18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2008 12:02 PM by johnd59898678

Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them

MiamiRon
      I tried the trial version of FW9 and liked it enough to purchase an upgrade online. I received the new serial number and began the registration process. It took the new number, but wouldn't take the serial number from my FW MX2004 install (found in the "About Fireworks" dialog).

So I called tech support, which obviously is happening overseas. The agent, while pleasant enough, was obviously not skilled in PR. All she kept telling me was that my serial number wasn't on the list. What does that mean?
      After about 37 minutes I asked to get a refund if it wasn't going to work. She told me I'd have to call back to another department, etc. etc. After burning over 30 minutes of my time trying to spend money with Adobe it really rubbed me the wrong way that now I was going to have to endure yet another phone menu in another dept. just to get a refund for a product I want, am eligible to purchase, but cannot get.

I asked to speak to her supervisior and she put me on hold. After being on hold for another 15 MINUTES I finally hung up, figuring she was fearful that I was going to say something about her perfectly adequate handling of the situation.

So then I called the sales office and they told me because I had a "studio" license that I couldn't upgrade. How *******' ridiculous is that? So then I had to call up billing anyway, explain the whole thing to them and then fill in and fax a form saying I wouldn't use the registration number I had purchased (which I couldn't use anyway).

What kind of customer service is that? No one offered any type of resolution, no one offered to find a way to let me spend money with Adobe to buy the product. Ridiculous! I'm really disappointed. I've been using FW for the last 5 yrs and now l may need to look for another solution.

Shame on you Adobe- let customers upgrade when they rightly deserve to do so.
        • 1. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
          Level 7
          I upgraded from the MM Studio 8 package to Adobe CSV web premium without any
          problem. I'm in the UK, I know there are some licensing differences but
          wouldn't have thought it would affect this. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Peter
          | online. I received the new serial number and began the registration
          process. It
          | took the new number, but wouldn't take the serial number from my FW MX2004
          | install (found in the "About Fireworks" dialog).
          |
          | So I called tech support, which obviously is happening overseas. The
          agent,
          | while pleasant enough, was obviously not skilled in PR. All she kept
          telling me
          | was that my serial number wasn't on the list. What does that mean?
          | After about 37 minutes I asked to get a refund if it wasn't going to work.
          She
          | told me I'd have to call back to another department, etc. etc. After
          burning
          | over 30 minutes of my time trying to spend money with Adobe it really
          rubbed me
          | the wrong way that now I was going to have to endure yet another phone
          menu in
          | another dept. just to get a refund for a product I want, am eligible to
          | purchase, but cannot get.
          |
          | I asked to speak to her supervisior and she put me on hold. After being on
          | hold for another 15 MINUTES I finally hung up, figuring she was fearful
          that I
          | was going to say something about her perfectly adequate handling of the
          | situation.
          |
          | So then I called the sales office and they told me because I had a
          "studio"
          | license that I couldn't upgrade. How *******' ridiculous is that? So then
          I had
          | to call up billing anyway, explain the whole thing to them and then fill
          in and
          | fax a form saying I wouldn't use the registration number I had purchased
          (which
          | I couldn't use anyway).
          |
          | What kind of customer service is that? No one offered any type of
          resolution,
          | no one offered to find a way to let me spend money with Adobe to buy the
          | product. Ridiculous! I'm really disappointed. I've been using FW for the
          last 5
          | yrs and now l may need to look for another solution.
          |
          | Shame on you Adobe- let customers upgrade when they rightly deserve to do
          so.
          |

• 2. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
            Level 7
            CS3 not CSV (bloody spell checker)

