2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 11:31 AM by Steve Grisetti

Shaky and Jerky Transitions

NewbieinWA

As the name implies I am new to this froum and to Premier 9.

I am having trouble with transitions in my Title sequence.

Some seem to work well in my  (don't know why) and some are jerky or don't resolve until

halfway  through the title.

I have three elements (pages, parts, or Title frames, not sure what to call them) in my title sequence: a Logo, the name and producer of the project, and the title of this specific lesson. 

I would  like to fade up from black to each element and then down to black after each one.  Ideally I would like to cross fade between #2 & #3.

I have been using the"Dip to black" transition and the Cross Fade transitions in Elements 9 with only limited success and I don't understand why it works

when it works or why it dosen't work when in dosen't work.

The fade up from  black to the first title element and then back down to black at the end seems to work well,

However, the fade up to the second element is jerky at best.  Sometimes it just cuts from black with no fade at all. The cross fade happens in steps of

transition and just pops to the third element.  The last transition, from the third element to black also works well.  I have adjusted the duration of transitions as well as the duration of the elements.  Nothing seems to work.

I got some information about "Rendering" and I don't know what that means in this context.

I was also instructed to "attach a screen-cap of your Timeline, with the Title and Transitions  showing" and I am not sure what that is or how to do that.

The links provided produced error pages.

Thanks for any help, assistance or guidance anyone can provide.

Thom

• 1. Re: Shaky and Jerky Transitions
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Thom,

Rendering is used for the smoothest playback of the Timeline. When one adds a Title, whether overlay, or as a stand-alone Clip, and Transitions, a red line will appear above those. This means that for the smoothest possible playback, those elements will need to be Rendered. Basically, what this does is creates a "proxy" file, just for the playback, to simulate how it will look upon Export/Share. This is accomplished by hitting the Enter key, or Return key on the Mac. One can also limit the Rendering to just a portion of the Timeline by setting the WAB (Work Area Bar). This will show the WAB in PrE 4.0, but it works the same way in PrE 9:

WAB_Info_01.jpg

As for the screen-cap, here is the URL to that article. Just Copy and Paste that into your browser's URL box: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=60

If the active link is not working for you, it is likely to be an issue with your browser, or security settings.

By showing us exactly what you are doing with the Titles and Transitions, someone can likely direct you as to how to get the results that you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Shaky and Jerky Transitions
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're interested, my books explain the various transitions, what they are and how to use them.

I've also got some free Basic Training tutorials that may help get you started.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Jerkiness in a transition can be, as Bill says, an indication that you need to render your timeline.

They can also be related to your source footage.

What kind of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer? Which project setting did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

In order to get the best peformance from Premiere Elements, it's very important that your project settings match your camcorder's video specs. Otherwise you can have issues with performance, interlacing and other buggy behavior.