9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2014 8:15 PM by A.T. Romano

Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7

red34start

I am running PE8/Windows7 Home Premium on a Dell Studio XPS computer.  My DVD/CD ROM Drives are listed in device manager as follows:

HL-DT-ST-DVD+-RW 6H50N    and PLDS DVDRWBD DH-6E2S. I have used Windows to update my drivers and they told me that I have the optimum drivers.  (Maybe there is a better way;  I don't know).

I have successfully burned my project to a regular DVD but when I select "Blu-day Disc"  I get a message that says "no burners detected."  I have searched this forum and found the following that Bill Hunt posted on February 3, 2010:

If you have updated the burner's firmware, and it works with other  programs, and you have tried three brands (which ones did you use,  please?), then it would seem that something is getting in the way of the  process. Usually when this happens, there is some form of  "packet-writing" software, that is hooking the burner. However, when  this happens, one gets a totally different message, "no burner  detected," or similar. Still, depending on what might be hooking the  burner, I suppose that one could get another message.

To be honest, I have no idea what this means and no idea where to begin to solve this problem.   Any help will be much appreciated.   Thanks!

• 1. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

It looks like you have already seen this ARTICLE, but I'll post the link - just in case.

If you have updated the burner's firmware, and it works with other  programs, and you have tried three brands (which ones did you use,  please?), then it would seem that something is getting in the way of the  process. Usually when this happens, there is some form of  "packet-writing" software, that is hooking the burner. However, when  this happens, one gets a totally different message, "no burner  detected," or similar. Still, depending on what might be hooking the  burner, I suppose that one could get another message.

To be honest, I have no idea what this means and no idea where to begin to solve this problem.

There are programs that provide drag-and-drop functionality with a DVD/BD/CD burner. These use "packet-writing" technology to basically "trick" the OS into seeing a writeable disc in the burner as a HDD (Hard Disk Drive) - treating it as a "virtual drive." These programs load at boot-up, and at that time, tell the OS that anything writeable is really a virtual drive, and that the peripheral is not really a burner - treat it like another HDD.

PrE, older PrPro versions and Encore (all Adobe products) look to the OS for instructions on burners. The OS, thinking that the device is not really a burner, but another HDD, tells the Adobe product, "sorry, there are no burners on this system." At that point, the Adobe program tells you, "sorry, no burners detected," even though they are there and functioning properly.

Some other programs, like ImgBurn, the great, free burning utility does not ask the OS about burners. Instead, it goes to the system and looks for itself. It does not care what the OS thinks, as it's working at the machine-level. If it finds burners, regardless of what the OS reports, it will list those burners. That is what allows one to Burn to Folder (not a feature with BD), and then use ImgBurn (or similar) to do the physical burn to disc. It can find the burners, where the Adobe product relies on the OS to find those burners, and in this case, the OS says, "no burners here - they're all just HDD's... "

In the case of BD, one has two choices - find out what packet-writing program is hooking the burner at boot-up and stop that, or to use a program that will tell the OS that a folder on a HDD is actually a burner - basically a virtual burner. Then, the OS tells the Adobe program, "yes, there IS a burner," and the Adobe program will treat that folder, the virtual burner, just like blank media in a physical burner. I do not have a list of virtual burner utilities, but several have been mentioned over the years in this forum.

There is one other option, but it leaves an Adobe workflow much earlier - using another authoring software to do the authoring and burning. One such program MIGHT be Sony's DVD Architect. I say "might," because I do not know that program, or how it detects burners. Steve Grisetti, our MOD, has written a couple of books on that program, and loves it, so can tell you if packet-writing software and the OS impact it. I cannot. In that case, one would Export/Share the Project to a file, that would then be Imported into DVD Architect, where the navigation, Menus, etc. would be added, then do the burn to produce the DVD, or BD.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
            red34start Level 1

Wow, what a great explanation.  Thank you for taking the time to do that.

This is a relatively new computer and has two DVD programs---Power DVD DX

and Windows DVD Maker--that I did not put on it.  Would those be a good

place to begin the search for the program that is causing the packet-writing

issue?    Thanks.   Karen

• 3. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Karen,

I have a similar CyberLink program, plus Gear DVD, on my workstation, and have no conflicts with either of those. Now, my CyberLink is older, so things could have changed.

The Windows DVD burner program is slightly suspect, though not directly. Here, I am citing a troubleshooting experience that taught me some new things. A poster was having the same sort of problem, but did not have anything Nero, or Roxio (two common culprits, as they have each have a packet-writing module, InCD and DLA). We searched and searched, and finally the poster mentioned Quicken, the accounting program from Intuit. I had that on several computers, BUT they had never caused a problem. We worked into Quicken, and discovered that this poster had been Backing Up to Disk, from Quicken. They had chosen to Back Up to CD. As they did not have Nero, or Roxio, Quicken had invoked the Windows burning utility, and had set things up so that it was launched at boot-up, and also locked the burner, telling the OS that it was a CD burner (it was actually a full-featured multi-drive) at the system level, and then that it was really a virtual HDD. Adobe programs took the OS's word for it. Other programs, that relied on the OS, also saw it as a CD-only burner/device, even to the Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager - only listed as a CD burner. When we changed things, all access to that burner came back, and all programs, including Adobe, could use it properly. That does make me question the Windows DVD burner. On its own, it should be benign, but under the right direction, maybe not. Just something to look into.

Probably my first step would be to go to Run>MSCONFIG, and look at Startup, just to see what programs/processes ARE loading at boot-up. I'd also look in Services, just to check. These are various programs and processes, that are launched, before any of your main programs. Most are necessary, but many are not. If you see anything Nero, or Roxio, and especially InCD, or DLA, those would be the likely suspects. However, as my little story indicates, not the ONLY suspects. Unfortunately, the MSCONFIG screen (unless it's been changed), will not expand to show everything in a screen-cap, so you might need to write down a list of all the programs/processes that get loaded. Maybe someone will recognize something to look into.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
                red34start Level 1

Once again, thanks.   I use Quicken and will also look into that.  Would not

have thought of that one right off as a potential problem.   Karen

• 5. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The only times that I have seen Quicken enter into the burner issue, is where one has used its Back Up to Disk, and then has chosen the CD as a destination. If one only does a Back Up to Disk, and chooses an existing HDD, that packet-writing will NOT be invoked, as a HDD (whether internal, or external) can be freely written to. It is when one is trying to write to a removable optical medium, such as a blank writeable CD, that the medium must be seen, just like a HDD. If you have not done a Backup to Disk, using writable optical media, like a CD, then it should not be in your list of "suspects."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
                    endfates Level 1

I recently had this problem myself and got it resolved by installing more video codecs.  Its strange that the program did not have all the codecs needed to work.  Codecs are basically language/translation info for various media types.  This did the trick, not the 10+ other ideas that people had that did not work for me.  Hope this helps.

• 7. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

endfates

Apparently you are sharing the same message here that you shared in the 2010 thread that you just re-surfaced tonight.

My important questions to you are the same here as there

endfates

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

With what type of burner are you working where you had this burner not recognized issue - Blu-ray/DVD/CD or just DVD/CD?

What specific video codecs did you find it necessary to install beyond what was provided for by the program, QuickTime, Windows Media Player,

and the usual assortment of players?

Besides "burner not recognized", did you have any "media not present" issues as well?

This information would be important since there is a 4 year gap between since the last entry in this thread (2010) and your post in this thread

tonight (2014).

Thank you.

ATR

Apparently, in this thread that we are in now, there is only a 3 years, instead of 4 years, gap between the last entry in thread (2011) and your post in this thread tonight (2014).

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
                        endfates Level 1

To answer your questions ATR.

I am using Premiere Elements 10 on a Windows 8.1 system.  Windows has been able to recognize the DVD burner ever since I got it, however, Premiere had trouble with this.  On an unrelated issue while trying to convert some videos - it was realized that the additional video codecs I downloaded addressed Premiere's issue of not finding a DVD burner despite having tried to do all the steps found on these forums. 

I have both a DVD Burner and Blu-Ray burner.  I have to reconnect the Blu-Ray buner to see if it works, and expect it to do so after realizing the codecs was the missing answer.

I used at least 2 codecs - VLC and DirectShow.  DirectShow was mentioned in one of Premiere's explainations or elsewhere and it hinted that additional codecs may have been needed.  These codecs were used in addition to the conversion software i used. 

As for your other question - windows device manager and elsewhere in the system reported no issues.  All were present and accounted for.  I even removed the DVD drive from windows manager as that was one of the solutions I found - didn't work for me.

I do realize that this is a 4 year old thread, but figured that the missing codecs may help fix the problem as I read several posts with no success reported.  Most problems were addressed to versions before or after what I had (10.0) so it seemed relevant as we all were trying to find a solution not a work around. 

• 9. Re: Blu-ray no burners detected PE8, Windows 7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

endfates

Thanks for the follow up with very important additional details of your particular situation and the solution that you found for it.

The no burner recognized and no media present situations are frustrating for the Premiere Elements burn to users.

In view of its significance to all, we will continue to look for reports of solutions for this matter and keep in mind your contribution

to determine if it works for others as it has for you.

Best wishes

ATR