"PJR" <flash@SLICEreclusivebillionaire.com> wrote in message
            news:f6tthf$euc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            |I upgraded from the MM Studio 8 package to Adobe CSV web premium without
            any
            | problem. I'm in the UK, I know there are some licensing differences but
            | wouldn't have thought it would affect this. Perhaps I'm wrong.
            |
            | Peter
            | ______________________
            | "MiamiRon" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            | news:f6trn0$cpp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            ||I tried the trial version of FW9 and liked it enough to purchase an
            upgrade
            || online. I received the new serial number and began the registration
            | process. It
            || took the new number, but wouldn't take the serial number from my FW
            MX2004
            || install (found in the "About Fireworks" dialog).
            ||
            || So I called tech support, which obviously is happening overseas. The
            | agent,
            || while pleasant enough, was obviously not skilled in PR. All she kept
            | telling me
            || was that my serial number wasn't on the list. What does that mean?
            || After about 37 minutes I asked to get a refund if it wasn't going to
            work.
            | She
            || told me I'd have to call back to another department, etc. etc. After
            | burning
            || over 30 minutes of my time trying to spend money with Adobe it really
            | rubbed me
            || the wrong way that now I was going to have to endure yet another phone
            | menu in
            || another dept. just to get a refund for a product I want, am eligible to
            || purchase, but cannot get.
            ||
            || I asked to speak to her supervisior and she put me on hold. After being
            on
            || hold for another 15 MINUTES I finally hung up, figuring she was fearful
            | that I
            || was going to say something about her perfectly adequate handling of the
            || situation.
            ||
            || So then I called the sales office and they told me because I had a
            | "studio"
            || license that I couldn't upgrade. How *******' ridiculous is that? So then
            | I had
            || to call up billing anyway, explain the whole thing to them and then fill
            | in and
            || fax a form saying I wouldn't use the registration number I had purchased
            | (which
            || I couldn't use anyway).
            ||
            || What kind of customer service is that? No one offered any type of
            | resolution,
            || no one offered to find a way to let me spend money with Adobe to buy the
            || product. Ridiculous! I'm really disappointed. I've been using FW for the
            | last 5
            || yrs and now l may need to look for another solution.
            ||
            || Shame on you Adobe- let customers upgrade when they rightly deserve to do
            | so.
            ||
            |
            |

• 3. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
              Level 7
              MiamiRon wrote:
              > I tried the trial version of FW9 and liked it enough to purchase an upgrade
              > online. I received the new serial number and began the registration process. It
              > took the new number, but wouldn't take the serial number from my FW MX2004
              > install (found in the "About Fireworks" dialog).
              >
              > So I called tech support, which obviously is happening overseas. The agent,
              > while pleasant enough, was obviously not skilled in PR. All she kept telling me
              > was that my serial number wasn't on the list. What does that mean?
              > After about 37 minutes I asked to get a refund if it wasn't going to work. She
              > told me I'd have to call back to another department, etc. etc. After burning
              > over 30 minutes of my time trying to spend money with Adobe it really rubbed me
              > the wrong way that now I was going to have to endure yet another phone menu in
              > another dept. just to get a refund for a product I want, am eligible to
              > purchase, but cannot get.
              >
              > I asked to speak to her supervisior and she put me on hold. After being on
              > hold for another 15 MINUTES I finally hung up, figuring she was fearful that I
              > was going to say something about her perfectly adequate handling of the
              > situation.
              >
              > So then I called the sales office and they told me because I had a "studio"
              > license that I couldn't upgrade. How *******' ridiculous is that? So then I had
              > to call up billing anyway, explain the whole thing to them and then fill in and
              > fax a form saying I wouldn't use the registration number I had purchased (which
              > I couldn't use anyway).
              >
              > What kind of customer service is that? No one offered any type of resolution,
              > no one offered to find a way to let me spend money with Adobe to buy the
              > product. Ridiculous! I'm really disappointed. I've been using FW for the last 5
              > yrs and now l may need to look for another solution.
              >
              > Shame on you Adobe- let customers upgrade when they rightly deserve to do so.
              >
              MiamiRon,
              Are you are trying to upgrade to a stand alone product using a suite
              serial number.

