12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 10:33 AM by the_wine_snob

Question about Croppign

Sandra Rosen Level 1

I have a very simple question, but I am a newcomer to using Premiere. I have .mov files that I have imported into premiere elements 9. The files are 640x480 and when I "share", the clips produced have a black line around the edges. When I share, I am using the quicktime setting, and under "advanced", I notice that the output is set for 640x480, but my source is set for 720x480. How do I correct the source setting to show my original clips are only 640x480?

• 1. Re: Question about Croppign
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sandra,

This would be a very simple question, were you using PrPro, as you would just choose the Desktop Project/Sequence Preset, and then adjust your Frame Size to 640 x 480, to match your source footage. PrE does not yet have the Desktop Preset, with the easy customization of the attributes. Now, PrE 9 has the ability to make a choice of Preset, but I'm not sure that it has added a 640x480 Frame Size. Others can possibly correct that statement.

If you were Exporting/Sharing to FLV, that format has the ability to Crop in Export (at least in PrPro's version), but that is the only format that I can think of, for Cropping in Export.

I'm at a loss as to how best to handle that footage, but maybe others will offer an easy solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Question about Croppign
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of a camcorder is this video coming from?

When you start a Premiere Elements project you must select a project preset that matches your source footage.

Premiere Elements 9 includes a project preset for 640x480 video from DSLRs.

• 3. Re: Question about Croppign
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, thank you Steve for that information. I was unaware that even PrE 9 had a 640 x 480 Preset. Glad that I hedged my bets!

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Question about Croppign
                Sandra Rosen Level 1

Thanks for the input. I know my question is elementary, but how can I 

change the project preset setting? When I open a new project and go to 

Edit > project settings, I don't see how to modify the standard 

720x480 that exists. Can you give me some guidelines?  If it helps, I 

can tell you that the videoclip I am trying to work with is a 

quicktime movie that is already on my desktop. The original footage 

was shot 18 years ago on videotape, then digitized about 15 years ago 

and later processed using Premiere 6.0. I now need to adjust some 

sound on these old movies and because 6.0 no longer works on the newer 

computers, I had to buy 9.0 elements.

• 5. Re: Question about Croppign
                  nealeh Level 5

PRE does not allow you to easily change those format settings. Some people have directly edited the .prel file with mixed success. Those who perhaps have done so much work that they really don't have the time or patience to redo have used a third party commercial clipboard manager - Clipmate.  You can create a new project with the correct settings and use Clipmate to copy and paste from the old to the new.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Question about Croppign
                    DurbsLad

If you haven't actually done any editing yet, or don't mind re-doing what you've done, you could open a new project, and on the dialogue box you will find a Change Settings button below the bar that shows you your current default setting; choose what you want, import your video and you're all set to go.

If your imported video doesn't match the the project settings, the first one you add to the timeline/sceneline should give you a prompt asking if you want to change the project settings to match - at least, that's the behaviour I get.  Accepting results in a suitable adjustment.

• 7. Re: Question about Croppign
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I said, the 640x480 project preset is located in the DSLR preset folder.

That is, if I'm reading it right that your video is 640x480 from a DSLR or still camera.

If not, what kind of camcorder is it coming from?

• 8. Re: Question about Croppign
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

OT here, but what happened to your avatar. When I see the yin/yang, I think that it's VDOSurfer!

Hunt

• 9. Re: Question about Croppign
                          nealeh Level 5

I accidently deleted both when I was uploading a new one. Normal service after Adobe approve the new one.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Image101_edited-3.png

• 10. Re: Question about Croppign
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, if you could just get rid of that dude on the left...

I was beginning to think that my coffee was just not kicking in.

Thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Question about Croppign
                              Sandra Rosen Level 1

Thanks to everyone who responded by my question. I learned from each 

of you. Steve, I did not find the 640x480 preset when I looked before, 

but I found it this time. Problem solved!  I have over 770 clips to 

modify and you just saved me a lot of time having to redo them all.

• 12. Re: Question about Croppign
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news Sandra, and thanks for reporting your success!

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt