30 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2012 12:21 PM by opossumfx

aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5

cspecter Level 1

Our company just upgraded to AE CS5 and have been having some major problems trying to render in the background with aerender.  We use the BG renderer script quite a bit to render in the background.  We have tried the old version (1.6) and the new version (2) with no success.  Basically, the terminal window opens and this is as far as it ever gets:

aerender version 10.0.1x19

PROGRESS: Launching After Effects...

PROGRESS: ...After Effects successfully launched

station5:~ station5$

It always quits after the "successfully launched" line.  aerendercore never starts up.  In the console I get these lines:

1/20/11 10:26:54 AM [0x0-0x11a11a].com.adobe.aerendercore[4218] After Effects can't continue: sorry, After Effects has crashed. See http://www.adobe.com/support/products/aftereffects.html for known issues. If you still can't resolve the issue, please contact Adobe Technical Support (2).
      1/20/11 10:26:54 AM com.apple.launchd[102] ([0x0-0x11a11a].com.adobe.aerendercore[4218]) Exited with exit code: 1

We are running OS X 10.5.8 and AE 10.0.1.9.  AE is installed under a corporate admin account and we use in a regular user account.

Any ideas?  Could it be related to how it was installed?  Without background rendering out productivity has been cut dramatically.

• 1. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Do you have any firewall (third-party or OSX) enabled?

• 2. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
            cspecter Level 1

The firewall is off on our computers.  We have a corporate firewall that the internet is run through, but nothing running on the computer itself.  How would this effect the issue?

• 3. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
              lloydalvarez Level 1

Sounds like there might a problem with your After Effects installation.  Do you get this error with any project or with a particular project?  My first recommendation would be delete the AE prefs, if not a full reinstall of AE might be necessary.  Have you been able to render with aerender at all since upgrading?

-Lloyd

• 4. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                cspecter Level 1

Hey Lloyd.  Thanks for the reply.  So it gives the same error on all projects.  I've tried deleting the prefs, but will try again and see what happens.  We haven't been able to use aerender at all, either via BG renderer or the command line.  We'll try to reinstall AE and see what happens.  The weird thing is that we have several workstations here and it does the same thing on all of them.  Thus my admin question.  But maybe something didn't get installed right.

• 5. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                  lloydalvarez Level 1

If it is happening on all work stations then I would suspect that it is something network related.  Are they normal user machines or remote users.  Obviously this is beyond the scope of BG Renderer, just throwing out ideas.

-Lloyd

• 6. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                    cspecter Level 1

We figured it out I think.  It was working under the admin account, just not the user accounts.  We deleted the prefs on the user account and now it's working fine.  Seems as though when installed by an admin AE creates some weird pref that does not allow a user account to start aerendercore.  I don't know why deleting the prefs before didn't work. 

My advice to anyone running across this problem in the future is to make sure you are logged in as the User and delete your prefs.  Deleting them as an admin didn't seem to work.

• 7. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                      TimeRemapper Level 4

cspecter wrote:

The firewall is off on our computers.  We have a corporate firewall that the internet is run through, but nothing running on the computer itself.  How would this effect the issue?

There have been some errors recently regarding TCP comms on local machines (being blocked by aggressive firewalls) preventing launch of certain CS5 programs. Your corporate internet firewall shouldn't affect this though.

Do you have the preference for allowing scripts to access the network enabled in the general prefs?

• 8. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                        TimeRemapper Level 4

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

• 9. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                          lloydalvarez Level 1

Great.  Thanks for posting the followup.

• 10. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                            cspecter Level 1

So the admin thing was actually not the problem.  The problem is that aerender (and by extension BG Renderer) will not work if After Effects is using a custom User Workspace.  If AE is set to use a stander layout (Animation, All Panels, etc) BG Renderer works great. But if it is set to use a custom workspace it breaks for some reason.  If I switch from my custom workspace to a standard one it will render.  It just won't render when the custom workspace is open.  I also tried docking and undocking the BG Renderer panel, but no dice.  Could this be a bug within the BG Renderer script, or is it an AE thing?

