19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2011 12:32 PM by SuffolkTV8

CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)

SuffolkTV8

I have a Windows 7 based system with CS5 Production Premium (5.0.3). I have 12 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9800GT vid card, over 80% of free space on D: which is where all of my video files are located (nothing stored on C:). C has over 400 GB of 500 GB drive free. Processor is Intel Xeon, x5560@2.80 GHZ, dual processor.

I recently cleaned my C, reinstalled OS and CS5. I have no anti-virus software, firewall turned off, auto windows updates turned off, all power save functions turned off.

When I try to dub out from timeline in Premiere to playback system, there are random sections where I lose video (goes to black) and audio. It happens at different points during the process whether the clip is 1 hour or 6 minutes.

I'm connected via firewire to the Canopus/Grass Valley ADVC-700 (supposedly works with Windows 7). I have analog (BNC composite video, XLR balanced audio) output to my playback system for ingest.

I've checked, unchecked a number of settings prior to doing the rebuild as noted above. I've updated all drivers to make sure I'm current. I've also installed a new firewire card (& reset drivers to Legacy) but have had similiar results.

The vendor where I got the custom build machine says I need to look at a Matrox MX02 converter instead of the ADVC-700. I don't want to blow another $1500 to only wind up back where I am now. I'm set to get a demo and see if that will help.

Looking for anything else to try as well as anyone else having similar issues with this type setup.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I'm connected via firewire to the Canopus/Grass Valley ADVC-700 (supposedly works with Windows 7). I have analog (BNC composite video, XLR balanced audio) output to my playback system for ingest.

Sorry, but output for ingest does not make sense. Or did you mean for playback? In that case make sure you have hardware MPE turned off. Otherwise there is no signal over firewire.

• 2. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
            SuffolkTV8 Level 1

Harm,

Sorry about the mis-type. I meant to note that I'm outputting via firewire to the ADVC-700 for ingest into my playback system (I have to play it into the system for MPEG record and can't transfer files).

I checked the MPE and it's MPE Software Only. It's greyed out so I can't change it as far as I can tell.

• 3. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Can you get regular playback via the ADVC-700 to a normal TV?

• 4. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                SuffolkTV8 Level 1

I have the output of the ADVC-700 running to a preview monitor via S-VHS, the composite video feeds my leightronix Nexus.

I don't know if that covers your question or not.

• 5. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, it answers my question, because it means that the PC exports the signal to the ADVC-700 correctly, the 700 exports the signal over S-VHS correctly, so the problem must be in the receiving part of your MPEG recorder, or the component out of the ADVC. Can't help you there, since I don't have that ADVC or MPEG recorder. Anyway, PR is doing what it should do.

• 6. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                    SuffolkTV8 Level 1

I understand. It's been a perplexing problem for two months.

However, I will note that when the audio/video "goes out" via composite output from the ADVC-700...it also goes out via S-VHS to that monitor. The timeline keeps playing and the monitor on the PC still displays video.

It has always seemed like the connection between the two units was the issue but I can't trace which side it is coming from in this situation.

I will also note that I've got (2) editing work stations with indentical setups...both with the same setup on the PC's (Windows 7, same system specs, CS5) as well as both have firewire outputs to separate ADVC-700 units. Both see the "black out" noted here. So, I figured that would rule out one piece in the chain being damaged as it would be tough to have it on both.

I'm hoping the Matrox unit will help rule in or out the external A/V converter and then point to or away from the PC setup. I'll spend the extra money if that is the "fix" in this instance.

I was hoping the rebuild of the C: would be the fix but it didn't assist.

• 7. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

To test if it's the 700 causing the issues, just get a cheap old DV camcorder, connect it via 1394 to your Premiere system, and do your play-out testing through that. If you're still getting the random dropouts, it's either your computer or Premiere (or possibly the 1394 cable if you didn't swap that out at the same time); if they go away, it's the 700. That should at least help you narrow the possible causes of the problem.

That all said, I deliver MPEG2 files for playback off a Leightronix Nexus--the cable access station I send them to simply loads them in via Ethernet (or possible an external drive--not really sure) and they playback over the cable system with no further transcoding. They are transcoded to streaming H.264 for web distribution, however. Does your Nexus only allow for analog capture, and not file ingest? If you can copy files, I'd be happy to send my AME encoding preset, which I set up with help from support at Leightronix. Feel free to PM me if you'd like the preset.

• 8. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                        SuffolkTV8 Level 1

Colin....I did try a dubout via firewire to my JVC GY-hd200u camcorder. I recorded 45 minutes of video with seemingly no drop-out as I saw in the regular setup. So..I'm beginning to think it's the ADVC-700. I've spent most of my time chasing the PC with no resolution yet.

The thing that tells me it's something in the setup of something in this process as it's consistent on both of my work stations with the same devices.

I can't think that I'm the only person with Windows 7, CS5, and ADVC-700 but...you never know!

• 9. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                          SuffolkTV8 Level 1

One other thing to throw into "the fire"....I have an older ADVC-500 unit and tried it with this same system...I had the same result. So...it could be something common with ADVC units with my setup. The 500 unit worked fine for my last editing system which was XP with Premiere 1.5.1.

