2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2011 10:14 AM by CaptainEvil RSS

Lightroom 3.3 not recognizing photos on hard drive

CaptainEvil

Hi   I have all of my photos (50,000 plus:  yes, I need to start hitting the delete button hard and heavy..) on an external hard drive.   Suddenly, Lightroom 3.3 does not recognize some of  them, both ones which I have imported (39,709) and those which I am still working on importing (another 20,000 or so).   Yesterday,I had 39,709 photos imported into the catalog, tagged and worked on, and today, while it says it has 39,709 photographs, it only finds 18,302 photos on the hard drive from which I already imported them.  Many folders are not even listed under the hard drive from whence I imported them just days ago.   I checked the hard drive, and they are all still there.   Furthermore, when I click on a folder to open it in Lightroom, it shows only one or two photos in the folder, when in reality, there may be twenty or more.   What have I done wrong?   Captain Evil

• 1. Re: Lightroom 3.3 not recognizing photos on hard drive
          dj_paige Community Member

Hi   I have all of my photos (50,000 plus:  yes, I need to start hitting the delete button hard and heavy..)

Let me start by disagreeing with you. If they are keepers, then keep them.

Suddenly, Lightroom 3.3 does not recognize some of  them, both ones which I have imported (39,709) and those which I am still working on importing (another 20,000 or so).   Yesterday,I had 39,709 photos imported into the catalog, tagged and worked on, and today, while it says it has 39,709 photographs, it only finds 18,302 photos on the hard drive from which I already imported them.  Many folders are not even listed under the hard drive from whence I imported them just days ago.   I checked the hard drive, and they are all still there.   Furthermore, when I click on a folder to open it in Lightroom, it shows only one or two photos in the folder, when in reality, there may be twenty or more.   What have I done wrong?   Captain Evil

Do you have "All Photographs" selected in the Catalog Panel on the Left?

Do you have a filter active? (Ctrl-L will alternatively turn on and off filters)

• 2. Re: Lightroom 3.3 not recognizing photos on hard drive
            CaptainEvil Community Member

Sorry, I got called away from the computer...

Yes, All photographs is selected, and they come up, without question marks indicating that they are disconneced.  But when I try to continue importing from my external hard drive, it only lists a few folders;  18,302 pictures as being on the hard drive, instead of the 30,000.   I futzed around a bit, and I think aybe it has to do with unwanted alternate catalogs from the dark, early days of learning LR3.  I don't know how to find my prefered catalog or delete unwanted ones.   Also, that may not be the issue.  

Okay, it seems as though my hard drive is listed twice in the left panel of LR3.3... once with most, but not all of the hard drive folders listed on it, and once with only a fraction of the folders listed.   Hmm.   How odd.   CEvil