4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 1:11 PM by PJP66

AVI will not render in widescreen

PJP66

I have a Nikon D300S camera that shoots 720p24 HD widescreen video in AVI.  When I import it into Pre9, it comes in as widescreen.  But when I export it to my computer, no matter what I try, it does not render as widescreen.  I've selected NTSC widescreen in outsettings, also have changed advanced setting to render at maximum depth.  Have changed import settings from DSLR 720p24 to AVCHD 720p24.  Nothing works.  Comes in widescreen, goes out not (unless I use mpg out).

Can anyone help?

PJP

• 1. Re: AVI will not render in widescreen
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Let's concentrate on the ideals, and see if we can get this working for you.

Most Nikon DSLR's use MJPEG as the CODEC. This ARTICLE goes into a bit more detail on the MJPEG CODEC. The Nikon does not shoot AVCHD, so you can ignore that Preset group completely.

What is the ultimate output format for you? When we know that, we can concentrate on the Export/Share settings that will best suit your delivery.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AVI will not render in widescreen
            PJP66 Level 1

Thanks, Bill.  I ran GSpot and you were correct, MJPG (Name Motion JPEG)

was the codec.  GSpot also says that the codec is installed.

The format I'd like to export/share is AVI on widescreen.  I have no problem importing in widescreen, editing, etc.  I just can't seem to figure out how to export that way.

PJP

• 3. Re: AVI will not render in widescreen
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that confirmation.

OK, just to make sure that I am following correctly, you are working in an HD PAR = 1.0 (square pixels) Project, and are down-rezzing to NTSC DV-AVI Widescreen 16:9 PAR = 1.2, but are getting Standard 4:3 with PAR = 0.9. Is that correct?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: AVI will not render in widescreen
                PJP66 Level 1

Bill,

The original imported file was described in Pre9 with the settings of PAR 1.0 and was exported/shared as D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121).

I opened one of the rendered files in GSpot and it says the PAR is 1.185 (32:2.  Also, shows DAR 1.778 (16:9).  Says it is a DV Type2 AVI with dvsd codec.

When I play the rendered files, they are clearly not as wide as the original .avi file.  Apparently, they aren't 4:3 but they're also not the same width as the original widescreen.  Is that just the way it is?

PJP