATA Articulate.getCurrentSlide()=
            QUIZMAKER> DATA AssessmentObject.settings.datapath=qti/
            xml load failed
            Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/quizmaker.xml'

• 3. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie

That error line at the end is probably reporting the issue.  You may have a path problem in the quiz file loading an xml file.  Chances are if you check the path in that error statement you'll find it is not targeting where the xml file actually lives.

When you load a secondary file into a main file, the main file dictates the reference basis for the loading of files.  Is the quiz file in a different folder than the main file?  Is the xml file in a similarly relative folder?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
                Cuwen_26 Level 1

That was a good idea!  I moved the file and the images folder inside of the xml folder into the same folder the swf file was in.  However, I'm still getting this error:

>>>>>>>> xmlfile=
                QUIZMAKER> DATA dp=
                xml load failed
                Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/quizmaker.xml'

I don't even know why it's still looking for the quizmaker.xml file in the qti folder since I moved it.  Would that be an issue with the quizmaker file or still Flash?

• 5. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie

Did you move the xml file where the code appears to be looking for it?  Try that if not.

• 6. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
                    Cuwen_26 Level 1

That's where it was looking for to begin with, in the qi folder.  I moved it out of there and into the folder all of my swfs are in, including the quiz swf file.  What I don't understand is that it's not even looking in the 'StandFiles' like I told it to.  It just has that it's looking for it in "EZSmartStand".  None of the other swfs are having problems loading from the "StandFiles" location.

I got more of the quiz showing up, but the rest of it isn't.  I'm going to try and move all of the quiz file to the same area... even though that's not where I told it to go looking for the swf file at.  It's just where the caller file is located.

• 7. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
                      Cuwen_26 Level 1

Wow...  I moved all of the original files to the quizmaker into the folder I put the xml file in.  This is what I'm getting now:

>>>>>>>> xmlfile=
                      QUIZMAKER> DATA dp=
                      xml loaded
                      QUIZMAKER> Assessment Title = [EZ Way Smart Stand® Proper Operation]
                      QUIZMAKER> AssessmentObject.totalQuestions=10
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 0: instructionsButton=Continue
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 1: questionPrefix=Question
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 2: questionPrefixOf=of
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 3: questionSubmitButton=Submit
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 4: questionImageZoomText=Zoom
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 5: feedbackButtonOk=Next Question
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 6: feedbackButtonTryAgain=Try Again
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 7: feedbackButtonFinish=Finish
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 8: feedbackWindowTitle=Feedback
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 9: statusbarPointValueLabel=Point Value
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 10: statusbarScoreLabel=Score so far:
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 11: statusbarScoreOutOf=points out of
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 12: summaryTitle=Quiz Results
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 13: summaryButtonBye=Finish
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 14: summaryReviewQuizButton=Review Quiz
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 15: summaryReviewPrevious=Previous
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 16: summaryReviewNext=Next
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 17: summaryReviewCorrectResponse=Correct Response
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 18: summaryReviewRightText=Correct
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 19: summaryReviewWrongText=Incorrect
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 20: summaryReviewMode=(Quiz Review)
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 21: summaryPoints=points
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 22: summaryYourScore=Your Score
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 23: summaryPassingScore=Passing Score
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 24: summaryResult=Result
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 25: summaryButtonEmail=Email Results
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 26: errorNothingSelected=NOTIFICATION:

An answer was not selected. Close this window and try again.
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 27: dropdownSelectText=---Select---
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 28: summarySurveyTitle=Survey Complete
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 29: summarySurveyReviewQuizButton=Review Survey
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 30: summarySurveyResult=Thank you
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 31: summaryButtonPrint=Print
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 32: questionSubmitAllButton=Submit All
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 33: summarySurveyResult=Thank you
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 34: summarySurveyTitle=Survey Complete
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 35: summarySurveyReviewQuizButton=Review Survey
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 36: statusbarSurveyQuestionLabel=Survey Question
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 37: errorNothingSelectedTitle=Alert
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 38: questionImageZoomWndTitle=Zoom Image
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 39: dialogQuestionYes=Yes
                      QUIZMAKER> strings: 40: dialogQuestionNo=No
                      QUIZMAKER> SOUND: qti/../sounds/snd_results.mp3
                      *** Security Sandbox Violation ***
                      Connection to file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/qti/../sounds/snd_answer_roll.mp3 halted - not permitted from file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/assessment.swf
                      Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/../sounds/snd_answer_roll.mp3'
                      Connection to file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/qti/../sounds/snd_answer_select.mp3 halted - not permitted from file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/assessment.swf
                      Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/../sounds/snd_answer_select.mp3'
                      Connection to file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/qti/../sounds/snd_answer_submit.mp3 halted - not permitted from file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/assessment.swf
                      Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/../sounds/snd_answer_submit.mp3'
                      Connection to file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/qti/../sounds/snd_win_open.mp3 halted - not permitted from file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/assessment.swf
                      Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/../sounds/snd_win_open.mp3'
                      Connection to file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/qti/../sounds/snd_win_close.mp3 halted - not permitted from file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/assessment.swf
                      Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/../sounds/snd_win_close.mp3'
                      Connection to file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/qti/../sounds/snd_question.mp3 halted - not permitted from file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/assessment.swf
                      Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/../sounds/snd_question.mp3'
                      Connection to file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/qti/../sounds/snd_results.mp3 halted - not permitted from file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmart Stand/assessment.swf
                      Error opening URL 'file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/trevor/Desktop/EZWay%20Instructional%20Videos%202011/EZSmar tStand/qti/../sounds/snd_results.mp3'
                      QUIZMAKER> LMSProtocol: protocol=, version=
                      QUIZMAKER> LMSCompletion: pass=passed, fail=failed
                      QUIZMAKER> hex=0xaaddff,    r,g,b=170,221,255
                      QUIZMAKER> Question revised totals: was 10, now total is 10
                      QUIZMAKER> new totalQuestions=10
                      QUIZMAKER> new list of questions:
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[0] --> index 0
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[1] --> index 1
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[2] --> index 2
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[3] --> index 3
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[4] --> index 4
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[5] --> index 5
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[6] --> index 6
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[7] --> index 7
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[8] --> index 8
                      QUIZMAKER> slot[9] --> index 9
                      QUIZMAKER> INSTRUCTIONS: text=[The following questions are intended to grade your understanding of the proper operation of the EZ Way Smart Stand®.]  image=[](0x0)

• 8. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie

What is the normal relationship of the quiz file and its xml file in terms of location when it is tested alone and works?  What is the relationship between the main file and the quiz file in terms of location?

What version of actionscript is your main file using?  What about the quiz?

• 9. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
                          Cuwen_26 Level 1

When I test the file by itself, it works fine.  The swf file is in with a few html files and the xml file is in the qti folder and the audio is in its own folder, too.  So the quiz would have to call the information in those folders to use them.  But if I just keep all the files the way they are, they work fine.  So I moved everything back over to the folder my swf caller file is in just as it appeared on the disk my boss gave me.  Doesn't work.  It makes me think something's wrong with the file calling the quiz file or something.  I could try a new file and just put it on the desktop and try to call it there.

I'm using AS 2 in Flash and no idea for the quizmaker since my boss did that using Articulate Quizmaker.

• 10. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
                            Cuwen_26 Level 1

Okay. Tried it on the desktop and still got the same error message as the most recent one I posted on here.

• 11. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie

If you can put the quiz file in the same folder as the main file and get it working, then you should be able to load the quiz into the main file and have it work.

If the quiz file happens to be an AS3 file, you're outta luck.

• 12. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
                                Cuwen_26 Level 1

Hmm.. The quiz might be AS3 after all.  I created an AS3 file in Flash and used AS2 to call the swf to it using LoadMovieNum.  I know, code doesn't work for AS3, but it's all I know.  Well, I didn't get any of that other error.  I only got two messages that seem code related, to the code I put in.

1180: Call to a possibly undefined method loadMovieNum.

• 13. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie

You cannot use AS2 code in an AS3 file

• 14. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie
                                    Cuwen_26 Level 1

Yeah, I know.  That's why I was going to look for AS3 on how to load a swf file in.  However, I got responses on the same question I

put in the Articulate forums.  One of the customer service reps said that as of right now, the swf that is produced from Articulate Quizmaker cannot be loaded into a Flash movie because the swf has to access so many other files for the quiz to work.  So, now I'm simply looking for a way to push a button I've made and have it load the HTML file for the quiz into a browser window.  I don't think there's a way I can do that, but I started another thread on here for that question.  Thank you for your help!!!

• 15. Re: Loading Articulate Quiz Swf File into Flash Movie

You should be able to.  Itsounds like you just need to link an html file to open in a new window, which is fairly basic.