6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 7:27 PM by RacerX2oo3 Branched from an earlier discussion.

questions about CUDA

ooooohnooooo

Hi there.

Just bought new station, with NVIDIA Quadro 4000 included, and I'm trying to get my head around this mess:)

Can you please help me with those questions:

1) Is Quadro 4000 fully supported by CS5?

2) Should I download some special soft and plug ins to fell the kick it should provide?

3) What about this RENDERING confusion, it's clearly said in hundreds of videos online that Rendering should be a lot faster (h264 and such). And it isn't. Also there is a MainConcept 5.1 codec - is it for real? From creators of it:

"Main Concept 5.1 gives CUDA H.264/AVC Encoding support for NVIDIA GPU accelerated H.264/AVC encoding for selected presets"

4) My playback isn't smooth at all:( I've got new station with 12Gb ram, RAID, i7 quadcore and Quadro 4000, edeiting standard h264 DSLR 1080p footage. I didn't even tryied famous 9 in 1 playing realtime, it's getting choppy with 2 already:/

GPU acceleration is on, everything seems to work fine. I'm confused. Moreover, my friend got exactly the same PC station only with cheap regular Geforce, and actually i don't see any difference. Am I doing something wrong or was I just tricked by Nvidia superb marketing? And it brings me to:

5) Most important: can You please advice us how to SETUP and use PREMIERE PRO, PHOTOSHOP, and such to take most of Quadro? Web is overrun with videos about how great and 10x faster it will be when you buy it;), but totally confusing when it comes to real advices.

Thanks a lot Todd

• 1. Re: questions about CUDA
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> 1) Is Quadro 4000 fully supported by CS5?

Yes.

> 3) What about this RENDERING confusion, it's clearly said in hundreds of videos online that Rendering should be a lot faster (h264 and such). And it isn't.

Rendering is the creation of images. That's faster. Encoding/compression takes those images and converts them to a specific format. That's not accelerated by CUDA in Premiere Pro CS5.

> Also there is a MainConcept 5.1 codec - is it for real? From creators of it:

"Main Concept 5.1 gives CUDA H.264/AVC Encoding support for NVIDIA GPU accelerated H.264/AVC encoding for selected presets"

Yes, MainConcept offers some additional software that uses CUDA to accelerate encoding/compression. That's separate from what Premeire Pro CS5 offers. If you have questions about that, then you should ask MainConcept.

> 4) My playback isn't smooth at all:( I've got new station with 12Gb ram, RAID, i7 quadcore and Quadro 4000, edeiting standard h264 DSLR 1080p footage. I didn't even tryied famous 9 in 1 playing realtime, it's getting choppy with 2 already:/

GPU acceleration is on, everything seems to work fine. I'm confused. Moreover, my friend got exactly the same PC station only with cheap regular Geforce, and actually i don't see any difference. Am I doing something wrong or was I just tricked by Nvidia superb marketing?

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) update? What operating system?

The CUDA acceleration only accelerates some things. If you have bottlenecks elsewhere, then those will still slow you down. For example, if you aren't using multiple fast local hard disks (one for OS and applications, one for source media, one for output files) then you'll have poor performance.

• 2. Re: questions about CUDA
            Jon-M-Spear Level 4

What about your hard drives?  How many?  Is your system drive separate (ie, not used for ANY PP CS5 storage/previews etc.  Are any of your drives partitioned etc, etc,

• 3. Re: questions about CUDA
              ooooohnooooo Level 1

Thanks for quick response, thats very kind of you.

I think Premiere pro updade might be the issue, i'm downloading 503 ver right now:)

As for hard drives, i have one HDD for system (Win 7 x64), and speed RAID (it's RAID-5 i think) for my projects and Premiere pro itself also. And another hdd for other purposes. I wonder if that configuration is ok?

So what should be perfect hard drive configuration?

I know that Windows shouldn't be on RAID, and should be on separate drive. It is.

What about scratch disks? Probably best to have separate also?

And you were saying ablut input/output files on separate HDD as well?

Hmm, its getting expencive:)

What would you recomend? As i said i have 4 hard drives - 2 separate and 1 speed RAID.

Windows on 1

project files on RAID

scratch disk on 2?

I can't think of any better configuration, but it would be great to have some advice.

By the way - i've read a lot about Main concept 5.1 plugin and apparently it gives about 25-50% rendering boost but codec seems to be worse in quality.

• 4. Re: questions about CUDA
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

By the way - i've read a lot about Main concept 5.1 plugin and apparently it gives about 25-50% rendering boost but codec seems to be worse in quality.

What do you mean? Codec for rendering? You may be mixing up rendering versus encoding.

• 5. Re: questions about CUDA
                  EstebanMartin Level 1

some helps,

Are you shure you has activated the mpe hardware at ppro ?

Are you using only the filters that works whit cuda ?

any others will slow your editing experience.

please tell us where do you have some troubles ? how many layers, filters, codec...

• 6. Re: questions about CUDA
                    RacerX2oo3 Level 1

Hopefully the update should fix your issues.  The Quadro 4000 was not supported by the Mercury Playback Engine until the 5.0.3 update.  Once you have update installed, make sure that you enable GPU Accelerated Mercury Playback Engine under the project settings.  You may find this thread helpful for your questions regarding rendering and CUDA processing:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/3416020#3416020 

Sean

Sean Kilbride

Technical Marketing Manager, NVIDIA