12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2011 3:58 AM by Rob Velds

Import photos from PS Organizer

Rob Velds Level 1

Hello,

I often make "films" from photos. I make an album in the organizer and than copy the fotos then to PRE.

And there it goes wrong.

I can select them all in the organizer en choose for copy to Premiere, but then al my photos get the standard transmission as defined in PRE.

I can also drag the photos to the project bin by hand, at least than I have no transmissions.

But in both cases, the sequence I carefully created in my album is gone. And I have to sort them all over again.

Is a smart workaround available to avoid this double work?

Thanks

Rob

• 1. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say "transmissions" do you mean "transitions"?

If so, try using the Slideshow tool under the Organizer's Create tab. Once you assemble the slideshow (with transitions) you can select the Output option Send to Premiere Elements.

And don't forget to ensure your photos are all sized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels so that they don't overload Premiere Elements!

• 2. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
            Rob Velds Level 1

Sorry for the transmissions..........

Usually I make the slideshow in HD (1920x1080), I fear the slideshow tool in PS is not the correct tool for that. In PRE the size is not a problem (only scanned 6x6 negatives have to resized). 60 foto's in a 6 minute slide show no problem al all. (When I cross borders, there is always CS to do the job)

From your answer I understand there is no other option. Pity.....

Rob

• 3. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
              Barb__O Level 4

Rob Velds wrote:

Hello,

I often make "films" from photos. I make an album in the organizer and than copy the fotos then to PRE.

And there it goes wrong.

I can select them all in the organizer en choose for copy to Premiere, but then al my photos get the standard transmission as defined in PRE.

I can also drag the photos to the project bin by hand, at least than I have no transmissions.

But in both cases, the sequence I carefully created in my album is gone. And I have to sort them all over again.

Is a smart workaround available to avoid this double work?

Thanks

Rob

Rob and Steve,

I have a suggestion that I think is worth trying - but I am not sure of the exact command sequence in Premiere Elements.

Steve, please comment.

1 --For the question of the sequence of the photos within the Premiere Elements project :

-- My suggestion uses the Organizer File > Export command to create an extra copy of each photo file where the extra copies are given a file name such that the Windows sort sequence of the file names maintains the sequence you designated within the PSE Album.

-- Then you use these copies (which you saved in a separate folder of your choice) as the input to your Premiere Elements project.

2 -For not having any transition between the photos that you are adding to the Premiere Elements project:

I am not sure.

Personally, I would allow a default transition (a default of my choice which was designed before I added the photos to the PE project) to be assigned between each photo and then modify the transitions between some of the photos.

Hopefully someone else on the forum will comment on not having any transition in PE.

3 -- Do you have any portrait orientation photos that you will be using in these slide shows ?

If yes they might need some additional processing before you place them in the PE project. Which version of Photoshop and Premiere Elements are you running ?

Notes:

-- This Export command does optionally have the capability to resize the resolution of photo files if you find a situation in the future where that is required. I understand that for 60 photos to be used in HD output, your PC system may be capable of processing without reducing the photo resolution.  However, there are two considerations:

1 -- in the future there might be a case where it is required.  One example where people have reported needing to reduce resolution is for panorama photos created from multiple individual photo files which have a very large horizontal dimension.

2 -- Some people have observed improved quality of image in the video output if they reduce the resolution of the photo file using Photoshop Elements (or Photoshop) before using that photo in Premiere Elements.   Since you are using HD output, you will still want to leave additional resolution above HD video resolution for use of pan and zoom but consider reducing the resolution of a high megapixel photo file.

-- Yes this Export process can result in extra copies of some photo files. Since I would only have the extra copies for photo files that I actually used in the slide show, I think that is an acceptable alternative.

Additional comment,  (added by subsequent edit)

It is also possible that there is some problem in how the Send to Premiere Elements (from the Organizer) is working.

If you wish to discuss this futher, I suggest that you post which versions of the Elements programs then describe exactly what you had displayed and selected on the Organizer screen and how you specified that SEND command.

• 4. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This are very good ideas, Barb!

• 5. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                  Barb__O Level 4

thanks Steve.

A specific question about Premiere Elements :

Is it possible to add multiple photos (at the same time) to the PE timeline and NOT have any transitions inserted between the photos ?

• 6. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                    rdnelson Level 2

Try the following...

1) Create a new Album in the Organizer.

2) Select the photos you are trying to make into the video.

3) Drag and drop the selection into the Album.

4) Open the Album by clicking on it in.  This should now only display the desired photos in the Organizer.  You will see that each photo is numbered starting with one in the top left.

5) Drag each photo around to sequence it how you would like it to display in the video.