If you look at the 'Upgrade Eligibility' for Fireworks CS3, this is
              what's listed;

UPG from Macromedia Fireworks MX, MX 2004 or 8

It doesn't say Studio MX, Studio MX 2004 or Studio 8. A lot of people
              seem to be getting caught by this. Several seem to have been able to
              eventually work something out.

SKB
              • 4. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                Martijn_Hinfelaar
                I had the same problem.
                Solution: uninstall your trial version first, then re-install your (purchased) copy of FW9

that worked for me.
                • 5. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                  AZEric2112
                  I'm having the same problem (see my post "Fireworks Upgrade Debacle").

I uninstalled the trial using the uninstaller in /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers/, then installed a fresh version using the DMG I paid for yesterday, but didn't have any luck. I still get the message stating:

"We looked in the default location for qualified products but none was found."

In my Applications folder, there's a folder called Macromedia Fireworks MX. Is that not the default location? What is this installer looking for?

BTW, the new install still "remembered" the serial number I entered yesterday, which leads me to believe the uninstaller doesn't completely uninstall the trial.

Thanks,
                  Eric
                  • 6. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                    Joel Stoner
                    I'm in the same Unbelievably Ridiculous Boat. I own both CS2 and Studio MX. It would be pointless to upgrade from the Studio MX, since what I need is an upgrade from the CS2 Design Premium to CS3 Design Premium , which now already includes everything in Studio MX but Fireworks.

I've called Customer Service and after the same blah-blah-blah asked for supervisor. She said one would call back in within five hours. That was yesterday afternoon, still no call. I called again today, and the machine just hung up on me before I could say a thing! So I called Sales, who had the same basic response, but did say that the case had been "escalated", and that someone would be contacting me.

I am going to fight and fuss until I get what is right! I should not have to pay the "NEW" price to upgrade software that I have the previous version for - ESPECIALLY since it was the whole Studio MX package, which costs much more than the standalone!
                    • 7. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                      Joel Stoner Level 1
                      OK! Adobe came thru! A customer service agent called me back yesterday when I wasn't in. She was suposed to call me back at 10am today. Finally at 3pm I called, and the new agent walked me thru a special process that gave me a "challange code" that I gave him, then he gave me a "response code", and that finished the registration! I'm in!

Cool!

For the record, I had upgraded my CS2 to CS3. I also own MacroMedia Studio MX, which contains Fireworks MX. Since I already had this old version of Fireworks, I also bought a new Fireworks CS3 upgrade (standalone), which wouldn't take the reg code from the *Studio*(bundle) version of Fireworks MX (apparently it only works on the stand alone version). After a few calls, Adobe made it work. Thanks Adobe!
                      • 8. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                        Tom_Wallace
                        So was this a triumph of persistence or a change of upgrade policy?
                        • 9. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                          MiamiRon Level 1
                          Neither- I spoke to someone else in sales, explained the whole thing and they wouldn't budge.

• 10. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                            selmanaj
                            I am in the same boat. I own Studio 8 and the new Fireworks upgrade will not install with the studio serial number. I read the upgrade requirements before buying and the program that comes up on my computer IS Fireworks 8, I never considered the possibility that I could'nt upgrade. I wish I would have read this forum before ordering the product. I never would have thought that Adobe would be like this. Before I buy or upgrade a Symantec program I will read the support forums because they ALWAYS seem like they have problems, but never until now have I ever had that thought with Adobe. I have always considered them to be in a league by themselves with their way of doing business and the quality of their product. I DO believe that they did not delibertly mislead anyone, but they didn't think out what they advertised very well at all. To be honest I would not have bought Fireworks at the full price, as I own Photoshop and I am sure that it will be the future for integrated image editing with Dreamweaver, AND, there were really NOT that many new features in Fireworks CS3, but for right now Fireworks and Dreamweaver are like hand in glove and go well together. I am stumped as to why Fireworks was left out of the CS3 bundle, maybe another nod to the future of Photoshop and the demise of fireworks. I will call Adobe in the morning and hopfully not have to sit on hold for as long as some others report, and again hopfully, be able to resolve my issue and be able to run Fireworks. I will report back here after the call.
                            Alan Selmanaj
                            Loyal Adobe User for YEARS!
                            • 11. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                              selmanaj Level 1
                              Just to follow up. I called Adobe this morning and the Customer Support guy could not have been nicer about helping me get the program activated. From reading here I know there were a lot of others who felt they qualified for the upgrade because Fireworks WAS running on their machine even though it was from Studio. It should have been made a little more clear that Studio was not a qualifing product, but Adobe made it right. THIS is the Adobe I have known and grown to love over the years.
                              • 12. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                                johnd59898678 Level 1
                                Congratulations! You were more fortunate than me.