• 11. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                              cspecter Level 1

An additional note.  It's not just custom workspaces.  It's any custom setting.  I made a custom Output setting and as long as that setting exists aerender will not run.  If I delete it, it will run.  Any ideas?

• 12. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                lloydalvarez Level 1

This has to be something unique to your setup because I use a custom workspace and custom settings every day.  Either way this is definitely an aerender thing because all BG Renderer does is pass your project to aerender in the command line.  Once aerender successfully launches BG Renderer job is done unless you have any notifications which kick in after aerender is finished either by completing the render or aborting on an error.

I just specifically tested this by creating a new custom workspace and custom settings and outputs and it rendered without incident.

-Lloyd

• 13. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                  cspecter Level 1

So apparently it's not the workspace.  It's the custom Output Module.  Everything works fine as long as we don't create any new Output Modules.  But as soon as we make one aerender stops working.  Doesn't matter the settings.  Sounds like a question for an Adobe person.  Thanks for the help anyway!

• 14. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                    lloydalvarez Level 1

Can you tell me what steps you are taking to create the new custom OM and what version of AE and OS you are running so I can recreate it here and see if I can reproduce the bug?

I would also file a bug with adobe with the same information here:  http://adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Lloyd

• 15. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                      cspecter Level 1

Sure thing.  We are on OS X 10.5.8 and AE 10.0.1.9. 

I've been starting by deleting all the prefs in the user/library/preferences/After Effects/10.0 folder.

After booting up AE I first go and click the "allow scripts..." setting then open the BG Renderer script and authorize.  At this point I then test to make sure it's working, which it is.

Next I'll go and optn the" Output Modules..." menu item.  I click "New..." then select Format Options and pick ProRes 422 (though I have tried other formats, they all act the same) and click on the Audio checkbox.  Click Ok, then name the output something.  Then I try executing BG Renderer and it gives me the error.  Trying to launch aerender via some other means (Terminal or the aerender droplet) also don't work.

I've also tried editing an existing Output Module or deleting one with the same result.  Very perplexing.

• 16. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                        TimeRemapper Level 4

This may be a stab in the dark, but have you tried repairing permissions?

• 17. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                          cspecter Level 1

Tried that.  We've tried everything short of reinstalling the OS and all software.  The weird thing is that we have this issue on all our workstations.  They all act the same way.  If you guys think of anything else, let me know.  Thanks.

• 18. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                            cspecter Level 1

Just wanted to let you guys know where we are at.  So the output module thing was not the problem, it was just a symptom, as at some point deleting the AE prefs did not fix the problem.  What seems to be happening is that something that After Effects is doing is breaking multiprocessing.  If we create a new user, everything works fine for a couple days.  Then something happens; aerender no longer works AND multiprocessing in-app no longer works.  We can only get it to work again by creating a new user on the machine.  Very annoying.  It seems to be related to the 10.0.1 update.  If we reinstall AE clean (10.0) multiprocessing seems to work, but so much other stuff is broken or funky it is unusable.  So we are sticking it out with 10.0.1.  Hopefully Adobe will fix this problem with a future update. 

• 19. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                              Lambnuke

Hi all:

I can verify that it is not something completely unique. We are having the same issue in 10.5.8 running AE 10.0.1.19, but not in Snow Leopard.

I repaired it by creating a brand new user account, and it worked for the morning, then it broke again. I'm not sure its related to BG Renderer becuase after it's broken, "manuallly" running it via text commands in Terminal does not work either.

If anyone can figure it out, would be great to know! Maybe I can try to find out which file in /Users/Library/Preferences it actually is, because trashing Terminal or AE Preference files makes no difference.

Thanks

• 20. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                cspecter Level 1

Hi,

We've been trying to figure out this issue since we upgraded to CS5 last month.  It has something to do with multiprocessing and nothing to do with the actual BG Renderer script.  I created another post about it, but no luck from the community.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/785389?tstart=150

We've also been given the runaround by Adobe support.  The last our tech team heard was that we either need to wait for an update (who knows how long that will take) or try it on Snow Leopard, which is an issue for us because we can't upgrade yet because of the SAN software we use does not work in 10.6 yet. 

