1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 11:52 PM by p taz

HELP! Changing CMYK Black of Background of Photo in Photoshop?

OakBehringer69

In designing an album cover...

Album booklet to be printed in CMYK, obviously. I have an RGB photo, mostly black. After converting it to CMYK and using the channel mixer to return to the original brilliance, the black is CMYK 100-92-85-98. This is obviously too long of a black... way too much ink... using thin white fonts over it prints terrible, etc. How do I adjust the black of the image to something more favorable to printing, like 60-40-40-100?

Thanks!

Adam

• 1. Re: HELP! Changing CMYK Black of Background of Photo in Photoshop?
          p taz Level 3

If you convert correctly from tagged RGB (ie with an attached profile) to a correct for print cmyk profile that won't happen... the cmyk mix for rgb 'black' is dependent on the target cmyk profile.

With your rgb open and colour management enabled for the document, (in photoshop) then go mode/cmyk and it will convert to cmyk with the current working profile (photoshop colour settings) and whatever the max ink is in that profile, that is what you will get as a max (sometimes for complicated reasons it goes a little over) in cmyk.  If it is still too high, you can add a 'levels' adjustment layer and move the left slider either by channel or overall until you like the numbers.

Once you get that right, if InDesign is using the same profile again (cmyk) and you output a print-ready pdf also in the same profile, you will keep the numbers.  Any time you go from one cmyk profile to another, different one, there is a necessary conversion and those numbers will change, that is proper colour management behaviour.

There could be more to it but I am making several assumptions about how you are working here...

Message was edited by: p taz I should add that you can use the image you already have and simply add a levels adjustment but if your other settings are not right then you might end up back where you began.