8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2011 8:14 AM by the_wine_snob

Settings for AVCHD?

hurleyvcr Level 1

I have a Panasonic TM700 camcorder that I recorded footage at 1080 / 60p : MPEG-4 AVC/H.264.What is the best settings for pre9 to record to blu-ray?Should I be using one of the AVCHD or HDV or even DSLR(1080p30) settings and what would be the difference between those three? I realize 60p is not available for blu-ray but I shoot at that for archive reasons.

• 1. Re: Settings for AVCHD?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start by going to the FAQ and then Tips

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_faq

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_tips

I don't do 1080p so am not sure, but I **think** you need to shoot in 1080i to edit

• 2. Re: Settings for AVCHD?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You are likely to have problems editing your video in Premiere Elements if you shoot it in 60p mode.

If you shoot it in 60i, though, it should load in perfectly to a project set up for your AVCHD video format.

• 3. Re: Settings for AVCHD?
              hurleyvcr Level 1

I have loaded the 60p footage to the time line and seems to edit and play fine and added a couple of transitions.I know the output to blu-ray will not be 60p.Clip properties on the time line says 1920*1080,pixel depth:32,frame rate:59.94.

Twenty seconds is a wopping 60mb.

What should my project setting be for this,Avchd?

Computer is a i7-920 with 12 gigs of ram and a geforce gts-250(1gig) and lots of hard drive space.

• 4. Re: Settings for AVCHD?

The AVCHD 1920x1080 30 fps setting will work perfectly with the 60i footage.

• 5. Re: Settings for AVCHD?
                  hurleyvcr Level 1

My Panasonic Tm-700 is avchd and also uses flash memory so in project settings,there is an option for "avchd.full hd 1080i 30 5.1channel" and another one "hard disc,flash memory camcorders full hd 1080i 30".Can I use either one of those options and if not what is the difference?

• 6. Re: Settings for AVCHD?

It depends on which format you're recording in your camcorder. I believe that cam can shoot in stereo and in 5.1, so you have to set your project to match your footage specs.

Also, do NOT shoot in 60p format with that camcorder. Shoot in 60i or the footage can not be read natively in Premiere Elements 9.

• 7. Re: Settings for AVCHD?
                      hurleyvcr Level 1

Thanks Steve,Camera shoots in 1080 mpeg4 avc/H.264  I had already loaded 60p footage on the time line and added effects and it rendered ok (all green across the time line).So the only difference between the two settings in previous thread is the audio?

• 8. Re: Settings for AVCHD?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

And if you do shoot in DD 5.1 SS (you will need to choose that Preset, as Steve mentions), remember that PrE will ONLY Export/Share, or Burn to Disc, with a down-mixed stereo (2-channel) Audio Master Track. Personally, I would set the camera to shoot stereo (2-channel), and pass on the DD 5.1 SS, because that will usually pick up Audio signals, that the camera operator would not want, like conversations and noises behind the camera. The recording of 5.1 is a very intricate operation, and to do it correctly, would require 5 - 6 specialized mics., a mixing console and a separate recorder. Note: most 5.1 recording will be done with only 5 mics, and the LFE will added in the studio - it is seldom recorded, unless one has complete control and the material is shot on a sound stage. Then, very specialized mics will be used to record the LFE signals. The 5.1 recording on-camera is more of a sales tool, than a useful recording tool, even if one were to use PrPro w/ the Minnetonka Audo SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in, to Export DD 5.1 SS, the material from just the on-camera mics will likely be pretty much unusable, and have to be heavily edited. This is my personal opinion, but I work heavily in DD 5.1 SS, and have had to edit such material, and deal with the problems that it creates.

Good luck,

Hunt