6) Now select all photos (menu Edit/Select All).

7) Right click and select Edit with Premiere Elements.

8) Premiere Elements will now open up and ask you for the project name and settings.  Enter what is asked for.

9) The photos will now exist in PrE in the order you requested them.

You will notice the default transition is applied between all photos.  To change the default transition after media has been added to the timeline do the following...

1) In PrE, click on the Edit tab.

2) Click on Transitions.

3) Click on the desired transition.

4) Right click and select Set Selected as Default Transition

5) Click on the timeline to ensure the context is in this window and not elsewhere (otherwise Select All doesn't work).

6) Click on the menu Edit/Select All.

7) Click on the menu Timeline/Apply Default Transition

Or simply ensure the default transition is what you want it to be before media is transfered from the organizer to PrE.

To ensure no transition is added with the above workflow simly set the preferences General/Video Transition Default Duration setting to 0 prior to moving any media from the Organizer.

NOTE: The default transition length is determined by Preferences/General/Video Transition Default Duration setting.  You are out of luck if you need to change the transition duration on any media which already has transitionsn applied.  New media will take the preferences setting but only the transition type will change  when applying the default transition to the timeline.

• 7. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                      rdnelson Level 2
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Barb__O wrote:

thanks Steve.

A specific question about Premiere Elements :

Is it possible to add multiple photos (at the same time) to the PE timeline and NOT have any transitions inserted between the photos ?

You can add multiple photos at the same time to the PE timeline without any transitions...

• Simply dragging media from the PrE Organize pane to timeline will add the media without any transition.
                      • Setting the preferences General/Video Transition Default Duration value to 0 will also prevent any transitions from being inserted when transfered from the Organzier to PrE
                      • 8. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                        Rob Velds Level 1

Thanks a lot everyone.

I''m going to read your contributions carefully (Enlish is not my native language) and will see if I can use one of it.

So I need some time, but I'll let ypu know.

Premier Elements 9 is only on my laptop, which means that most of the times I use that only in daytime. The export comes from PS version 7

Rob

• 9. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                          Rob Velds Level 1

I could not wait and tried the "Export as" function. Perfect! That's what I wanted. I used the "Common Base Name" function to create new filenames. And they are in the right order!

I save mself exra work by deleting not needed picures in Premiere instead of making a new Album in PSE. Except when it's about a lot of photo's than I create a permanent album named "Highlights nnnnnn".

The transition isuu I wiil try later.

PS to rdnelson, Point 9 is not correct in my opinion. They appear not in the right order. That was the whole issue here

Again thanks for such a lot participation.

Rob

• 10. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                            rdnelson Level 2

Rob Velds wrote:

PS to rdnelson, Point 9 is not correct in my opinion. They appear not in the right order. That was the whole issue here

What version of PrE are you using?  I'm using PrE 9 and it seems to be working -- although I only tried this on 15 photos or so.

• 11. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                              Barb__O Level 4

Rob Velds wrote:

Thanks a lot everyone.

I''m going to read your contributions carefully (Enlish is not my native language) and will see if I can use one of it.

So I need some time, but I'll let ypu know.

Premier Elements 9 is only on my laptop, which means that most of the times I use that only in daytime. The export comes from PS version 7

Rob

Rob and rdnelson,

Rob's post above says the Export came from PS version 7 and that Premiere Elements is version 9.

The difference in the versions of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements might explain why a function like a SEND command or an EDIT command produces different results than when Photoshop and Premiere Elements are the same version number. 

Rob.

-- Adobe recommendeds that Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements have the same version number. However, because you have the PSE Organizer Export command as an alternative, you may be able to do your workflow with Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 9.

• 12. Re: Import photos from PS Organizer
                                Rob Velds Level 1

Finalizing, the following comment.

As new versions of PSE doesnot add so  much functionality for me (organizer) I skip some versions of a new PSE.

So for the time being PSE7 with PRE9.

As the export function works perfect from the organizer, the issue of the transitions are not that important any more. The temporary output (in the projectfolder of PRE of course, because they will be easily deleted after completion of the project) is not linked to the organizer. So to put them in the PRE project is just a matter of simple dragging.

The concern of some people that the load for PRE is too big with HD photo's is not right.

As an exaple in my 15 minutes slideshow of my 2010 cruiseholiday are 160 HD photo's without problem.And they are not scaled, sometimes you want to pan or tilt through the photo's to show everything in the widescreen format.

For those who are interested (www.youtube.com/user/robvelds. Concerning the names: BB means Breedbeeld = Dutch for widescreen)

So for me this issue is finalized, I hope that also other users can benefit from the solutions and recommendations.

Again thanks for the help and till then.......

Rob