I was in the exact same position. I owned CS2 Premium AND Macromedia Studio 8 and when I went to upgrade to CS3 Design Premium they said I could use ONE or the OTHER to upgrade, so I used CS2 Premium. That left me without an upgrade path to Fireworks CS3 when I already owned the previous version! (Same thing with Contribute!) It is just as though I never purchased the Studio 8 bundle - money to the wind. THIS IS A MASSIVE RIP-OFF. I cannot believe that with all the thousands and thousands of dollars I have spent on Adobe software over the years (something like 60+ products registered), that they would not even consider this upgrade request.

The funny thing is this position is COSTING ADOBE MONEY. My track record shows that once I buy and Adobe product that I purchased EVERY incremental upgrade over the years. Because of this idiotic policy that apparently nobody has the power to override (or maybe they just don't get it at the top - God help us!), people like me have chosen to drop ANY FUTURE UPGRADES for Fireworks (and Contribute) over just a 150 bucks! This is a LOSE-LOSE policy in every respect. If I pulled this with MY clients, my days would be numbered. What is even more amazing is that they do not even TRY to explain the logic in their policy - BECAUSE THERE IS NONE - in fact, the people I am talking to don't even know why. Who gives up thousands of dollars in potential future upgrade revenue, incurs bad customer relations, loss of recommendations to others, etc. just to get another hundred bucks or so in a one-time sting! This is not a matter of money - I spend an average of over $40,000/year individually on Mac hardware and software, but I will be damned if I am going to pay full purchase price AGAIN for software I have already paid retail for and even upgraded before in the past!

I have to say this is the maddest I have ever been at Adobe. I just called the Adobe Store AGAIN today - got the same canned response. I really think the decision-makers at Adobe are clueless on this one - they simply are not looking at this from the customer point of view or flat don't care.
                                • 13. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                                  Level 7
                                  Stockholders want short term profits, not long term. And it's the
                                  stockholders that are listened to, NOT the customers. Brutal but true.

"choreo" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                  news:fnb2vv$7g4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > Congratulations! You were more fortunate than me.

• 14. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                                    johnd59898678 Level 1
                                    Good, then some of them will end up getting what they deserve. Of course, the one's that sell first and jump ship will come out the big winners, but apparently they are the one's driving the policies. Sounds like the Adobe stockholders are in for the short haul (like most stockholders). Boy it is so easy to see why American companies just can't compete anymore.
                                    • 15. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                                      heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                                      Good that some of users were sorted out....

But you have to realize too from product perspective.

From MX Studio (LICENSE) to standalone FW CS3, first off is actually a DOWNGRADE, not an upgrade. This is going from a series of applications (Studio LICENSE) to a solo application (LICENSE). Why would you want to do this? This basically forfeits any eligibility to upgrade to another Studio (LICENSE).

the idea of an upgrade is from:
                                      solo (point application), example Fireworks MX to Fireworks CS3 OR to the next available Suite (Design, Web, Production or Master)

or

from older Studio MX to the latest available Suite.

Just a little perspective...

