3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 10:11 AM by Jeff Schewe

I'm stuck! Going from LR3 to CS5 I don't get Camera Raw dialog box

jlilflwr

I'm stuck. When I edit pics from LR3 to CS5 the Camera Raw dialog box does not open. Everything is updated.  I can get Camera Raw dialog box to open if I open a photo directly in to CS5.  I have looked at my external editing options.  All seems fine.  Please help.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: I'm stuck! Going from LR3 to CS5 I don't get Camera Raw dialog box
          RASouthworth Level 3

I'm not a LR user, but I believe it serves as your raw converter (similarly to ACR), therefore when you edit directly out of LR into CS5 the image is already rendered ready for CS5 usage.  If you start directly in CS5 then ACR is invoked for raw file conversion.

Richard Southworth

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I'm stuck! Going from LR3 to CS5 I don't get Camera Raw dialog box
            jlilflwr Level 1

Richard,

Thank you.  Makes complete sense.  Appreciate it.

• 3. Re: I'm stuck! Going from LR3 to CS5 I don't get Camera Raw dialog box
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Lightroom 3 is a raw editor...Camera Raw 6 is a raw editor in Photoshop. When you take an image from Lightroom and edit it in Photoshop, Lightroom's adjustments are used and the image opens directly in Photoshop. No Camera Raw dialog because the edits set in Lightroom are processed into the file opened in Photoshop. The ONLY way to open an image from Lightroom that involves the Camera Raw dialog is if you open the image as a Smart Object.

If you really feel the need for the Camera Raw dialog you can use Lightroom's Library to select the image and then choose the command to show in Finder. Double clicking the original file will open the image in Camera Raw. Depending on whether or not you've saved your image settings to the .xmp metadata, you may or may not get the settings you've applied in Lightroom. But this really isn't a useful approach since Lightroom and Camera Raw share the same basic functionality with only slightly different usability.