5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 8:10 PM by Colin Brougham

EDL Editors

shooternz Level 6

Anyone have a suggestion for an EDL Editor  ( Win7)

I have found this one ( but wonder if it will run on a 64bit O.S)

http://www.frogsoft.com/edl_toolkit.htm

• 1. Re: EDL Editors
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Here's some reaaaaally expensive ones: EdlMax Products

What sort of editing are you looking to do? If it's nothing too extreme, you should be able to open up the EDL in a basic text editor--that's pretty much all the EDL is, anyway.

• 2. Re: EDL Editors
            shooternz Level 6

Thanx Colin

I havent used EDL for a long time ( since going tapeless)  but now I have need to use them in a workflow with another post house.

(C.C and Compilation)

I want to check the EDLs before I  give them to them.

In the past I always found that I needed to give tghe EDL a little "tweak" and I had an EDL editor to do so.

EDL Editors are a little easier than TXT file editing and dont break the structure.

I will try the one I downloaded.  ( Its free)

• 3. Re: EDL Editors
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Ah, got it. Not sure what the destination system is that you're delivering to, but you might also want to explore the AAF export from Premiere. They're maybe a bit more finicky than EDLs, but they can potentially be more capable, as well. Really depends on the intended target, though--FCP won't eat AAFs natively, if I recall (though you could export an FCP XML for that).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: EDL Editors
                shooternz Level 6

I will try an AAF just so I know what it does.

Files are headed for an AVID system and into  'Flame' and 'Resolve'

They are great fans of the Avid Codec you put me onto.

BTW: The little EDL app works fine.

• 5. Re: EDL Editors
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

The AAF might fare a little better than the EDL if you're using tapeless media; I haven't actually sent an AAF from Premiere out into the world, but I've brought an AAF from Avid into Premiere with relatively little trouble. That was back with CS3, too--though it was all DV-based stuff. Good to have options, though!

Glad the EDL editor worked; one to file away for that rainy day