If you find out a working solution, please post it up here.

• 21. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                  Lambnuke Level 1

I surely will post something if I figure it out. Sorry to hear that you have not had any luck yet. I'm familiar with XSan version restrictions so I can understand where you're coming from not being able to go to Snow Leopard.

• 22. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                    opossumfx

Hello everyone,  we have a similar issue.  The aerender does work, but it takes 20 minutes ( I timed it ) to actually start doing the render, then it renders fine.  Any news are great news.

• 23. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                      Jonas Hummelstrand Level 2

That's a typical sign you are low on RAM. Turn of "Render Multiple Frames

Simultaneously" and make sure AE has enough RAM.

• 24. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                        opossumfx Level 1

Hello Jonas,

thank you for your response.  Actually Multiple frames is off and I have 29GB out of 32GB assigned to AE in the preferences.

• 25. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                          cspecter Level 1

We have noticed a lot of issues recently running aerender from the BG

renderer script. If you are running CS5.5 or CS6 I suggest you start using

the Adobe Media Encoder app. It comes with After Effects. It't typically

used for encoding media from Premiere, but you can also render AE comps in

it. One advantage is that it renders AE comps much, much faster than

aerender or even in the AE app itself. With 5.5+ you can drag comps right

into it. The workflow is a little different, as you can't just set up a

queue and check them off, but the advantage is it's a true background

renderer and renders a ton faster than any other solution they provide.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 11:33 AM, erich@opossumfx.com <

• 26. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                            Jonas Hummelstrand Level 2

29 of 32 GB is your problem; you are giving AE so much there's almost

noting left for any other apps and the OS, which causes swapping to disk

which is really slow. Allocate max 4 GB per core you are using for

rendering in AE.

Please understand that AME uses AE in the background to render, so if you

think it is a lot faster than AE or AE via BG Renderer, then that is a

clear sign that you have either given AE too much RAM (causing the OS to

have to swap) or not enough (causing AE to be starved for RAM.)

I love using "BG Renderer" without multi-processing (so it just renders on

one CPU) so I can start one or several renders while I continue to work in

AE.

• 27. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                              opossumfx Level 1

Thank You cspecter,

Thank you for these news about the Media Encoder.  I am trying to figure out how to use it,  opening the AE project took a very long time,  dragging and dropping the comp I'd like to render took a bit less time, except I could not find out what it was doing.  I need to learn to tell it to use my render settings or create a preset so that the queue will use my preset.  I will keep you posted.

• 28. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                                opossumfx Level 1

Hello Jonas,

Ok, we tried doing this, we reduced the 29 to 4 and still it takes long time to start.  I opend up a button in the Memory & Multiprocessing Details and it shows me that the aerender is considered another instance of the AE application and I can see the RAM fluctuating from 8+ to 17+ GB.   This time I allocate half the memory to other applications. (16GB).   I did this because while I was testing the aerender, my open application of AE started to slow down so I was not working as efficiently as I wanted.   I will continue to do tests to see if I come up with settings that improve things.  I have also used the cache on/off to see if that helps or improves anything.

Speaking of cache, what is a good setting for the amount of cache to use?

Thanks

Peace Out

Erich

• 29. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                                  lloydalvarez Level 1

As Jonas suggested, try turning off multi-processing and launching several one-proc renders instead. You can do this easily with the 'Save BG Launcher' feature in BG Renderer

Also leave all the cache settings to their default values unless you know what you are doing when you change them.

• 30. Re: aerender and BG renderer not working on CS5
                                                                    opossumfx Level 1

Hello everyone,

I did a test that had not occured to me before.  I did a small simple animation, no footage, only a shape, and the aerender worked immediately.  The project that we normally work must be memory intensive, so how can we figure out what the correct balance for memory assignment?  Is there a section in AE help that talks about how to do this? Thanks

Erich