16 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2011 8:12 AM by SDdev

Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?

SDdev Level 1

Some of the "skins" for the FLVPlayback component cannot be used as delivered in the Flash Professional CS5 package.

For instance, if you try simply to run the .swf file: MinimaSilverPlayBackSeekCounterVolMuteFull.swf in Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Flash CS5/Common/Configuration/FLVPlayback skins/ActionScript 3.0, you get the following error message:

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class fl.video::UIManager could not be found.

Such a skin cannot be used in a published application (though it will work within the Flash IDE in Test mode).

Not all the skins have this problem. However, at least all of the Minima prefixed ones do. Of course the one I wish to use is broken. Is there a way I can fix this? If I try to publish the corresponding .fla (in FLVPlayback skins/FLA/Action Script 3.0 I get "Warning: unable to load SWC FLVPlaybackAS2.swc".

• 2. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

from that error message it looks like your mixing an as2 skin with an as3 swf.

• 3. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
            SDdev Level 1

These are NOT skins that I have created or modified in any way. They are the unmodified skins that are installed with the product (Adobe Flash CS5). Please see the path names in my original post.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?

i understand that (and that's not relevant to me comments).  ie, again, make sure you're using skin version matches your as version and upload your skin.

here:  www.kglad.com/Files/forums/Untitled-2.html

see any problem with that skin?

• 5. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                SDdev Level 1

It is not apparent to me how to attach a file to this posting, and there was no problem running the link you sent.

However the issue is NOT with the use of these skins. The issue is with the (unaltered) skin (swf) file itself. My example is the file (in the product installation) listed in the original post. No application is required. Simply try running that .swf file (in the standard product installation). No application is required.

Not all of the skin files have this problem. However the one I gave as an example does.

It is not necessary to attempt to re-compile them. The second error message in my original post was what happened when I tried to recompile the corresponding (unmodified) FLA. It would seem like the mixing of AS2 and AS3 is in the shipped skins themselves (or at least those that have the problem I described).

• 6. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?

a skin swf is not a stand-alone app.   i wouldn't expect any of them to do anything useful if you open them in the stand-alone player.

why are you trying to do that?

• 7. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                    SDdev Level 1

I was only trying to figure out why my application (when published, as opposed to running in the IDE's test mode) would get an error when using certain skins and NOT when using other skins.

I didn't expect running the skin "movie" would "do" anything. However as an swf file it should run in the player without an error,. If you try running any of the swf files in the FLVPlayback skin directory (see pathname in original post) most of them run without error (and display the window/playback controls). However some of them generate an error. That should not happen, and those that generate that error will generate an error when used in an application as well.

I don't really know how to be more clear about this. Go to the directory: Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Flash CS5/Common/Configuration/FLVPlayback Skins/ActionScript 3.0

run MinimaUnderPlayBackSeekCounterVolMuteFull.swf --> This generates an error.

run SkinUnderAllNoCaption.swf --> This does not generate an error.

• 8. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?

if you want help with the problem mentioned in your first paragraph, let me know.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                        SDdev Level 1

Well I don't really understand the position you are taking here. Did you try to run the examples I gave?

I will be a sport, though, and back up here and explain more fully.

I had originally built a rather trivial application to experiment with the FLVPlayback component. I did this with AS-3, by the way.

As I tried different skins I found, strangely, that when I used one of the Minima ones (for instance, the one that I listed several times above), that it would run fine in the IDE in test mode, however when I ran the published application it would not run correctly. It generated instead this error message about the fl.video class not being found.

In trying to determine the cause of this, I found that this same error would be generated, just by trying to run the Minima skin (swf) in the Flash player by itself. And sure enough those skins that did NOT have the problem with my trivial app also did not generate any error when the swf was run in the Flash player.

So, as you hopefully can see, I took my application out of the equation here. The question of interest is why do some of the unmodified swf skin files generate the class not found error and can they be fixed (or is there anything I can do to fix them) so that error does not happen. I had even tried to use the original FLA file for the skin (as I described in my earlier post) and recompile it. However that caused a compile error (listed in the original post) that is indicative of some AS2 being mixed in, possibly from some sub-component.

So I guess all I was hoping for was that you would try to run the AS3 Minima...swf skin listed earlier straight from the product installation. Just run it with the Flash player. If it doesn't generate the error for you then perhaps there is something odd about my CS5 installation, or environment, or ...

If you don't want to try this, that is your perogative. Perhaps someone else can/will. Or perhaps I can submit this as a bug? (I do not know the mechanism for that)

I am not trying to be argumentative here. Rather, I have tried to isolate the issue. I don't know how else I can make this clear.

• 10. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                          bobohobb

I tried "MinimaUnderPlayBackSeekCounterVolMuteFull.swf", it gives the same error:

VerifyError: Error #1014: Class fl.video::UIManager could not be found.

(Flash CS5, Flash Player 10)

• 11. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                            SDdev Level 1

Thank you for trying this bobohobb, just so I know there isn't something screwy about my installation.

Since the gate-keeper of this forum deemed my question/issue to be without merit I am not optimistic about getting any useful feedback. It would appear that the skins in question have some AS1/2 mixed in to them (perhaps some movieclip that is included). I tried to compile/publish the skin source code (provided with the product), but it generated an error along those lines. I didn't pursue it any further.

I was hoping that someone would have advice about how to work around that (and/or fix the skin). Of course the workaround I am using is to use a skin other than the one I would like to use. But that kind of sucks.

Nonetheless, thanks for trying. It is more than I got from the forum "master".

• 12. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                              Lexxx_87

UIManager class used in file (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash CS5\Common\Configuration\FLVPlayback Skins\FLA\ActionScript 3.0\fl\video\skin\Counter.as

I got same Error #1014.  But my skin works fine in my fp 10 application. I think maybe FLVPlayback component  in my app  contain UIManager class or somthing like that.

• 13. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                                Aube2020 Level 1

I get the same error messages and it is really frustrating.

My main pull to this skin is that it contains the time elapsed presentation.

If someone has a solution to how these skins can be used, it would be much appreciated.

• 14. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                                  SDdev Level 1

I wish I could tell you that I figured this out. But I "punted" and just used another skin.

I imagine that it is just a minor sloppy error in the preparation of the product package insofar as there is an AS2 movieclip somehow used in the skin. I thought I tried to open a bug report, but I am not confident that I did so successfully. As I recall it wasn't straightrforward to track, so it might be worth a try to do so.

What I found more frustrating is this style of product support wherein no qualified Adobe representative appears to review these forums. Instead there is some self-appointed 3rd party "gatekeeper" who makes the assumption that everyone who posts an issue is an idiot. That is quite a turn-off, particularly with a tool as quirky as Flash.

• 15. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                                    Lexxx_87 Level 1

I found solution here

In your skin fla go to File -> ActionScript Settings. Remove all from "Source path" tab.

And remember to select flash player 10 in publish settings in your skin fla

Now Error #1014 dont appear

• 16. Re: Is there a way to use/fix FLVPlayback skins provided with the product?
                                      SDdev Level 1

Awesome Lexx_87. Thanks for the footwork. I will give that a try when I return to my FLVplayer work (could be a few weeks). I appreciate your sharing this information. I'd not come across this posting when I was looking (or I failed to realize its significance). Either way, thanks.