I bought into the suite when it first became avialable (CS Premium Edition) and never looked back.
                                      h
                                      • 16. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                                        johnd59898678 Level 1
                                        All I can say is that I had the previous full retail versions of ALL the software I needed (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Flash, After Effects, Contribute, Fireworks, etc.). I also had previously purchased both the Studio 8 Bundle AND the Creative Suite Premium Bundle. Adobe offered me no upgrade path for all these products when they changed their bundle selections this last time - something had to go - either InDesign OR Fireworks (and Contribute) had to be repurchased as a standalone product at full retail. I HAD to have InDesign, so I sacrificed Fireworks (and Contribute) - I should not have had to do that. I understand why I had to purchase After Effects CS3 and Flash CS3 upgrades as separate upgrades (and did so), but even then I only had to pay "upgrade" prices on those. I think the only way some people will understand the feeling is if next time when Adobe comes out with CS4, if they create only 3-product bundles and you get to choose one upgrade bundle and ONLY one, but all you other current CS3 products must be purchased from scratch at full retail all over again... may then you will understand?
                                        • 17. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                                          heathrowe Most Valuable Participant
                                          I see your plight, particularly with the 'sacrifice' Fw/Contribute over Indesign. I went through the same decision from CS2 > CS3 weather to go for the Web package but could not sacrifice Indesign, so I continued with the Design Premium and got Fireworks separately.

I think the answer may have been for Production or Master Collection in your case, maybe?

h
                                          • 18. Re: Adobe won't let me upgrade to FW9- shame on them
                                            johnd59898678 Level 1
                                            Yes, we all (those of us that previously owned CS2) were forced to make that Web or Design choice with CS3, but in MY case I already owned Fireworks & Contribute SEPARATELY as part of Studio 8. If Adobe had taken over Macromedia (as they did) and just said "Tough Luck, anyone that owns Macromedia products will have to start over", that would be one thing, but they said I could use Studio 8 as my core product and upgrade to CS3 as well (even I did not own CS2 previously). So, they were willing to give me credit toward Design or Web CS3 from EITHER CS2 or Studio 8, but no credit for having owned BOTH previously (which is just not fair). I was already losing ground even if they had allowed me to use Studio 8 as a foundation for upgrading only two products in that bundle, but I was willing to accept that.

The bottom line AGAIN is that a year ago I owned Full Retail Working Versions of ALL the products I needed and now I don't because they forced me to either drop certain products I had been using OR start all over again by purchasing them separately at retail (which would be the same as ANYONE who had NEVER owned these products previously).

As far as Production or Master Collection, I am not going to pay one or two thousand dollars buying a bunch of products I don't need just to get Fireworks! The real solution would have been for them to offer a Suite Collection of everything in CS3 Design and Web combined for those of us that had ALL those products previously, but they didn't.

Like I say, it would just like thay announce CS4, but that it no longer includes InDesign period - YOU MUST PURCHASE THAT SEPARATELY AT RETAIL if you want to continue with that product. how would you feel?

I don't really think this has anything to to with stockholders or profits (because they have made LESS money as a result of this policy from the threads I have been reading). Not to mention the fact that when this all came up, I KNOW that it tied up over 2-hours of phone conversations with Customer Service trying to get this rectified - and they have to pay those people something? The truth is that they will waste any amount of money to keep from giving me what should be an earned discount. I am not asking for anything FREE, just a legitimate paid upgrade price for something I already own.

To add fuel to the fire, they finally sold me an upgrade to Contribute, charged my card twice and after running the charges told me that I had been issued a "temporary" activation number and that I would not be able to install it on another machine or upgrade it in the future - WTF?

Oh, and BTW, this little $150 incident has already cost them way over $10,000 just in my case - so not real bright... and it will keep costing them more as time goes on unresolved. This is not poor customer relations, it is just plain customer abuse! Whoever made this policy at Adobe, should be fired, not for anything other than plain stupidity. Whatever, Adobe's profits were last year, changing this policy would have only added to their bottom line.