• 10. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Interesting. I've not used a 500 or 700, but I have used a 100 and 300. I seem to recall there being some dipswitches on at least the 300 that sometimes caused problems if they weren't set right. I wonder if there is something like a limiter that is toggled on, such that when something superwhite (or otherwise "non-legal") passes through the A/D converter, it trips it and causes the output to blank out. Does it happen at the same spot in your sequence everytime, with both converters, or is it random?

Very peculiar...

*** LATER THAT EVENING ***

I used my Google-fu to find the ADVC-700 manual, and found something potentially illuminating:

advc700.png

My guess is that there is something in your sequence that isn't being output through the 1394 out to the 700, and that's tripping this "auto-mute" function, which apparently is the default setting. I'd start there...

• 11. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                              SuffolkTV8 Level 1

I'm going to try turning that "auto-mute" switch off as you noted. I had not changed the dip switches so they are still factory preset for NTSC.

I'll see if the auto-mute issue helps. I can only hope it's that simple!

As for when it has been occuring...it never happens at the same spot in the clip or at a certain time interval. One time I was trying to dub out a 1 hour program...literally in the last 5 seconds...I had a "blink".

I started it again and it happened approx. 17 minutes in. Did it again..and the result was 5 minutes in.

The "auto-mute" switch is where I'm headed now...it would make sense if it is the key.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll update after testing today.

• 12. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Here's the manual, if you don't have it: http://cdn1.grassvalley.com/unsecure/DL/ADVC700/documentation/ADVC-700_eng.pdf

The auto-mute is actually in the software/firmware settings that you access through the front panel, not with the dipswitches. The ADVC converters I used weren't that fancy to have an LCD and such

• 13. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                                  SuffolkTV8 Level 1

I found the setting in the front manual and changed it. I'm leaving the video paused on the timeline while I work in the office. I'm looking for a "blink" to occur/not occur.

Thanks again. I'll see how it goes over the course of today. I also reached out to Grass Valley again to see if they can evaluate. I wouldn't think it's something wrong with both boxes (would be odd to me) other than possible design issues with my systems. Who knows...just looking for solution.

Thanks.

• 14. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                                    SuffolkTV8 Level 1

Just saw a "blink"...so I'm guessing that setting change didn't help.  That was on the s-video output to my monitor.

I guess I'll wait on the Matrox unit to arrive for testing. I've checked all settings that I can think of (and many suggested by others) with no resolution to date.

The FUN continues....

• 15. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                                      Colin Brougham Level 6

Bummer. Well, considering that this appears to be at random, I'd be inclined to still believe that it is something in the hardware (the ADVC-700) rather than Premiere. If it was with your computer, the software, or the cable, you would have seen this with the DV camera you used. Perhaps GV has a firmware update for the 700?

Note that Matrox comes with its own set of issues; last I was aware, "official" support for CS5.0.3 was not available yet. Most report that it works, but YMMV.

• 16. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                                        SuffolkTV8 Level 1

I checked and the ADVC-700 doesn't have any driver updates. Doesn't seem they have updated them since the original release in 2006.

I'll wait to hear from them and see where that leads me. I've discussed this with a GV tech before but I was pursuing the PC at the time. I'll cross-check my old e-mails and see if there was anything in there. I don't recall anything major to pinpoint.

• 17. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I found this thread over on the Avid forums; no guarantees, but it might be something to look into.

Another thing to test is whether you are able to output successfully through the 700 with another application; even Windows Movie Maker should work for this. Spit out a DV AVI from Premiere, and load it into WMM, and try playing out there. If it works (as it apparently did in the thread linked to above), that might throw things back in Premiere's arena; if it exhibits the same "blank out" issue, that moves things back toward either the OS or the ADVC.

• 18. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                                            SuffolkTV8 Level 1

To update...I've installed/uninstalled a Matrox MX-02 setup. It worked on dub out with the only difference between Matrox and Grass Valley/Canopus unit being how it's connected to the PC (Matrox proprietary card/cable vs. firewire for Canopus).

When I setup the ADVC-700 unit again, I installed a demo for Edius...Grass Valley's editing software...and tried a dub out. It took saw loss of video/audio at certain spots.

So, my assumption is that I can rule out Adobe as it's not the only software with dropouts occuring in dub out.

That leaves me back to being a Canopus-Grass Valley firewire issue talking to the PC or the PC talking to the Canopus-Grass Valley. I had installed a different firewire card and it gave me the same issues. So, I'm going to work on the idea that the problem is in the Windows 7 drivers, ADVC-700 working with Windows 7, or ADVC unit itself being defective.

Thought I would provide this info for further review or update. Thanks for the help.

• 19. Re: CS5 on Windows 7 using ADVC-700 -- dub out issues (?)
                                              SuffolkTV8 Level 1

The fix seems to be a motherboard BIOS update. I've tried in both my editor and that of my co-worker with teh same setup and same issues. It was a 2009 ver and now is the Octobe 2010 ver (Supermicro is manufacturer).